In the lap of the gods

Slime

Queen rules. They put on a better and, most importantly, more fun show than other bands I've seen (on DVD of course, but still).

I haven't heard a voice that could outdo Freddie's, even if he was a heavy smoker. He's got the best crowd control I've seen in any lead singer, and he always appeared to be having a GOOD time on stage.

Queen rules because they were able to do ANY type of song and do it well. Queen had great heavy songs (especially in the early days....check out Ogre Battle), amazing pop songs and very good ballad styled stuff.

I'll elaborate more on Queen at some later date. Mostly this thread is in response to people who want to bring me down because I like Queen more than I like Rush. To those people, I say piss off and go find something else you can't wrap your head around, like tying your shoelaces on the first try.

QUOTE (Slime @ Feb 28 2008, 12:16 AM)
I'll elaborate more on Queen at some later date. Mostly this thread is in response to people who want to bring me down because I like Queen more than I like Rush. To those people, I say piss off and go find something else you can't wrap your head around, like tying your shoelaces on the first try.

eyesre4.gif

I adore Queen. From the age of 13 they've been one of my favourites. They were vilified for too long by critics who really hadn't a clue, too caught up with looking for the next big thing(as long as the next big thing didn't get too big....).

I've always thought the run of albums from Queen to News of The World is an excellent body of work, bar the odd duffer, Jesus & Sleeping on the Sidewalk being two.

I'm one of the minority that loves Hot Space. No other rock band would have had the cojones to release a funk album!

That's what Queen had, balls.

And a wicked sense of humour.

4 of the most talented musicians I've ever heard.

They single-handedly guided me through my atrocious teenage years and for that I'll always be grateful.

We watched the Freddie Mercury documentary on TV last night (Sky+ recorded), and it opened my eyes a bit. I never realised that he only told the world he had AIDS the day before he died.

I like some songs, but I was never overly keen on them. Don't dislike them tho'

Got an astronomy book co-written by Brian May biggrin.gif

I love Queen ! Freddie is the greatest rock vocalist of alltime. My 7 year old daughter is actually obsessed with there music at this time. Queen had a few clunkers over the years bit at least they always went where they wanted to go. They did however finish with a very strong album as you can see for yourself in this video...

I like Queen. Sheer Heart Attack is my Queen album of choice. It's their true masterpiece, IMO. My problem with Queen is their songs always seem to lack some depth. Their music is very ornate on the surface, there's doesn't seem to be much else there. The music is like those chocolate Easter bunnies. It looks great and tastes great but when you bite into it it's hollow. But you keep going back for more! Go figure! laugh.gif

Queen were awesome. Brain May is a very underrated guitarist and the same goes for the solid and melodic bass playing of John Deacon. I talk about songs rather than albums when it comes to Queen, because I like the harder gems (usually written by Brian) and the deep cuts like: Stone Cold Crazy, Tie Your Mother Down, It's Late, Dragon Attack, Now I'm Here, Hammer to Fall, etc. Crap like "Radio Gaga" and "Body Language" just don't do it for me.

They definitely had their own thing, with an R&B rhythm section, a hard-rocking guitarist, and the pageantry and stage presence of Freddie. Even my in-laws, who are nearing 70 but are really cool, are big fans of Queen.

Queen were my favourite band in my early and mid teens, I still love them of course. Freddie was a hell of a showman! And My first rock crush too. tongue.gif

My sister could probably write 10 paragraphs on Queen! laugh.gif She loves them more than anything. They've been her fave band since she has been listening to music. Brian May is her hero. biggrin.gif She is also a collector of all things Queen! biggrin.gif

Queen fanatics seem to LOVE Queen II! I never "got it" myself.

Here are my top five albums:

1. Sheer Heart Attack

2. The Game

3. Night at the Opera

4. Jazz

5. Hot Space... unsure.gif ...oops...I mean Queen

I never really got A Day at the Races either, but "Tie Your Mother Down" has a monster riff.

In the U.S. Queen fell off the radar after The Game. I really can't hold an opinion on anything post The Game.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 29 2008, 07:11 PM)
Queen fanatics seem to LOVE Queen II! I never "got it" myself.

Here are my top five albums:

1. Sheer Heart Attack
2. The Game
3. Night at the Opera
4. Jazz
5. Hot Space... unsure.gif ...oops...I mean Queen

I never really got A Day at the Races either, but "Tie Your Mother Down" has a monster riff.

In the U.S. Queen fell off the radar after The Game. I really can't hold an opinion on anything post The Game.

I agree with all of this, except that Queen II is easily their best album.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 1 2008, 01:08 AM)
I may have to give Queen II another spin...

Queen/Brian May fanatic Nuno Bettencourt, who played guitar and wrote the songs for Extreme, swears by Queen II.

queen was one of the best show's i have ever seen trink39.gif , nice thread

Archived