Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 14 2010, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (KW84 @ Aug 14 2010, 02:20 PM)
I cannot wait till monday night!

Sunday night: 2.gif
Monday night: Porcupine Tree

1022.gif  653.gif  common001.gif  applaudit.gif  icon_alienjig.gif

WOW! RUSH and then PT in two nights! Enjoy! yes.gif common001.gif

I will

Thanks!

Its sooo good being spoiled! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 14 2010, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 14 2010, 12:49 PM)
Getting kind of worried......  My show is Wednesday, and my ticket has still not come in the mail.

Where did you order it from?

Ticketbastard.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 9 2010, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2010, 05:45 PM)
The Incident is about the LAST place I'd start with PT.

I'd say The Sky Moves Sideways would be the last place I'd start. That one I still haven't been able to listen to more than a few times. The Incident is a masterpiece, in my opinion. It's all relative, of course. Personal taste and all that.

Reverse Polarity and all that too! rofl3.gif

Sky Moves Sideways was the first album I bought, although I had previously downloaded a ton of indivdiual songs prior to that. SMS is definitely a masterpiece to me. I listen to Moonloop Improvisation/Moonloop (Coda) about once a day when I'm on the computer/net.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 13 2010, 08:59 AM)
Both the grey and red versions of the Special Edition of "Anesthetize" are sold out!

Glad I got my copy, I'd just wish they'd ship them already.

I remember waiting for my copy too. It seemed like forever. By contrast, I was really pleased when it arrived, not just the enjoyment of opening the package, scanning the photos and watching the performance, but also Burning Shed does a really nice job of shipping their packages. The cardboard box that Anesthetize arrived in was specially designed to absorb the impact of shipping procedures. But the book inside was pristine and unharmed. Kudos to Burning Shed for such excellent service! yes.gif

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 5 2010, 06:42 PM)
I'm really bummed out! I didn't remember to pre-order my limited edition Porcupine Tree Blu Ray DVD in the hardbound book with the two bonus live cds and the color photos!

SHIT! 1000 with a red cover and 4000 with a gray cover.

I'm totally depressed! I FAILED!

Who was lucky enough to score one????

Earl

That's so depressing, Steven Wilson should write a song about your experience!

eh.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 15 2010, 06:19 PM)
Finally watched the DVD tonight....

I love the "Arriving Somewhere" dvd, and I did not think PT could outdo themselves with the new DVD..

But they just did, from the audio, video, production quality, and song choice... This DVD is twofold better.........

Get this DVD....... it is a must.

What Owl said! I agree 100%! trink39.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 14 2010, 07:25 PM)
..and I suppose thus is born the on-going debate among PT fans: The validity of The Incident as being among their best work.

I don't worry about opinions, obviously. I hold The Incident in the top three of my favorite albums of all time.

But, I do respect the point of view of those who don't.

You know... the whole assholes and opinions thing... wink.gif

moon.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 14 2010, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 16 2010, 08:23 AM)
lets bump this rascal back to the first page where it belongs.

PT =  1022.gif

Working on it! wink.gif

You won't let it leave the top 5 in MOTS

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 23 2010, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 23 2010, 12:31 AM)
Here is an incredible point of view from SW concerning the de-valuating of music quality in the MP3 age:

http://emusician.com/interviews/in_the_mix...pression_blues/

By all accounts, I am a demon in his eyes. I listen to my music via my iPod Nano or through my ear buds plugged into my computer. What he doesn't account for is that a lot of us cannot afford anything beyond these denigrated conveniences that are the only way we are allowed to enjoy the music he and others put out. If I didn't listen on my iPod, I wouldn't have the opportunity to listen, other than in my car. I am fortunate enough to have a high-grade system in my minivan, as strange as that might sound. But, I'm not about to spend my life in said van for the benefit of hearing music at its highest level of quality. I also can't afford a nice home stereo. I have a crappy little thing that won't even play every CD I have, it's so shitty. That's real life, pal. Give a guy/girl a break and think outside your bubble. Some of us have only limited means by which we can listen to the music you make. Stop being a snob, Steven Wilson. Be grateful that you have the fans you do.

This subject pisses me off, you guys. If I had tons of money, I would have a top-of-the-line stereo system. I DON'T WANT to listen to music on my iPod. It's all I have. I understand his point of the lower level of quality, but it is what it is. And, for some of us, it's all we've got.

Of course he is a sound snob. He has won many awards for his abilities in mixing. The fact is as well, he is right about digital music being inferior. I have a hard time listening to anything below 256kps. I totally get annoyed with the chirpiness of the high end.

One of the few points of divergence of opinion between myself and Mr. Wilson. I enjoy listening to digital music and the convenience of it. I grew up with vinyl and prefer not to listen to it anymore. I don't care for the pops, hisses and skips on records. I went through a bad batch of new records as a kid that was really disappointing. I went through 3 or 4 brand new copies of Led Zep IV (Zoso) that skipped several times through Black Dog. Extremely annoying. By contrast, I've never had a single problem with CDs, DVDs or Blu Ray (unless they were rentals). I'm never going back to vinyl.

That said, I respect Wilson's views and can appreciate his thoughts on art vs. pop music on an iPod. It's a lot more fun to listen to your favorite band and ponder a large gatefold album rather than the tiny CD paperwork. It's also imporant to appreciate what one purchases and listens to, along with enjoying the artwork. But frankly, I have no complaints and have enjoyed multiple hours listening to all the music I have downloaded or purchased on CD.

Addendum: I might feel different if I was a professional musician whose music was pirated, criticized and ignored in a few days . . .

(i.e. "Dark matter flowing out on to a tape

Is only as loud as the silence it breaks

Most things decay in a matter of days

The product is sold the memory fades")

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 14 2010, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 5 2010, 06:42 PM)
I'm really bummed out!  I didn't remember to pre-order my limited edition Porcupine Tree Blu Ray DVD in the hardbound book with the two bonus live cds and the color photos!

SHIT!  1000 with a red cover and 4000 with a gray cover.

I'm totally depressed!  I FAILED!

Who was lucky enough to score one????

Earl

That's so depressing, Steven Wilson should write a song about your experience!

eh.gif

tongue.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 14 2010, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 14 2010, 07:12 PM)
Anyone figure out yet which album this extended version of Disappear is on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqn8h2QIaD4

i may be mistaken but i think its on disc 2 of the stupid dreams demos.

listening now pretty sure... cool10.gif

Tangy,

Are these out of print? Any links to where they might be available?

QUOTE (KW84 @ Aug 14 2010, 06:20 PM)
I cannot wait till monday night!

Sunday night: 2.gif
Monday night: Porcupine Tree

1022.gif 653.gif common001.gif applaudit.gif icon_alienjig.gif

...spooge...