Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

This right here is a question of great pertinence at the moment...I'm listening to those six originals/six covers business from Steve Wilson's personal stock...Question A is, are we sure that the six 'originals' are truly that..and Question B is, if they truly are, then why do, to these ears of mine, they sound so much at odds with what's found there on 'Insurgentes'...Or, maybe I'm wrong about this assessment...Maybe it all sounds like they derive from the same sessions...Do they sound like they're all members of the same unpleasant family...not unpleasant a'tall...just familial...Your unpleasant Mammy.

Have you guys discussed Gavin Harrison's drum work on the latest O.S.I. album? I initially thought that he only played on a single track....but, looks like he plays drums throughout...Out of the three OSI titles, this newest one, 'Blood' is by far my favourite...The others were kinda boring after a while, not much differentiating all the seperate tracks...Anyone digin' Modern Prog, especially that of PT should know this band's newest offering, inside and out...Wilson provides vocals and writing on one song for the first release, and Akerfeldt is featured on one himself during the third release...An ultra-modern Prog outfit that should please most PT fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_(band)

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 3 2010, 11:20 AM)
From PTOfficial on twitter:

"Yes, probably going to do some kind of live audio album from Radio City/RAH - if we can play all of the old songs well enough!"

I would sell my mom on Ebay to be able to go to that RCMH show. sad.gif

(Not really.... Ebay won't participate in human trafficking. I've checked. They're no fun anymore.)

But, I'd sure like to see that one. Nice to hear that they're definitely putting out the audio.

I take this to mean that they'll be playing songs that they haven't already played on this tour?

I'm already psyched for this show. This just upped the ante.

Now that I got the Rush concert out of the way, I'm turning my attention to the RCMH show. I saw Rush at PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ on Friday night. What a great effin' show! PT is next for me. Can't wait!

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 6 2010, 12:10 AM)
Have you guys discussed Gavin Harrison's drum work on the latest O.S.I. album? I initially thought that he only played on a single track....but, looks like he plays drums throughout...Out of the three OSI titles, this newest one, 'Blood' is by far my favourite...The others were kinda boring after a while, not much differentiating all the seperate tracks...Anyone digin' Modern Prog, especially that of PT should know this band's newest offering, inside and out...Wilson provides vocals and writing on one song for the first release, and Akerfeldt is featured on one himself during the third release...An ultra-modern Prog outfit that should please most PT fans.

Gavin Harrison's drumwork throughout all of OSI's BLOOD...Are you guys familiar with it, or does the general PT knowledge stop with PT itself around these here parts?

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 7 2010, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 6 2010, 12:10 AM)
Have you guys discussed Gavin Harrison's drum work on the latest O.S.I. album?  I initially thought that he only played on a single track....but, looks like he plays drums throughout...Out of the three OSI titles, this newest one, 'Blood' is by far my favourite...The others were kinda boring after a while, not much differentiating all the seperate tracks...Anyone digin' Modern Prog, especially that of PT should know this band's newest offering, inside and out...Wilson provides vocals and writing on one song for the first release, and Akerfeldt is featured on one himself during the third release...An ultra-modern Prog outfit that should please most PT fans.

Gavin Harrison's drumwork throughout all of OSI's BLOOD...Are you guys familiar with it, or does the general PT knowledge stop with PT itself around these here parts?

laugh.gif Of course not!

I haven't listened to any OSI, but that should probably change, huh?

Burning Shed email:

Unfortunately, due to manufacturing difficulties, the shipping date of the Insurgentes Movie double DVD has been put back to October 25th.

Kscope apologise for the delay and for any inconvenience this may cause.

god.... my nerves. sad.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 8 2010, 05:25 AM)

Regarding the overall musical direction of "Storm Corrosion", Wilson wrote in a recent Twitter posting, "Don't expect any metal on this one."

I don't expect any Opeth or D.T fans buying this as well laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 8 2010, 10:53 AM)

Regarding the overall musical direction of "Storm Corrosion", Wilson wrote in a recent Twitter posting, "Don't expect any metal on this one."

Actually this news has my interest piqued in this project now. I really couldn't have given two shits before (even though I ADORE both Opeth and PT, I'm not a fan of SW's collaborative projects), but I've been slowly losing interest in most metal and drifting towards the moody/ambient side of things. Now if only DT would follow suit and lose the weird nu-metal kick they've been on since Train of Thought

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Sep 8 2010, 11:38 AM)

Actually this news has my interest piqued in this project now. I really couldn't have given two shits before (even though I ADORE both Opeth and PT, I'm not a fan of SW's collaborative projects), but I've been slowly losing interest in most metal and drifting towards the moody/ambient side of things. Now if only DT would follow suit and lose the weird nu-metal kick they've been on since Train of Thought

That is my fav album from D.T. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Sep 8 2010, 11:38 AM)

I don't think that the majority of those who embrace bands like Opeth and DT in the first place, would be shallow enough to dismiss the great potential of this pairing, regarless of whether or not they choose to make this a Metal meeting of the minds...Then again, perhaps I'm a lot more open-minded than the majority of fans.

I still don't see them missing the sweet opportunity to 'plug-in' and asking a monster bass player and drummer to occupy the room...But, I could be wrong and they literally could be going for as stripped down, unplugged Crosby/Nash sorta thing here...In which case, I would take the CD home and masturbate.

I believe that the overwhelming majority of WILSON's collaborative project have been stellar, excluding this last 'Ephrat' waste of tape space...And, I'm sure that myself and metaldad have no idea what you're speaking of when you say, "... weird nu-metal kick they've been on since Train of Thought" of Dream Theater's recent musical output...Dream Theater are presently THRICE the band they were prior to Train of Thought...

You really think 'Six Degrees' was something to get excited about?...And, I've never heard the 'Nu-Metal' moniker heaped upon these guys...That's a new one fer these ears and eyes. There's nothing Nu-Metal about that band...They do grow more 'progressive' and somewhat more 'experimental' though...My one peeve is that they don't experiment enough really...And, I would just wish that they'd lose ALL of those cock-rock tendencies they have left over from their 80's influence mental reel...I've always hated that one element about them. I would even totally embrace a radical 'one album' shift in direction for DT...something to break the monotony of the 'same ol' formula repeated ad infinitum.

From Steven:

A little more about the collaboration album between myself and Mikael - So far we have 25 minutes of music, it seems to us like nothing either us have done before. Mikael is taking care of all guitars
(since he's at least 100 times better than me), and I'm playing
keyboards, percussion and doing orchestrations, both of us singing.
It...'s pretty dark stuff, in a way heavy music with no
heavy metal elements.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 9 2010, 11:21 AM)
From Steven:

A little more about the collaboration album between myself and Mikael - So far we have 25 minutes of music, it seems to us like nothing either us have done before. Mikael is taking care of all guitars
heavy metal elements.

It sounds kind of like two kids in the basement, messin' around with music.

But, what does he mean he's doing "orchestrations?" Digitally produced orchestrations? Please don't tell me he plays the violin and/or cello now. I'll be forced to do one of these: facepalm.gif

laugh.gif

And, I also smell a drum machine from all the way over here.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 9 2010, 11:58 AM)
From Steven:

heavy metal elements.

But, what does he mean he's doing "orchestrations?" Digitally produced orchestrations? Please don't tell me he plays the violin and/or cello now. I'll be forced to do one of these: facepalm.gif

laugh.gif

Have you seen Steven's "studio"...? You're not far off. It's a bedroom in his parents' house..!!

http://emusician.com/interviews/Steven-Wilson-Fig.-1.jpg

http://emusician.com/interviews/Steven-WIlson-Fig.-5.jpg

http://www.no-man.co.uk/graphics/photos/noman/swnoman20085.jpg

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 9 2010, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 9 2010, 11:58 AM)
From Steven:

heavy metal elements.

laugh.gif

Have you seen Steven's "studio"...? You're not far off. It's a bedroom in his parents' house..!!

http://emusician.com/interviews/Steven-Wilson-Fig.-1.jpg

http://emusician.com/interviews/Steven-WIlson-Fig.-5.jpg

http://www.no-man.co.uk/graphics/photos/noman/swnoman20085.jpg

Holy God!!! He's an UBER geek. laugh.gif

.... which, incidentally, is also uber hot. wub.gif

.... but, only when it's him. So, don't get any ideas, all you other geeks.

.... just sayin'.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 9 2010, 12:21 PM)
From Steven:

heavy metal elements.

Add this

On a related note, the track I wrote for the originally planned Akerfeldt/Wilson collaboration all those years ago when it was going to be more metal
orientated, "Cut Ribbon", is scheduled to finally appear on the next SW solo album (shaping up to be a very diverse double CD). Steve Hackett just played some fantastic guitar on a track for that one too.3 hours ago

Steve Hackett!!!!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2010, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 9 2010, 12:21 PM)
From Steven:

heavy metal elements.

Add this

On a related note, the track I wrote for the originally planned Akerfeldt/Wilson collaboration all those years ago when it was going to be more metal
orientated, "Cut Ribbon", is scheduled to finally appear on the next SW solo album (shaping up to be a very diverse double CD). Steve Hackett just played some fantastic guitar on a track for that one too.3 hours ago

Steve Hackett!!!!

What do I want to come out first..... Solo or Collaboration? It's hard!