Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 17 2010, 10:23 AM)
The above posted setlist just made me curious...The answer to this question might be obvious to all ya'll...but not me...Is there some kinda resource online where all the recent PT setlists are being posted...

I'm all hooked up with tix to the September, Radio City Music Hall gig in NYC (first PT show for me) and want to get a general idea of what the band has been giving their audiences each night...Does the PT official site have something like, or maybe a fan site?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/porcupine-tree-63d6b2fb.html

That's where I go for all my setlist info. As you can see, Porcupine Tree has over 60 pages of chronicled setlists. Great for fan-geek research. smile.gif

I received the Anesthetize DVD/Blu-Ray on Monday, and have been watching it a few songs at a time since then. It's as great as expected. The sound quality in 5.1 is stellar -- clear and punchy and ballsy. Lasse Hoile's video editing is mostly effective, with only "Way Out Of Here" suffering from over-editing (too many cuts).

I don't own Nil Recurring and had never heard "Normal," "Cheating The Polygraph" and "What Happens Now?" before now, and those songs are standouts. "Polygraph" is especially riveting on this disc -- it's ridiculously intense. "Anesthetize" and "Way Out Of Here" are the other go-to songs (the version of "WooH" on PT's website did not do it justice).

And at $20 for both the DVD and Blu-Ray, this is a steal.

Steven Wilson wrote this message on Facebook yesterday:

Hi folks - so the free gift with the Insurgentes double DVD pre-order is almost certainly going to be a CD of archive SW material, pre-PT, pre-No-Man, pre-everything. When I was a teenager I was experimenting with all sorts of things, including songwriting, electronic music, psychedelic and progressive music..etc.. and made hours and hours of primitive recordings. Some of this fed in to the early PT cassette releases, but I've never actually tried to compile a whole disc of music from this era. Normally I wouldn't let any of this music out of the archive, since it's pretty primitive and amateurish in many ways, but since the film talks about how I started to make music, and has a few clips of my early efforts, it seemed logical to extend this idea through to this bonus disc. Please don't expect anything of mind blowing musical quality of importance! Just a bit of historical context. I need to compile this when I get back from the current PT US tour, so I don't know exactly how much music will be on there yet, but I hope at least 30-40 minutes or so. The original 2,000 copies of the disc that were going to have this free gift with them sold out very quickly, but now that we know that this archive CD will be the item in question I decided with Burning Shed to extend the offer for the bonus CD at least until the end of August. So please if you want this disc don't wait until it's too late and then get pissed at me that you have to pay silly money for it on eBay! On that subject please note that there are currently 40 copies left of the Cover Version box set, and about 15 copies of the IEM box set left - neither of which will be repressed. Sorry, I know it's been an expensive year for SW related special editions, box sets...etc...but if it's any consolation from October I don't think there will be any releases for at least 6 months or so - after that 2011 should be all about new music.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 18 2010, 02:50 AM)

Hi folks - so the free gift with the Insurgentes double DVD pre-order is almost certainly going to be a CD of archive SW material, pre-PT, pre-No-Man, pre-everything. When I was a teenager I was experimenting with all sorts of things, including songwriting, electronic music, psychedelic and progressive music..etc.. and made hours and hours of primitive recordings. Some of this fed in to the early PT cassette releases, but I've never actually tried to compile a whole disc of music from this era. Normally I wouldn't let any of this music out of the archive, since it's pretty primitive and amateurish in many ways, but since the film talks about how I started to make music, and has a few clips of my early efforts, it seemed logical to extend this idea through to this bonus disc. Please don't expect anything of mind blowing musical quality of importance! Just a bit of historical context. I need to compile this when I get back from the current PT US tour, so I don't know exactly how much music will be on there yet, but I hope at least 30-40 minutes or so. The original 2,000 copies of the disc that were going to have this free gift with them sold out very quickly, but now that we know that this archive CD will be the item in question I decided with Burning Shed to extend the offer for the bonus CD at least until the end of August. So please if you want this disc don't wait until it's too late and then get pissed at me that you have to pay silly money for it on eBay! On that subject please note that there are currently 40 copies left of the Cover Version box set, and about 15 copies of the IEM box set left - neither of which will be repressed. Sorry, I know it's been an expensive year for SW related special editions, box sets...etc...but if it's any consolation from October I don't think there will be any releases for at least 6 months or so - after that 2011 should be all about new music.

Thanks for the info, Gompers.

I'll have to put listening to this "experimental CD" on my "To Do List" right underneath "Message from a Self-Destructing Turnip".

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 18 2010, 04:50 AM)

"...don't wait until it's too late and then get pissed at me that you have to pay silly money for it on eBay!"

Crap. Thanks SW. Now, the pressure is on to order this thing.

What a relief to hear there won't be any more of these "special" release thingies for a while. My nerves and my bank account are shot! wacko.gif

Thanks for the info. Gomp. smile.gif

Alright, damn it. I went ahead and ordered the Insurgentes DVD deal. God forbid if I should miss out on something. eyesre4.gif

Ordering the Cover Version CD box set this weekend.

I'm not so sure about that IEM box set...

I think I need an intervention.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 10:50 AM)

laugh.gif

I'm right there with ya.

My oldest son is already sick of PT. He likes the music, but he says, "Really Dad? PT again? Don't you have any other music in your iPod?" laugh.gif

My younger son loves PT and is coming with me to the Radio City show. Even he says I need an intervention.

I can't help it! I love this music. And the more I listen, the more I love it.

QUOTE (Natch @ Aug 18 2010, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 10:50 AM)

laugh.gif

I'm right there with ya.

My oldest son is already sick of PT. He likes the music, but he says, "Really Dad? PT again? Don't you have any other music in your iPod?" laugh.gif

My younger son loves PT and is coming with me to the Radio City show. Even he says I need an intervention.

There are much worse things to be hooked on, I suppose.

But, still... Why on earth should I be so interested in stuff he did when he was 13-years-old? What the hell is the matter with me? laugh.gif

I almost forgot that I need to jump on that pre-sale for the Recordings CD... unsure.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2010, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2010, 01:32 PM)
5 Hours!

hope you have a fantastic night! trink39.gif

+1 trink39.gif

The only down side I see is that the venue is an outdoor pavilion, and it's in the 100s in Central Texas....

Not gonna let that get me down though! 1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 11:50 AM)
Alright, damn it. I went ahead and ordered the Insurgentes DVD deal. God forbid if I should miss out on something. eyesre4.gif

Ordering the Cover Version CD box set this weekend.

I'm not so sure about that IEM box set...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

SW has a way of making his fans break their banks though. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2010, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2010, 01:32 PM)
5 Hours!

hope you have a fantastic night! trink39.gif

+1 trink39.gif

plus another trink39.gif

QUOTE (Natch @ Aug 18 2010, 12:00 PM)

Funny how it works that way. I can't believe how addicting the music is.

How could I forget this! doh.gif

From The Dividing Line Broadcast Network, special PT related shows.

General Page link

Richard Barbieri Interview

http://www.thedividingline.com/eventarchiv...-2009_09-04.mp3

SW interview

http://www.thedividingline.com/eventarchiv...odyssey_122.mp3

PT Special with SW Interview

http://www.thedividingline.com/eventarchiv..._pt_special.ogg

Older SW Interview

rtsp://www.thedividingline.com/eventarchives/the_dividing_line-steven_wilson_special.rm

PT Retrospective

rtsp://www.thedividingline.com/eventarchives/the_dividing_line-porcupine_tree_retrospective.rm

Is it still just idle chatter? That total pipe dream of a Modern, Prog Rock Supergroup that was supposed to materialize between Steve Wilson, Mike Akerfeldt and Mike Portnoy, +1....What's up with that?...Is this just destined to go down in the record books as an unfulfilled rumour at best? I don't see this happening...although I want it to...

Okay............ Where to start.............

- The Deer Hunter

First time I had ever heard anything by this band, but I will say that I was very impressed with this band, and will try to check them out a bit more... they are a bit like a watered down "The Mars Volta", but very talented.

- Coheed And Cambria

Gonna take this a bit out of order and give my reaction to Coheed first. I was exhausted (due to rocking out and heat) already after the Porcupine Tree set so I decided to take it to the back, grab a beer and enjoy them from the back of the crowd...good decision. The set was really good, though the sound was a bit too loud and you could not hear the dynamics that Coheed exemplifies on their studio albums...... but that was made up for the fact that Claudio Sanchez is one hell of a show man, every member of Coheed played their asses off and the crowd appreciated it. And the crowd for Coheed was killer... Like it or not about 65% of the audience (if not more) was there solely for Coheed, and while I like Coheed and have all their CDs I am not a fan who knows all the lyrics and can get into the celebration like hardcore fans. Speaking of which I had a bit more fun watching the fans crowd surfing (and taking huge falls) as well as a mosh pit that formed in the back (which I did jump into for about a minute)... great first time seeing Coheed..

- Porcupine Tree..

I had a pretty good standing spot for PT, center stage about 6 rows back (General Admission). PT's set was awesome, and I had so much fun watching them.....the set list is the same list they've been playing at these co-headlining shows.

1. Occam's Razor

2. The Blind House

3. Great Expectations

4. Kneel and Disconnect

5. Drawing the Line

6. Open Car

7. The Sound of Muzak

8. The Pills I'm Taking

9. I Drive the Hearse

10. Blackest Eyes

11. The Start of Something Beautiful

12. Way Out of Here

13. Sleep Together

"The Pills I'm Taking", "Blackest Eyes" and "Way Out of Here" were standouts...........

Audibly Porcupine Tree sounded great live, and the quality blew Coheed out of the Water... epically the stuff from "The Incident", which I enjoyed live so much better than the studio versions. Like I mentioned above most of the audience was there for Coheed, and I'd imagine unfamiliar with Porcupine Tree, but while I was close to the front and did not look behind myself much the audience reaction to Porcupine Tree was VERY positive, and got great applause from the ,once again, audience who was there mainly there for Coheed. I was in one of the few pockets of PT fans who sang along and rocked out during the set, but I was impressed with the reaction from Coheed fans. I wore myself out, but excessive fist pounding, and singing along, but had so much fun......... I would have loved a longer set, but I'll remember not to miss PT the next time they do a headlining tour.

IT was a great night overall, and one of the best concert experiences I've ever had..... my one gripe is that IT WAS f***ing HOT! Central Texas in August is in the 100s, and the venue was was an outdoor pavilion, even with the sun being set, the combination of humidity and being in the middle of a crowd makes it feel like a sauna. Even Steven Wilson mentioned that it was "A tad bit hot" (LOL)...... When PT was done and I was gonna chill in the back for Coheed I found a big industrial fan to stand in front of... but I did not let the heat ruin my good time..... Awesome show!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 19 2010, 01:33 AM)
Okay............ Where to start.............

- The Deer Hunter

First time I had ever heard anything by this band, but I will say that I was very impressed with this band, and will try to check them out a bit more... they are a bit like a watered down "The Mars Volta", but very talented.

- Coheed And Cambria

Gonna take this a bit out of order and give my reaction to Coheed first. I was exhausted (due to rocking out and heat) already after the Porcupine Tree set so I decided to take it to the back, grab a beer and enjoy them from the back of the crowd...good decision. The set was really good, though the sound was a bit too loud and you could not hear the dynamics that Coheed exemplifies on their studio albums...... but that was made up for the fact that Claudio Sanchez is one hell of a show man, every member of Coheed played their asses off and the crowd appreciated it. And the crowd for Coheed was killer... Like it or not about 65% of the audience (if not more) was there solely for Coheed, and while I like Coheed and have all their CDs I am not a fan who knows all the lyrics and can get into the celebration like hardcore fans. Speaking of which I had a bit more fun watching the fans crowd surfing (and taking huge falls) as well as a mosh pit that formed in the back (which I did jump into for about a minute)... great first time seeing Coheed..

- Porcupine Tree..

I had a pretty good standing spot for PT, center stage about 6 rows back (General Admission). PT's set was awesome, and I had so much fun watching them.....the set list is the same list they've been playing at these co-headlining shows.
1. Occam's Razor
2. The Blind House
3. Great Expectations
4. Kneel and Disconnect
5. Drawing the Line
6. Open Car
7. The Sound of Muzak
8. The Pills I'm Taking
9. I Drive the Hearse
10. Blackest Eyes
11. The Start of Something Beautiful
12. Way Out of Here
13. Sleep Together

"The Pills I'm Taking", "Blackest Eyes" and "Way Out of Here" were standouts...........

Audibly Porcupine Tree sounded great live, and the quality blew Coheed out of the Water... epically the stuff from "The Incident", which I enjoyed live so much better than the studio versions. Like I mentioned above most of the audience was there for Coheed, and I'd imagine unfamiliar with Porcupine Tree, but while I was close to the front and did not look behind myself much the audience reaction to Porcupine Tree was VERY positive, and got great applause from the ,once again, audience who was there mainly there for Coheed. I was in one of the few pockets of PT fans who sang along and rocked out during the set, but I was impressed with the reaction from Coheed fans. I wore myself out, but excessive fist pounding, and singing along, but had so much fun......... I would have loved a longer set, but I'll remember not to miss PT the next time they do a headlining tour.

IT was a great night overall, and one of the best concert experiences I've ever had..... my one gripe is that IT WAS f***ing HOT! Central Texas in August is in the 100s, and the venue was was an outdoor pavilion, even with the sun being set, the combination of humidity and being in the middle of a crowd makes it feel like a sauna. Even Steven Wilson mentioned that it was "A tad bit hot" (LOL)...... When PT was done and I was gonna chill in the back for Coheed I found a big industrial fan to stand in front of... but I did not let the heat ruin my good time..... Awesome show!

applaudit.gif thanks for writing that up. sounds like a good time.

Thanks all, it was a good time..

One other thing that was kind of Bullshit was the whole Black Card thing that the some of the Coheed fans had, I would have had a better spot if it weren't for that.