Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 19 2010, 10:04 AM)
Thanks all, it was a good time..

One other thing that was kind of Bullshit was the whole Black Card thing that the some of the Coheed fans had, I would have had a better spot if it weren't for that.

that is bullshit and there are a few people at a PT forum i post on complaining about "rude" C&C fans. I think thats much ado over nothing but its a strange combo of groups.

I have been liking the new C&C with the first 5 songs all being real strong IMO. They have been playing 4 songs off YOTBR so at least i will familiar with some of their material.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 18 2010, 07:07 PM)
Is it still just idle chatter? That total pipe dream of a Modern, Prog Rock Supergroup that was supposed to materialize between Steve Wilson, Mike Akerfeldt and Mike Portnoy, +1....What's up with that?...Is this just destined to go down in the record books as an unfulfilled rumour at best? I don't see this happening...although I want it to...

Portnoy has never really been a part of the project, unless you talk to him. Every time Wilson has been asked about it, he talks about it being a project between him and Akerfeldt.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 19 2010, 10:35 AM)
Is it still just idle chatter?  That total pipe dream of a Modern, Prog Rock Supergroup that was supposed to materialize between Steve Wilson, Mike Akerfeldt and Mike Portnoy, +1....What's up with that?...Is this just destined to go down in the record books as an unfulfilled rumour at best?  I don't see this happening...although I want it to...

Portnoy has never really been a part of the project, unless you talk to him. Every time Wilson has been asked about it, he talks about it being a project between him and Akerfeldt.

there was news about this recently ( within the last 12 months if i recall correctly ) and supposedly its a go.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 19 2010, 11:35 AM)
Is it still just idle chatter?  That total pipe dream of a Modern, Prog Rock Supergroup that was supposed to materialize between Steve Wilson, Mike Akerfeldt and Mike Portnoy, +1....What's up with that?...Is this just destined to go down in the record books as an unfulfilled rumour at best?  I don't see this happening...although I want it to...

That is because SW has class. smile.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 20 2010, 09:19 AM)

Can you name a musician who has done more for PT than Portnoy?

Is that a joke? What, because PT once opened up for DT like 10 years ago, that somehow means Portnoy has done more for PT than anyone else? Pfft.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 20 2010, 11:01 AM)

Is that a joke? What, because PT once opened up for DT like 10 years ago, that somehow means Portnoy has done more for PT than anyone else? Pfft.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Personally, I would like no association of Peartnoy with PT. Myung, Petrucci, and LaBrie...no probs. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing JP do a guest guitar solo with the Porcupine Peoples.

Here's an idea! I would like to see a SW, GH, JP, JL, and Myung project.

edit: They could call it Porcupine Theater. laugh.gif

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 20 2010, 10:01 AM)

No i am curious, who else has been saying and writing positive things about PT? MP has been a huge fan and has been recommending PT for a long time now.

Can you name someone who has also been pimping PT?

Fact of the matter is that without question MP turned me onto PT. I first read about PT from Portnoy back in 2000 or so. I downloaded a song or two and really did not catch onto for me. Well, I keep reading more positive things about PT at the portnoy forum from MP and the forumers over and eventually i came around circa FOABP.

Dream Theater is listed a friend of band at PT.com. I do think that PT opening for DT was great exposure for PT and probably their best exposure as an opening act.

What other groups have PT opened for that gave them that much exposure?

Tell you what, I bet PT wishes they were opening for DT right now and not opening for Coheed & Cambria! pokey.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 20 2010, 11:36 AM)
Tell you what, I bet PT wishes they were opening for DT right now and not opening for Coheed & Cambria! pokey.gif

I can't see that. If they had a choice, they would tour with Opeth or maybe Anathema.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 20 2010, 10:45 AM)
Tell you what, I bet PT wishes they were opening for DT right now and not opening for Coheed & Cambria!    pokey.gif

I can't see that. If they had a choice, they would tour with Opeth or maybe Anathema.

funny thing, Opeth was just the opening act for DT!

The point I making is that if you somehow think that Steven Wilson has too "class" to associate himself with Portnoy you are mistaken.

I notice that you and the k man have yet to name anyone else who has helped PT out along the way. surely there must be many others???

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 20 2010, 10:45 AM)
Tell you what, I bet PT wishes they were opening for DT right now and not opening for Coheed & Cambria!    pokey.gif

I disagree with this. I know that they would rather be playing with DT, Opeth, or a myriad of other bands, that PT would call friends, but playing a co-headlining with Coheed is doing wonders for exposing PT to a wider audience..

At the Concert the other night half the people there were listening to Porcupine Tree for the first time, whereas if PT was playing with DT or Opeth it would be pretty much a given that DT and Opeth fans are already pretty familiar with PT already......

Playing with Coheed should help them get some well deserved exposure.

I absolutely agree that Portnoy/DT was pivotal in bringing PT to the prog metal community's attention, which is pretty much where they now thrive. Not to mention, DT has a massive US audience which has allowed PT to get much needed exposure in America.

That being said, I do get the feeling that SW is slowly distancing himself from the idea of doing a side project with MP, and restricting it mainly to Mikael Akerfeldt. I'm sure this is nothing malicious against MP, but I just don't think SW really enjoys DT's music/Mike's influence.

Them touring with C&C is a really interesting and unique pairing and I'm looking to kill the person responsible for not bringing it to Philadelphia. tongue.gif

Edited by GrandDesigner

for the record. i really don't give a shit about MP being the biggest help to PT, there must be many others i can't think of but to suggest that SW is too classy for MP is just wrong.

from the PT site:

Friends and Collaborators

Oceansize

Inventive and powerful UK band that opened for Porcupine Tree for many shows during their European tours in 2005.

Paatos

The atmospheric Swedish band that blend post rock / jazz / progressive / trip hop and melancholia into a unique blend. They opened for PT during 2005 and SW also worked with them on their second album.

Anja Garbarek

Norwegian singer songwriter. SW co-produced her "Smiling and Waving" LP.

Opeth

Swedish progressive metal group par excellence. SW co-produced their "Blackwater Park" LP.

Marillion

Many connections between this (still) ambitious rock band and Porcupine Tree.

Dream Theater

The originators of progressive metal - PT supported them on their Autumn 2000 tour.

Aviv Geffen

Israeli singer songwriter and peace crusader. SW has written and recorded with Aviv in the Blackfield project.

Anathema

Epic metal with similarities in feel to PT. Have opened for PT several times.

Sonic Youth

Unbelievably influential US avant rock group whom PT supported in London (and didn't quite get bottled off!)

http://www.porcupinetree.com/community.cfm

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 20 2010, 11:20 AM)
I absolutely agree that Portnoy/DT was pivotal in bringing PT to the prog metal community's attention, which is pretty much where they now thrive. Not to mention, DT has a massive US audience which has allowed PT to get much needed exposure in America.

That being said, I do get the feeling that SW is slowly distancing himself from the idea of doing a side project with MP, and restricting it mainly to Mikael Akerfeldt. I'm sure this is nothing malicious against MP, but I just don't think SW really enjoys DT's music/Mike's influence.

Them touring with C&C is a really interesting and unique pairing and I'm looking to kill the person responsible for not bringing it to Philadelphia. tongue.gif

I agree that SW is not much of a DT fan and they are listed as friends, not influences.

what i read most recently was that it was a go. that SW and MA were working on the beginnings and that it was unlike anything any of them had done before.

MP said something to the effect that he wished the rumor had never developed as its been around for years now and the expectations are too high

that they will be impossible/near impossible to meet.

There should be ONE MAJOR PROGFEST touring the globe next Summer...with Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth and Spock's Beard ALL sharing equal billing...

Then, as the tour moves around from one region to the next, they can add openers from the individual areas the tour is visiting...Plenty of really solid prog-leaning bands out there which have a minimal following, and hopping on a festival like this one would help them all.

Make the event a 'whole day affair', and let it unfold at venues like Randall's Island off the shore of Manhattan in NYC...

This is my dream.

Build it and they will come.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 20 2010, 12:20 PM)

Maybe so based in your travels, but every Prog Forum I visit has multiple PT threads and polls and such. Prog is where PT thrives, IMO. Of course, I don't visit metal forums, so I can't speak to this.

They are a difficult band to identify in genre though. They have had so many sounds. I am very glad they do what they do.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 20 2010, 12:30 PM)
There should be ONE MAJOR PROGFEST touring the globe next Summer...with Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth and Spock's Beard ALL sharing equal billing...

Then, as the tour moves around from one region to the next, they can add openers from the individual areas the tour is visiting...Plenty of really solid prog-leaning bands out there which have a minimal following, and hopping on a festival like this one would help them all.

Make the event a 'whole day affair', and let it unfold at venues like Randall's Island off the shore of Manhattan in NYC...

This is my dream.

NEARfest used to be the biggest North American Prog festival I believe.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 20 2010, 11:34 AM)

This is my dream.

What I'd like is a traveling prog-festival. Nearfest was way out of reach for me this year. And, damn it if that was the only US date Riverside played this year. Talk about PISSED!!!!!!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 20 2010, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 20 2010, 11:34 AM)

This is my dream.

What I'd like is a traveling prog-festival. Nearfest was way out of reach for me this year. And, damn it if that was the only US date Riverside played this year. Talk about PISSED!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see if the Progressive Nation Tour is resurrected.

I hope it is.

^^^^ wow, prog archives has just under 30,000!

Our users have posted 2,249,551 Posts in 61,684 Topics in 33 Forum(s)

Last Post; Today at 12:25 By A Person

We have 29,347 Forum Members

The Newest Forum Member is infinityisgone

is that the biggest prog site?