Who's the worst singer you've ever heard?

Del_Duio

QUOTE (SlackABob @ Jan 10 2008, 03:46 PM)
tick when he has a nasty hangover! laugh.gif

angry.gif Now that aint right !

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 10 2008, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 10 2008, 08:51 PM)
I don't think she can sing on key at all

Really? I'm sure she can sing in the same key.

Oh, yeah, there's an element of computer enhancements there. But, on the other end of the scale, Cedric Bixler-Zavala used computer enhanced vocals on Amputechture. Heck, if Zeppelin had that kind of technology when recording later albums, they would have used it to enhance Roberts vocals, as they did with available technology in the 70's.

So I really can't see why enhancing vocals with other things is such a big deal to the Rock followers, when one of its leading lights did.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

QUOTE (J0N @ Jan 11 2008, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 10 2008, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 10 2008, 08:51 PM)
I don't think she can sing on key at all

Really? I'm sure she can sing in the same key.

Oh, yeah, there's an element of computer enhancements there. But, on the other end of the scale, Cedric Bixler-Zavala used computer enhanced vocals on Amputechture. Heck, if Zeppelin had that kind of technology when recording later albums, they would have used it to enhance Roberts vocals, as they did with available technology in the 70's.

So I really can't see why enhancing vocals with other things is such a big deal to the Rock followers, when one of its leading lights did.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

I'm not that bad.

Credit where credit is due. That's all i'm saying.

Although, I don't agree with all the press intrusions.

I love Tom Waits.

I don't think you can count him as a "singer". Doesn't his Voice fit his music?

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Jan 9 2008, 02:29 AM)
I absolutely hate Kurt Cobain. I don't see why everyone thinks he's so great, he was a mediocre lyricist and an awful, awful singer. I also hate Janis Joplin, she has that same annoying back of the throat sound as Kurt Cobain, I hate it.

I always thought Cobain was an excellent lyricist, just my opinion.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jan 11 2008, 04:46 PM)
I love Tom Waits.
I don't think you can count him as a "singer". Doesn't his Voice fit his music?

Yeah, I have some friends that are big into Waits, and you're right, "singer" might not exactly apply. I personally don't dig his stuff all that much, but I was really just talking about the "need a throat lozenge" aspect of his voice.

Meanwhile, I thought of another person to add to this list overall:

Carl Lewis (a la Star Spangled Banner performance.)

I think the worst singer should be judged using a certain criteria, such as: is the singer in question achieving what he or she set out to achieve during the song or totally missing the mark and therefore is revealed to be less than competent in the performing in whatever genre style it happens to be.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2008, 11:02 PM)
I think the worst singer should be judged using a certain criteria, such as: is the singer in question achieving what he or she set out to achieve during the song or totally missing the mark and therefore is revealed to be less than competent in the performing in whatever genre style it happens to be.

yes.gif I agree.

Certain singers like Lemmy for example suit the bands they sing for.

Personally speaking I can't stand Celine Dion's whining, wailing voice and she's classed as as a great artist confused13.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 9 2008, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 9 2008, 09:07 PM)
Britney Spears?

Sorry, had to bring it up  laugh.gif

Technically, she's not actually a bad singer. Very good infact.

Really? I don't think I've ever actually heard her singing voice. It's usually processed to the point of losing all human qualities on her records. But I'll take your word for it.

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 11 2008, 03:10 PM)
Personally speaking I can't stand Celine Dion's whining, wailing voice and she's classed as as a great artist confused13.gif

I don't think anybody actually likes Celine Dion. She's in this weird category of artists who sell a ton of records/are a huge concert attraction, but nobody seems to like them. Who are Celien Dion's fans? I've never met one.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 11 2008, 11:53 PM)

Who are Celien Dion's fans? I've never met one.

Me neither laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 11 2008, 06:48 PM)
Britney Spears?

Really? I don't think I've ever actually heard her singing voice. It's usually processed to the point of losing all human qualities on her records. But I'll take your word for it.

It's pretty painful:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rc4aRoRaqY

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 11 2008, 06:57 PM)

Me neither laugh.gif

Same people who buy those Kenny G and Yanni albums. Who listens to that stuff?

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 11 2008, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 11 2008, 06:48 PM)
Britney Spears?

It's pretty painful:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rc4aRoRaqY

She is certainly no Christina Aguilera.

Yeah, out of that whole generation of pop tarts, Christina has the talent. I'm not really a fan (I like a few songs of hers), but she's definitely top of the field at what she does.

Britney basically had looks (which she doesn't anymore), smart marketing (which has been replaced by a completely shattered personal life that has been beaten to death by the tabloids), and the ability to choose writers and producers, which I guess she still has. I've heard a few songs off her new album and it's just as catchy as anything she's ever done. Of course, none of this is her. She's got writers and producers and marketing teams plotting her every move, and her singing voice is barely human-sounding because of all the stuff they have to do to it to make it sound in tune.

I won't hate on her too much, though. She's going through a rough time in her life right now. It really must be bad when a judge decides that Kevin Federline is a better parent for your kids than you are. But she's an entertaining pop-culture figure. The world would be a lot less interesting without her.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 11 2008, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 11 2008, 06:57 PM)

Me neither laugh.gif

Same people who buy those Kenny G and Yanni albums. Who listens to that stuff?

I can't stand her "stage presence." Lots of flexing, straining and leg spreading. It looks very un-lady like. I did see her sing live once. My company carried her perfume and it wa sone of the biggest launches in history. When we had our convention in Vegas she came out, talked to us, and sang you know what against a backing track. She can sing but her music and everything else about her is unappealing.

The worst singer ever?

Geddy Lee of course.

Kidding.

I can't stand the norm of humans who rip his vocals.

Tired of defending Geddy all the time.

Funny how I just wrote this same thread without reading this one on the Y&T Forum.

Dave Meniketti had a GREAT VOICE and he can still play the guitar.

Anyway, I hate MICHAEL STIPE and DAVE MATTHEWS.

That idiot from Air Supply. REO SPEEDFAGON.

Michael McDonald. He RUINED THE DOOBIE BROTHERS!

Christopher Cross

Cyndi Lauper

Gwen STUFFPHONEY

JESSICA RABBIT SIMPSON

Endless.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2008, 11:02 PM)

Personally, I'd say that still verges on 'Favourite' territory. But not quite.

Using that method, to me anyway, that's like saying 50 Cent is a better singer than an Opera singer who isn't as good as the best opera singers, because he does exactly the right thing in his genre, whereas the opera singer doesn't, even though he is a better singer.

I would judge a good singer on the criteria of; The ability of the vocal range, the projection i.e. dynamic ranges and the ability to sing loud and soft, the flexibility of the voice which would be the ability to sing in different styles competently. So, i'd judge 'The Worst Singer' as the opposite to those above.

I still think this thread would be better if it said Least Favourite.