Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2010, 03:21 AM)
What the???....

Are you saying you haven't heard The Incident until tonight?!? If that's correct, first off... WTF????? Second... you must have been blown the hell away.

Yeah Sue that's right haha.

For whatever reason I just never got around to buying it so I had only heard clips of certain songs.

But I did enjoy all of them, except 'Drawing the Line' was kind of weird...not sure I really dug that one.

I was ecstatic when they played The Sky Moves Sideways...& Lazarus, I adore Lazarus.

Dislocated Day was also a pleasant surprise--and in response to yr other post Sue, Gavin did tear it up.

His drums sounded so punchy, it was great.

Also, I couldn't believe when they started playing Anesthetize, but starting from that super heavy section around 6 or7 min. in.

The only minor disappointment for me is they played nothing from 'Signify'.

I was expecting to maybe hear The Sleep of No Dreaming, or Sever, or even Dark Matter since they were playing 'old shit'...but that's the only minor issue I had with it.

I also picked up a copy of The Incident and Recordings on the way out from the show, $10 and $13 respectively.

Pretty cheap for CDs these days.

Other than that, it was a fine setlist.

Definitely buying the live CD when it's released.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2010, 02:21 AM)
Are you saying you haven't heard The Incident until tonight?!? If that's correct, first off... WTF????? Second... you must have been blown the hell away.

That's what I was working with as well...Both guys I attended with were sparse with their PT knowledge...They might have known a 1/5 of the tuneage played last night.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 25 2010, 09:22 AM)
Small Fish
I Drive The Hearse
Bonnie The Cat
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing The Line
Dislocated Day
The Pills I'm Taking
Sleep Together

Lot of heavy, fast, super-busy, instrumentals interspered between the singing tracks...Everything I heard sounded familar to me, ALL except for only ONE track towards the very end. But, now that I look at these song names, some of them I just can't place which album they come from...Can some PT Scholar post where each of these songs derive?

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 25 2010, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2010, 02:21 AM)

That's what I was working with as well...Both guys I attended with were sparse with their PT knowledge...They might have known a 1/5 of the tuneage played last night.

Small Fish
I Drive The Hearse
Bonnie The Cat
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing The Line
Dislocated Day
The Pills I'm Taking
Sleep Together

Lot of heavy, fast, super-busy, instrumentals interspered between the singing tracks...Everything I heard sounded familar to me, ALL except for only ONE track towards the very end. But, now that I look at these song names, some of them I just can't place which album they come from...Can some PT Scholar post where each of these songs derive?

most are from the the incident TI

Small Fish- up the downstair

I Drive The Hearse- TI

Bonnie The Cat- TI

Great Expectations-TI

Kneel and Disconnect-TI

Drawing The Line-TI

Dislocated Day-sky moves sideways

The Pills I'm Taking- second half of anesthetize from FOABP

Sleep Together- FOABP

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 25 2010, 12:21 PM)
most are from the the incident TI

The Pills I'm Taking- second half of anesthetize from FOABP

Sleep Together- FOABP

I guess you're right...The titles haven't become a part of my (now limited) memory just yet...

I'll tell ya one thing...The video set up they had going on for - The Pills I'm Taking- second half of anesthetize from FOABP was AMAZING!

Pulled you right into the film.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 25 2010, 08:16 AM)
Hey, Locator, I'm sorry I missed you last night.

The sound system was just incredible...very full rich sound. Probably the best sound I've ever heard at a show. My bones were rattling from the bass.  1022.gif

Sorry I missed you guys too...You mentioned about the bass, and one of my friends actually thought it was overkill...But, the other one had attended the Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath) show with me there back in '07, and Geezer Butler's bass that night was like the beast in Cloverfield, just tearin' down Manhattan note by note...

OK folks. I lifted this post from ProgArchives. I thought it had some very nice tidbits:

Posted By: Keyspoet

The Radio City Music Hall gig was another great concert by Porcupine Tree.  John Wesley was absent through much of it, as he had not yet been with the band when the majority of the songs came out; Colin Edwin was on upright bass for the first few songs; Gavin Harrison was on fire, and Richard Barbieri made everything easier for all of the guys.  Steven Wilson played to his usual exacting standards and, as always, drove the show.

I wasn't as impressed with the venue, as both the Tampa Theatre and Ruth Eckerd hall have much better acoustics, and that's just in Tampa Bay!  Radio City has its history going for it, but overall, I think as a venue it is overrated, much as was Terminal 5 where they performed last year.  I probably won't be rushing to catch any more NYC performances any time soon.

The set list was great, though we were sorry they did not play "Radioactive Toy," and I was disappointed that they did not after all play "The Incident" in its entirety.  I guess three times in one tour will have to do me.  The set list was as follows:

First Set - Acoustic, John Wesley absent, Colin Edwin on upright bass.

Stranger by the Minute
Small Fish
Pure Narcotic
Black Dahlia
      Steven Wilson:  We asked ourselves, what would be the least appropriate song we could play?
Futile

Intermission

Second Set - Electric, John Wesley present during some, but not all songs, Colin Edwin on electric bass.

Even Less - long version
Open Car
Lazarus
Tinto Brass
(Beach Boys style relaxing instrumental - what the heck is the name???  I'll update the post once I've gotten some sleep and can recall the name.)
The Sky Moves Sideways - Phase I
    (Gavin really rocked the house on this one - big surprise!)
I Drive the Hearse
    Steven Wilson:  "We were going to play the whole album, but we wanted to play as much old sh*t as possible, and we figured you've heard "The Incident" anyway."
Bonnie the Cat

Second Intermission

Third Set, Electric, John Wesley mostly present, Colin Edwin on electric bass.

Occam's Razor
Blind House
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing the Line
Dislocated Day
    Steven Wilson:  "Are you sure you know these songs?"
                                  "You may notice that John Wesley keeps leaving the stage, but it is because we used to be a four piece band, not because he is incontinent."

Time Flies - long version
Second half of Anesthetize
Wire the Drum
Let's Sleep Together

Encore

Arriving Somewhere

All in all the concert was excellent, the band was well-received, and for the first time this tour, at least for the five concerts I attended, the venue was almost sold out.  About time!!!

Great show - too bad they didn't film it.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2010, 10:46 AM)
copied from the PT forum, the setlist was:

Setlist: 

(Acoustic Segment with Colin on Double Bass, Gavin on stripped down kit, and Steve on acoustic, and Wes and Richard on the usual)
Stranger By The Minute
Small Fish
Pure Narcotic
Black Dahlia
Futile 
-----Short Break------
Even Less (Full Version)
Open Car
Lazarus
Tinto Brass
Sky Moves Sideways
I Drive The Hearse
Bonnie The Cat
------10 Minute Break-------
Occam's Razor
The Blind House
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing The Line
Dislocated Day
Time Files
The Pills I'm Taking
Up The Downstair
Sleep Together
-----Encore Break-------
Arriving Somewhere...But Not Here

Holy crap. They played Dislocated Day.... I would have fainted. I bet Harrison tore that one up.

I want to hear what he did to the ending of that song with that far out drum beat I still can"t figure out.

Let me tell ya the most fun you can have at someone else's expense...preferably a close friend, but any smiley-faced acquaintance will do just fine...someone you don't mind embarassing the heck out of in front of a large group of people...This prack was done to me back in High School, at some local, dive movie theater, and I've been pulling the gag on others ever since.

Last night, during the three intermissions that PT delivered unto us, the fans, mostly the males in the crowd, 'cause that's the largest segment of the drinking crowd, they all head off to the bathrooms for a good leak while they got the chance.

So, what you do is wait for a big ol' line to form for the restrooms, all those stinky toilets straight up ahead as the final destination for all these tipsy men...Now, it's got to be a spontaneous thing...This is something that just sorta gotta happen because the opportunity presents itself...You can't be waiting around the john with this line in your mind, or it'll come out as sounding contrived...plus, folks will stare at you for hangin' around the john.

You spot a couple of your friends from another fan site up at the head of the line, just about ready to get their turn with the toilets...You wait until they spot you waving at them and you shout out, loud enough for everyone else on the line as well as in earshot to hear you...."Scottie, Jimbo! What are you guys doin'? Goin' to get somethin' to eat?"...

My delivery of this was right on the money last night...as everyone on line, as well as whoever else was in hearing distance all burst out in laughter...It was great fun...I got that guy back from High School good for doing it to me...Got him back in spades by now...Remember this gag for just such an occasion...From where I was standing, I could already see both of those white boy's faces turn completely RED as I walked away laughing.

Really hoping for a boot of the MSG show. There are few sites that even offer PT boots.

Here are a couple of pics I took at the show, and one of the shirt they were selling last night. Apologies for the lack of pics. I didn't bring a camera, and really couldn't get anything worth posting from my iphone...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/PorcupineTree-RadioCity9-24-2010-1.jpg

View from my seats...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/RMCHstage-2.jpg

Shirt...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/PTShirtRCMH-1-1.jpg

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 25 2010, 05:56 PM)
Does anyone know if I can get one of the Radio City shirts anywhere, size 2XL? They didn't have any more, and I was afraid if I bought a smaller size it would shrink. Thanks.

I would keep an eye out for it on the PT mechandise site. My bet would be that eventually they'll have it.

http://www.porcupinetreemerch.com/

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 25 2010, 05:21 PM)
Here are a couple of pics I took at the show, and one of the shirt they were selling last night. Apologies for the lack of pics. I didn't bring a camera, and really couldn't get anything worth posting from my iphone...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/PorcupineTree-RadioCity9-24-2010-1.jpg

View from my seats...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/RMCHstage-2.jpg

Shirt...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/PTShirtRCMH-1-1.jpg

Sweet pics Natch. yes.gif

And I wanted to buy that shirt but I waited until after the show was over & by then they didn't have any more...but I ended up buying The Incident and Recordings so that was also well worth the money.

Does anyone have a photo of that mad cool, Grey, 'Recordings' T-shirt they were selling at the venue?...That's the one I wanted...But, my buddies showed no interest in waiting for me as I tackled that mob of a malformed line...And, I really had no interest in waiting either...I do know that an 'impulse purchase' is what was called for there that evening...I told myself that I'd go home and order that very same shirt online...but that just ain't never happenin' now, is it.

I can't stop thinking about those short films that came towards the end of the show...definitely my favourite 'four song sequence' of the entire night came within that specific sub-set of tunes...The very next morning I had these lines in my head...because, man oh man was that segment a real trip...

"The time is 9:30 pm, one hour after the participants have eaten sugar cubes saturated with LSD...We hear Brian and his fellow travellers observing their gradual transformation.......Brian's been amusing his friends by chewing on some plastic flashbulbs."

Edited by thelocator

Great time on friday . Never saw them before and i will def be going back. My only problem was the opening of the show. Please don't open with an acoustic set, you are killin my buzz. Later in the show? Maybe , but lets face it, it has been done to death . More women than at Rush show also, on the floor anyway. I was right next to the soundboard, just killer . Great to see Natch and his son . Chris, i was at heartland for about an hour and a half, 2 beers and a cheeseburger = $30 laugh.gif Looked around for your hat, nothin. Next time bro. Natch and i were talking and some kid walks up to Natch and say's"can you please take my picture with John Myung . I told Natch after Myung left i should have asked him about Mike Portnoy laugh.gif . I saw Will from Living Color, very cool guy and believe it or not David Fricke from Rolling Stone , you can't miss him because of that really bad haircut . Great show and i will be back when they are

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2010, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 25 2010, 05:56 PM)
Does anyone know if I can get one of the Radio City shirts anywhere, size 2XL? They didn't have any more, and I was afraid if I bought a smaller size it would shrink. Thanks.

I would keep an eye out for it on the PT mechandise site. My bet would be that eventually they'll have it.

http://www.porcupinetreemerch.com/

Thanks, I'll keep checking.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 26 2010, 11:18 AM)
Natch and i were talking and some kid walks up to Natch and say's"can you please take my picture with John Myung . I told Natch after Myung left i should have asked him about Mike Portnoy laugh.gif .

John Myung was there? I saw a guy who looked like him talking to a bunch of people but I figuared it couldn't be him.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 26 2010, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 26 2010, 11:18 AM)
Natch and i were talking and some kid walks up to Natch and say's"can you please take my picture with John Myung . I told Natch after Myung left i should have asked him about Mike Portnoy laugh.gif  .

John Myung was there? I saw a guy who looked like him talking to a bunch of people but I figuared it couldn't be him.

supposedly Jordan Rudess was in attendance as well. i read that over at the mp forum.

Are you guy saying that Myung and Rudess were over at Hearland? Is this what your saying? How come Fricke didn't make his move for the primo info...I think I might have had some kinda journalistic folk sitting on either side of my table...They both were hush about it while talking about PT, but I overheard one guy say to the other that he had to get back to Petrucci...I told my buddies later about it.

No one has yet to mention the joke, well the story that Wilson told about signing the guestbook over at Radio City Music Hall...He said that he usually signs guestbooks in dingy little clubs where the last signees before him were bands like the Death Metalers 'Deicide'...but when he signed at RCMH, he saw the names before him were like Oprah Winfrey and Conan O'Brien...I thought that was funny...I think these were the examples he gave...Not really sure...I was lit up nice by then.

Speaking about being lit up nice...There was this 'four song sequence' that the band delivered that night that was THE MOST INTENSE song sequence I've ever been privy to at any show...And, I'm just trying to figure out precisely which four songs they could have been. I know that it had to happen towards the very end of the show...

CAN SOMEONE point out which four of these six tracks had the short films attached to them...The four song sequence I'm thinking about, I believe, was comprised of three of the tracks with accompanying films, and then one heavy, fast, super-busy instrumental that was played withOUT a film...Can anyone pinpoint which segment I'm thinking of...IT WAS SO INTENSE...and I'm not so good with song titles.

I definitely know which of the films where attached to 'Time Flies' and 'Part Two of Anesthetize - The Pills" Those were absolutely insane and intense pieces of audio/visual...But what song was attached to the film with the 'Mormon Women'? And, what song was attached to the film with the 'Robot Automaton' banging away at that strage Morse Code device-looking thing?

Kneel and Disconnect - TI

Drawing The Line - TI

Dislocated Day - SMS

Time Files - TI

The Pills I'm Taking - FOABP

Up The Downstair -UTDS

Edited by thelocator

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 26 2010, 03:02 PM)
song was attached to the film with the 'Mormon Women'? And, what song was attached to the film with the 'Robot Automaton' banging away at that strage Morse Code device-looking thing?

the one with the "mormon women" was The Blind House,

and the other one was Sleep Together

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 26 2010, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 26 2010, 03:02 PM)
song was attached to the film with the 'Mormon Women'?  And, what song was attached to the film with the 'Robot Automaton' banging away at that strage Morse Code device-looking thing?

the one with the "mormon women" was The Blind House,

and the other one was Sleep Together

Thanks, mate...That was so awesome...I want it back for 12 more minutes.