Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 14 2011, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 14 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 14 2011, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 13 2011, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 13 2011, 09:41 PM)
I just gave the second disc of the Incident a spin... much better than what I remembered... Hope that will be their next direction.

I think the whole album is under-rated though it is far from perfect. Wilson's lyrics and themes over the last two albums appear to be alienating many.

I would think that the lyrics wouldn't really affect that many people. I'd guess that most of their fans are musicians who put the music first. I don't really like FOABP's lyrics but that doesn't change my opinion of the album at all. Maybe its just me. confused13.gif

I really like the lyrics on FoaBP mainly because I love the book on which they are based.

I didn't know this. What book?

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, the author of American Psycho. It's a pretty interesting read

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 14 2011, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 14 2011, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 14 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 14 2011, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 13 2011, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 13 2011, 09:41 PM)
I just gave the second disc of the Incident a spin... much better than what I remembered... Hope that will be their next direction.

I think the whole album is under-rated though it is far from perfect. Wilson's lyrics and themes over the last two albums appear to be alienating many.

I would think that the lyrics wouldn't really affect that many people. I'd guess that most of their fans are musicians who put the music first. I don't really like FOABP's lyrics but that doesn't change my opinion of the album at all. Maybe its just me. confused13.gif

I really like the lyrics on FoaBP mainly because I love the book on which they are based.

I didn't know this. What book?

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, the author of American Psycho. It's a pretty interesting read

Brilliant book!

And I don't lyrics a lot of attention, I just don't listen to them... maybe it's because english isn't my native language. I do read them when I'm at home with the album playing on the stereo.

I loved Wilson's lyrics for the incident... The "after this, things will never be the same theme" is great. I prefer thematic concepts to the "story" ones... trink39.gif

I have been listening to Grace For Drowning for the past 2 weeks. It is an album that demands repeated listens to fully appreciate the soundscapes.

I do like it more than Insurgentes. That is for sure.

It seems to me like his Incident influence carried over into this solo effort.

I am a massive huge Porcupine Tree fan. They are without a doubt my second favorite band ever after Rush.

I really liked the Incident. I found it to be another brilliant record from a brilliant band. I would be extremely upset if PT is coming to the end of the road. They are by far at their best when all the parts = the sum of Porcupine Tree.

It's good they are exploring other sounds and playing with others. Let them get it out of their system. I think long term it can be very good for the band.

Anyway here are my top 5 PT records.

1) FOABP/Nil Recurring

2) In Absentia

3) Deadwing

4) Lightbulb Sun

5) The Incident

Edited by Todem

If PT tries to call it quits, I swear I will go all Misery on Steven Wilson!*

angry.gif

I think the solo stuff is okay, but nowhere near as good as full Porcupine Tree albums. Since discovering them a few years ago, they have become my second favorite band behind Rush too. They are just so, so good.

I think The Incident was brilliant. Love it!

My favorite albums:

1. Deadwing

2. Stupid Dream

3. The Incident

4. In Absentia

5. Lightbulb Sun

I understand Wilson is a creative guy who likes to do different things. I just hope he comes back around to PT at some point.

*Please note this is not an actual plan. wink.gif

Just getting into these guys. Listened to In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear of A Blank Planet on Spotify over the past few months. Decided I needed to step it up to vinyl (my preferred format). All their stuff is ridiculously expensive and hard to find but I decided to shell out the 40 bucks to get FoaBP off Ebay. GREAT decision. It kicks even more ass on vinyl! Amazing record. Thinking of going for In Absentia next... another pricey one but I feel like it will once again be worth it. 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Apr 3 2012, 07:55 PM)
Just getting into these guys. Listened to In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear of A Blank Planet on Spotify over the past few months. Decided I needed to step it up to vinyl (my preferred format). All their stuff is ridiculously expensive and hard to find but I decided to shell out the 40 bucks to get FoaBP off Ebay. GREAT decision. It kicks even more ass on vinyl! Amazing record. Thinking of going for In Absentia next... another pricey one but I feel like it will once again be worth it. 1022.gif

Wish I could discover pt for the first time... sad.gif

It opened up my entire world.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 3 2012, 08:08 PM)

What would you suggest listening to other than the three records I mentioned up above?

Porcupine Tree is my favorite band, along with Rush. Its cool to see that you liked them right away. My first album was Lightbulb Sun (one of my favorites now) and I wasn't too impressed. I listened to a few more albums and I've been a huge fan since. I'd love to be able to get the vinyl but like you said, they're extremely expensive. If you liked IA, FOAB, and DW then get Lightbulb Sun and/or Stupid Dream. They're both more mellow and song-orientated but still awesome. And, don't forget about Steven Wilson's doube solo album Grace For Drowning.

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Apr 3 2012, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 3 2012, 08:08 PM)

What would you suggest listening to other than the three records I mentioned up above?

If you like their metal stuff then go with the latest album, The Incident. It's a surreal 55 minute song cycle and then another 4 songs that are pretty good. Also get the Nil Recurring EP, it's solid gold. If you like their softer segments, go with Stupid Dream, that is full of beautiful music. I you like their ambient moments, probably Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 3 2012, 08:29 PM)

If you like their metal stuff then go with the latest album, The Incident. It's a surreal 55 minute song cycle and then another 4 songs that are pretty good. Also get the Nil Recurring EP, it's solid gold. If you like their softer segments, go with Stupid Dream, that is full of beautiful music. I you like their ambient moments, probably Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways.

The Nil Recurring EP actually comes on the Fear of a Blank Planet 2LP. It is awesome. I really like their metal stuff so I'll try out The Incident. Then I'll check out the other records you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Apr 3 2012, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 3 2012, 08:29 PM)

The Nil Recurring EP actually comes on the Fear of a Blank Planet 2LP. It is awesome. I really like their metal stuff so I'll try out The Incident. Then I'll check out the other records you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!

Maybe I am extremely crazy but to me PT, especially the Incident, sound like a modern Genesis, or what Genesis would be doing now. Both bands are wonderfully surreal.

The metal parts in PT are not too far-fetched from SOME stuff Genesis set out to do, like in Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, or The Musical Box. Anesthetize, the part before the heavy part (after Alex's solo) sounds like something Genesis would do. The sometimes poppy PT stuff sounds like somewhat poppy or quirky Genesis stuff, and then there's that wonderful climax in The Start of Something Beautiful, just like there would be in One for the Vine of The Cinema Show.

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Apr 3 2012, 06:16 PM)

All of them.

1022.gif

The Incident is great. I also like Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

Stupid Dream is almost always in my CD changer.

Also, if you get a chance, check out the Arriving Somewhere... DVD (Live in Chicago on the Deadwing Tour). It is full of awesomeness.

Enjoy!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 5 2012, 02:28 AM)
I like PT (still) so much more than Wilson's solo work.  It's *nice* and all...but it's not very exciting to me.  And people call Blackfield mellow??  biggrin.gif

Yep, agreed. But I only really like the later PT.

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Apr 3 2012, 09:16 PM)

I would also check out all of SW's ambient stuff from Bass Communion.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Apr 10 2012, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Apr 3 2012, 09:16 PM)

I would also check out all of SW's ambient stuff from Bass Communion.

If you're gonn try Bass Communion, consider trying Ghosts on Magnetic Tape, Cenotaph, or the first album. Even after Grace for Drowning, Steven Wilson considers GOMT to be the best album he's ever made.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 8 2012, 08:22 AM)

Yep, agreed.  But I only really like the later PT.

Opposite here, I like old PT more (up to 'Lightbulb Sun'). Anyway, 'In Absentia' and 'The Incident' are also KILLER.