neils attitude to touring

tel

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 17 2008, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 04:17 PM)
It's certainly no secret he is miserable and grumpy. Us fans pay his wages, it's not fair to treat us like garbage, and hide his face, run to the BMW, and whatnot. Lots of famous musicians who have had contact with him can vouch for that also.

When I pay for a ticket to a Rush concert, I expect nothing more than 3 hours of wonderfully executed music. I really don't care how fast Neil sprints to his BMW after the show.

I don't either, but it is funny. And somewhat pathologic.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just the way he is, and we need to respect that. If it works for the other two that he doesn't join in on the meet & greets and do the PR, then I think we should shut up.. it's their band and they can divide the labor up as they see fit.

I think sitting at that drum kit, which is quite possibly bigger than my house, and putting on the show that he does night after night is work enough. You'll never say that he phoned in a performance. He's on the stage at 100%.

He's just a private person and if that works for them... it's good enough for me, I'm just happy to see them still making music as a band. So many bands in their age group have gone by the wayside or are shells of their former selves. They leave their fans disappointed with poor or lackluster shows, these guys don't do that.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 19 2008, 05:38 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 19 2008, 04:34 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 19 2008, 09:01 AM)
He tours and he's been in the band for 34 years, other bands change drummers like Fridge changes underpants, yes I know that's a decent length of time for a drummer in a band but it's not 34 years is it? Just because he grumbles about touring and it gets reported, doesn't mean he's got a bad attitude, as long as he makes albums and tours what more do we want?

You're just jealous yes.gif

Ducks don't get to wear underpants no.gif

ohmy.gif wacko.gif angry.gif laugh.gif

he's right. although Donald wears a spiffy little jacket he is always in full frontal/backal nudity in the southern area.

I have privacy issues. I don't hate people, I just get nervous when I feel invaded.

Some people are just like that, but who cares?

If I was liked for what I did, rather than who I am, I'd be a bit jaded too. End of story.

Not everyone likes being in the spotlight. I'm sure deep-down Neil loves what he does, but everyone has their complaints. I have days when I hate school, but I really love academia, because it's a positive thing for me.

I'm sure that's his case.

Not to mention he's the only member of the band that has released extremely personal books, with massive insight into his life, sense of humor, and general disposition.

Reading these, I think I would get along with Neil Ellwood Peart, regardless of whether he was Rush's drummer or not. And if I saw him, I'd pretend I don't know him.

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Feb 19 2008, 09:33 PM)

Not to mention he's the only member of the band that has released extremely personal books

this is the irony. we have more of an insight into what makes him tick than Al or Ged but we blast him because he won't pretend to be happy to shake our hand and say hello. it's back asswards.

It's certainly no secret he is miserable and grumpy. Us fans pay his wages, it's not fair to treat us like garbage, and hide his face, run to the BMW, and whatnot. Lots of famous musicians who have had contact with him can vouch for that also.

"Us fans" pay for a live show or a CD, not for anything else. How are you being "treated like garbage" in this relationship? Neil did a pretty good job of explaining his stance on touring in this interview, doesn't really strike me that he is as negative as some of you spin it.

Neil appears to be working pretty hard up there, and his craft, no his personality is what we pay to see.

QUOTE (MCM @ Feb 19 2008, 08:12 PM)
It's just the way he is, and we need to respect that. If it works for the other two that he doesn't join in on the meet & greets and do the PR, then I think we should shut up.. it's their band and they can divide the labor up as they see fit.

I think sitting at that drum kit, which is quite possibly bigger than my house, and putting on the show that he does night after night is work enough. You'll never say that he phoned in a performance. He's on the stage at 100%.

He's just a private person and if that works for them... it's good enough for me, I'm just happy to see them still making music as a band. So many bands in their age group have gone by the wayside or are shells of their former selves. They leave their fans disappointed with poor or lackluster shows, these guys don't do that.

Well said... trink38.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 19 2008, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Feb 19 2008, 09:33 PM)

Not to mention he's the only member of the band that has released extremely personal books

this is the irony. we have more of an insight into what makes him tick than Al or Ged but we blast him because he won't pretend to be happy to shake our hand and say hello. it's back asswards.

goodpost.gif Hadn't thought of that before...very good insight.

Kinda makes this whole thread moot.

Maybe time to open a thread about how Geddy and Alex don't open up about their lives...

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 17 2008, 04:37 PM)
Personally I couldn't give a toss what the hell he thinks about touring, the fans or pretty much anything else for that matter.

just keep touring....... 1022.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Feb 19 2008, 11:06 AM)

When I pay for a ticket to a Rush concert, I expect nothing more than 3 hours of wonderfully executed music. I really don't care how fast Neil sprints to his BMW after the show.

Dirk Benedict probably does the samething after a convention. wink.gif

QUOTE (Battlestarfilmmaker @ May 1 2008, 03:01 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Feb 19 2008, 11:06 AM)

Dirk Benedict probably does the samething after a convention. wink.gif

I met Dirk at a convention in Birmingham, he was a top guy.

biggrin.gif

Taking Neil's feelings toward touring into account...his performance on tour is downright heroic and totally inspiring.

He owes us nothing more than the incredible performance and effort he puts forth on stage each concert...and this fan is extremely grateful.

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 06:07 PM)

He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band. It's always Geddy and Alex. Would it really hurt the guy to come out and speak for 5 or 10 mins to the press or fans? They funny thing is that if he claims to have needed the money, yet can't do the little things to make the fans happy. He'll glad take our money though, because he needs it remember. Sure the guy is an amazing drummer, yes but that has nothing to do with his attitude/personality. He sould leave the BMW at home, this is a tour for the fans, not recreational fun.

I think that he doesn't do the press conferences because well...he just doesn't want to. Fair enough...

As for leaving the BMW at home because you feel that the tour is not recreational...I guess I should leave the Kawi at home because my job isn't recreational either? I didn't know that Neil had to abandon all pleasures--no matter how small--when he tours.

For him, the tour = his salary...to us = entertainment. How Neil gets to the concert or how he leaves it is totally irrelevant.

I wrote a response about this in a bass guitar forum recently and the topic was about meeting musicians and how sometimes they are not what you thought they would be...

I am a shy person until I get to know someone. As I get older I have become less shy, but still that by nature. I have played bass in bands for 21 years now. In addition, I was heavily into sports and art (now my profession) all growing up. Through obsessive hard work, I was able to get to a proficient level at all 3. Ive had my fair share of butt-kissing tossed my way because of it and I can tell you, it gets old after a while. And, I dont know what it is, but I am not good at receiving compliments. Its nice, but usually puts me at a loss for words.

I am sure people have viewed me as aloof or grumpy after talking to me when I am really on the shy and private side. Cant tell you how many people have come up to me after playing a set of music and kissed my butt...now magnify that by 100000 and I couldnt imagine how Neil feels.

Just because you are famous doesnt mean you arent human (nor does it mean that you need to be a completely different person than you normally are)

Imagine leaving to go to work and not getting back to your wife, home and your own bed for months on end......don't fancy that much, do you??

I do that often enough but I'm in the military not a rock band. When I deploy I try to make the best of the time but how people go about that varies. I'm sure it is the same for a musician they deal with touring differently. I went through most of this thread and saw no proof he hates touring or fans. All he owes me while being in the band is great lyrics and performances to the best of his ability. I've seen RUSH sixteen times since the early eighties; it wasn't until finding this thread that I found out Neil hates me. Should he do the PR stuff like Geddy and Alex? Yes. If Geddy and Alex are all right with him not doing it then I should be fine with it as well.

I'm going back to my imaginary world where Neil likes touring and wants to ride cross country with me in my new 2009 Dodge Challenger.

QUOTE (Battlestarfilmmaker @ May 2 2008, 02:00 PM)
I'm going back to my imaginary world where Neil likes touring and wants to ride cross country with me in my new 2009 Dodge Challenger.

Ok, the "Neil wanting to ride cross-country with you" is obviously imaginary... but just curious, do you really own a new Challenger?

Did you see this one that went for $220,000+ on eBay?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/24/dodge-c...28k-at-auction/

Dodge is now saying they will offer a 6-speed manual (same as in the Viper) for the 2009 Challenger. Sweeeeeeeeet!

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

If you ever lost your whole family you might me a little pissed 2. I thank God everyday for waking up in the a.m. Can't even wonder what it would be like to lose any one of my kids. I respect so much anyone that has gone through so much turmoil and gives 100 percent. I could, frankly never get out of bed again.

QUOTE (abc @ May 2 2008, 05:43 PM)
If you ever lost your whole family you might me a little pissed 2. I thank God everyday for waking up in the a.m. Can't even wonder what it would be like to lose any one of my kids. I respect so much anyone that has gone through so much turmoil and gives 100 percent. I could, frankly never get out of bed again.

yes.gif

You know, I was thinking about all this the other day, and I totally undertand how it can get weary for Mr. Peart.

I got what I considered my "dream job" early this year. I was euphoric! The first two months that euphoric feeling stayed strong, but now, I am already starting to get weary of it sometimes. Sometimes I just would rather stay home and enjoy life there with my family. That is so much more important to me, nothing can ever really be more important than that, no matter how exciting, glorious, or glamorous something else might seem.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (King Rygar @ May 3 2008, 01:11 PM)
You know, I was thinking about all this the other day, and I totally undertand how it can get weary for Mr. Peart.

I got what I considered my "dream job" early this year. I was euphoric! The first two months that euphoric feeling stayed strong, but now, I am already starting to get weary of it sometimes. Sometimes I just would rather stay home and enjoy life there with my family. That is so much more important to me, nothing can ever really be more important than that, no matter how exciting, glorious, or glamorous something else might seem.

wacko.gif

That's why it's called 'work', as opposed to 'fun for pay'. I love my job, and my employers/coworkers are good people, but would I prefer to sleep late every morning and have free choice over what I want to do with my day? You bet!

Given a choice between...

A) a drummer who's sometimes to drunk to play

cool.gif a drummer who's always trying to bang the fans' girlfriends

C) a drummer who a consummate professional & great lyricist, but who skips meet & greets and runs to his bus

...I'd pick "C".