Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 6 2010, 08:14 PM)
I recently got into Porcupine Tree, and already I have four albums.
Deadwing, FOABP, WLTS, And Stupid Dream.

I'm aiming for Voyage 34, or whatever it's called next.

Voyage 34 is cool and all, but I'd get The Incident, Signify, Up the Downstair (2004 remastered version with Gavin Harrison's drums), or the Sky Moves Sideways wayyyyyy before diving into V34.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 09:23 AM)
Just got the 2009-10-09 London show on DVD. Missing Occam's Razor and part of Blind House but other than that it looks good. I'll share it somehow later this evening.

common001.gif

screenshots from london 2009-10-09 dvd:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4451/snapshotdvd011027201010.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/36/snapshotdvd004856201010.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7484/snapshotdvd002507201010.jpg

For whatever reason, the aspect ratios of the screen shots aren't right. They should be like widescreen photos. Don't worry, the dvd itself is presented in anamorphic widescreen. PM if you want additional details.

Edited by marblesmike

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 6 2010, 07:14 PM)

I'd hold off on Voyage 34. It's basically an hour long drone album, that aside from Phase I, doesn't really necessitate repeated listens. Unless you're on an acid trip. I love the album but you REALLY have to be in the mood for it.

You NEED In Absentia, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, or The Incident next

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 6 2010, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 6 2010, 07:14 PM)

I'd hold off on Voyage 34. It's basically an hour long drone album, that aside from Phase I, doesn't really necessitate repeated listens. Unless you're on an acid trip. I love the album but you REALLY have to be in the mood for it.

You NEED In Absentia, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, or The Incident next

Voyage 34 is not drone music. Steven's side-project Bass Communion is drone. Voyage 34 would best be described as psychedelic trip-hop/ambient. IMO, it's a great album that is a different flavor from the rest of their catalog. A very atmospheric record.

Okay, someone give me the lowdown on Up The Downstair. Is it good? Is it not so good? How does it compare to the rest of their catalog? Oh, and while I'm asking, give a thumbs up or thumbs down to Nil Recurring.

I'm looking to purchase both this week, so I'm very curious. I have FOABP, The Incident, In Absentia, Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, and Stupid Dream. I know NR is an EP, but it's only 3 bucks and I'm just curious if it's good or not.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Oct 7 2010, 12:09 PM)
Okay, someone give me the lowdown on Up The Downstair. Is it good? Is it not so good? How does it compare to the rest of their catalog? Oh, and while I'm asking, give a thumbs up or thumbs down to Nil Recurring.

I'm looking to purchase both this week, so I'm very curious. I have FOABP, The Incident, In Absentia, Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, and Stupid Dream. I know NR is an EP, but it's only 3 bucks and I'm just curious if it's good or not.

Get Nil Recurring. You will not be dissapointed. It's very, very good.

Someone else will have to give you the low-down on Up the Downstair.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 12:17 PM)

agreed NR is great and even better at $3.

I like a bunch of songs from up the downstair, in particular synesthensia. burning sky is killer too.

I strongly dislike Not beautiful anymore though.

If you like the sky move sideways I think you probably would like UTD.

edit- after some more thought, UTD may be easier to get into than TSMS?

Edited by tangy

I like but do not fully love any studio album prior to Signify. They all have their moments, though. I'd rather just listen to the live album Coma Divine to get a nice stroke of Signify and earlier material.

My favorite pre-Signify song is an instrumental called Cloud Zero. Really jazzy. Love it.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 7 2010, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 7 2010, 01:01 PM)
Huge PT fan here.  Saw them just a couple of weeks back at a little place called Radio City Music Hall...with a few friends  trink39.gif

trink39.gif must of been great!

Simply put...it was amazing!!! Many RUSH fans were also in attendance.

Second row, behind the pit. Had an exceptional view and the acoustics were out of this world.

I saw them 5 times on The Incident tour (including once with Coheed in St. Louis).

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 01:17 PM)

Ah I love UTD!!! I'll try to make this clear and to the point.

First off, the album was originally made in 1993 and was basically a SW solo album. That being said, it was recorded with drum machines. But, in 2004, SW went back with current PT drummer Gavin Harrison and added real drums to it, in addition to re-recording the acoustic guitars.

Personally, I love the 2004 version as GH is my favorite drummer, but people who heard the original with drum machines tend to like that one better,

As for songs, I love the entire album from start to finish, with the above mentioned Not Beautiful Anymore being my least favorite. Synesthesia, Always Never, UTD, and the Small Fish>Burning Sky>Fadeaway closing section are all classics.

UTD and Burning Sky are two great PT instrumentals, with UTD in the same vein as Idiot Prayer (awesome bass grooves building up to catchy guitar riffs/band vamps).

I know some fans don't rate UTD as one of PT's better albums, but it is one of my favorites and worth checking out.

If you have more questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Oct 7 2010, 01:09 PM)

$3 for Nil Recurring where?

And yes, get it. yes.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 7 2010, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 01:17 PM)

Ah I love UTD!!! I'll try to make this clear and to the point.

First off, the album was originally made in 1993 and was basically a SW solo album. That being said, it was recorded with drum machines. But, in 2004, SW went back with current PT drummer Gavin Harrison and added real drums to it, in addition to re-recording the acoustic guitars.

Personally, I love the 2004 version as GH is my favorite drummer, but people who heard the original with drum machines tend to like that one better,

As for songs, I love the entire album from start to finish, with the above mentioned Not Beautiful Anymore being my least favorite. Synesthesia, Always Never, UTD, and the Small Fish>Burning Sky>Fadeaway closing section are all classics.

UTD and Burning Sky are two great PT instrumentals, with UTD in the same vein as Idiot Prayer (awesome bass grooves building up to catchy guitar riffs/band vamps).

I know some fans don't rate UTD as one of PT's better albums, but it is one of my favorites and worth checking out.

If you have more questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask.

I've heard it but decided not to buy it. Even with the GH stuff it still sounded too primitive for me. That being said, I love Fadeaway , especially the version with John Wesley singing.

UTD is awesome! One of my favorites of theirs. I easily prefer the original drum machine version...it just sounds more powerful.

Always Never is PERFECT, and the rest of the main songs are strong as well. Not Beautiful Anymore kicks ass...ignore the haters!

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 8 2010, 08:35 AM)
UTD is awesome! One of my favorites of theirs. I easily prefer the original drum machine version...it just sounds more powerful.

Always Never is PERFECT, and the rest of the main songs are strong as well. Not Beautiful Anymore kicks ass...ignore the haters!

Not Beautiful Anymore is AWESOME on Coma Divine.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 8 2010, 08:35 AM)

well if you really like some songs and like all but one of the songs are you really a hater?

IMO the narration by the girl in that song is weak/stupid and I do not care for it. Not much a fan of the narration on Voyage 34 either......

I am glad this topic was brought up though as I was unaware that there were two versions of UTD.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 8 2010, 09:16 AM)
I like the way they use narration for the most part. I think it's really well done in Last Chance To Save Planet Earth...

I do like that narration.

Other than that and the two listed above, I can't think of anymore use of narration of the top of my head??