Faithless

DallasRUSHian

I think Faithless is one of the best songs on S&A, and wonder if it was left out of the setlist as to not offend anyone. What do you think?

Also, Al's solo on this song is one of my favorite in many albums... Very moving!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to think about. Only they know for certain. One could argue that "Freewill" has as many lines that some could find offensive in their own mind but that has never stopped it from being a hit and an obligatory show song. Many of their concert staples over the years are songs that touch on a similar theme.

I do think "Faithless" could come across pretty strong to the casual concert goer who hasn't really heard the song nor understands it. But, they did play Bangkok (with graphics), so they're not too worried about whiners in the audience.

I love the song also (and it's my wife's favorite from S&A) but I wonder how well, from a technical standpoint, it would translate live.

I was disappointed that it was not on the set for this leg, who knows if they change the setlist next leg.. It is a fantastic track, I would have drop Spindrift for Faithless.. Bravest Face also should have a night out or four...

QUOTE (daneel2112 @ Oct 31 2007, 06:30 PM)
I was disappointed that it was not on the set for this leg, who knows if they change the setlist next leg.. It is a fantastic track, I would have drop Spindrift for Faithless.. Bravest Face also should have a night out or four...

Couldn'd agree more: bravest face & faithless are totally breathtaking, and I would love to hear those live!

I was positive bravest face would be on the 1st leg, because it should sound amazing live!

Didn't know the set list going into "my" concert in Mannheim Germany. When Alex went into "Hope", I just knew Faithless was coming next!!! I was bustin at the seams!!! The transition from Hope to Faithless on S&A is awesome. This was my only let down the whole concert, I think faithless rocks and would have loved to hear it live. You are right on the money!!! I did finally get to hear Between the wheels "live", I almost creamed my shorts!! Was it me or did Geddy's voice sound better than EVER this tour!!!?? They were so tight and sounded more flawless than ever! (if thats possible) I left the concert totally spent, as a fan I too was in rare form. wacko.gif

wink.gif Yup! "Faithless" and "Good News First" were two songs that I was really looking forward to ...and I thought they would play. (Didnt read the spoiler setlists so as to remain "surprised")

Particularly "Good News First" would make a great show opener, with the swirly-phaser effect thingy at the start (Melotron with phaser fx perhaps?) They could really take that effect to town, ie amazing lights to go with it and then BAM! The boys launch into the rest of the song..

Alas, 't'was but a dream.....

And the meak shall inhibit their girth....

Faithless is my favorite on S&A so I was disappointed they did not play it. I don't think the band is concerned with what song will or won't upset

their the upset the general public. I think this is part of the reason they are so respected becasuse they don't sell themselves out to whatever is popular. Faithless is a great tune and if they do switch up the set list during the 2nd leg I hope I get to hear it.

I don't think it's a matter of offending anyone, I think it just boiled down to what songs they were going to "advertise" on tour for the album. Besides, anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it's just Neil's opinion/outlook and that he's not trying to say "it's my way or the highway".

As for me, Faithless spoke to me quite a bit because of personal circumstances that were going on in my life at the time of it's release. Yeah, I have faith in the Good Lord above, but if things hadn't turned out the way they did, I was ready to turn my back on religion completely.

I thoroughly respect all of Neil's lyrics and enjoy them immensely, because they give me something to think about. I may not fully agree with him politically and philosophically, but I've loved the music ever since 1974.

I think it's a pretty dull, uninspired effort. The lyrics are good on paper, but they sound shoehorned into the song, so I for one am glad that they didn't play it.

Personally, I reckon S&A would have been improved if they had left out Faithless, Good News first,Bravest Face,We Hold On and The Larger Bowl.

It would have been a good, tight album then without all the filler, though I suppose thats what skip buttons are for.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 1 2007, 04:02 PM)
I think it's a pretty dull, uninspired effort. The lyrics are good on paper, but they sound shoehorned into the song, so I for one am glad that they didn't play it.

Personally, I reckon S&A would have been improved if they had left out Faithless, Good News first,Bravest Face,We Hold On and The Larger Bowl.

It would have been a good, tight album then without all the filler, though I suppose thats what skip buttons are for.

I completely agree with you about Faithless it's hard for me to understand how some fans enjoy that one so much... I share your feeling about the other songs also - except "We Hold On" which has really grown on me a lot.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Nov 1 2007, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 1 2007, 04:02 PM)

I completely agree with you about Faithless it's hard for me to understand how some fans enjoy that one so much... I share your feeling about the other songs also - except "We Hold On" which has really grown on me a lot.

Ah - a perfect example of how what is awful to some is great to others. If these songs actually were omitted from the CD, you never would have had the opportunity to let We Hold On grow on you. trink39.gif

Now... I'm going to listen to Color of Right. The only reason I like it is because Fridge thinks it's shite. laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 1 2007, 09:09 PM)
Now... I'm going to listen to Color of Right. The only reason I like it is because Fridge thinks it's shite. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Glad to be of service

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Oct 31 2007, 05:02 PM)
I think Faithless is one of the best songs on S&A, and wonder if it was left out of the setlist as to not offend anyone. What do you think?

Also, Al's solo on this song is one of my favorite in many albums... Very moving!

I dont think that was a concern, i just think it was a song that would not have translated well live.

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Oct 31 2007, 04:02 PM)
I think Faithless is one of the best songs on S&A, and wonder if it was left out of the setlist as to not offend anyone.  What do you think? 

What is offensive about it?

Please don't tell me you think it may be offensive to people who hold religious beliefs.

Having said that, as a Priest of Syrinx I was pretty offended by the grief they gave me when I took their guitars away from them.

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Oct 31 2007, 04:02 PM)

If they were afraid it would offend anyone, then why record it in the first place??

I would love to hear it live as well, but the fact that 2.gif still plays a 3 hour show is good enough for me. If they played what everyone wanted to hear it would be a 12 hour show, minimum.

I think that when you talk about religion theres a thin line between beeing offensive and talking seriouly about it. And, surprisingly, for most of the people it is easier to deal with an offensive talk than with a serious talk, because when it's just offensive you can easyly make a joke of it, but when people talk seriously...hmm... that's another type of chat.

In other words, for ordinary listeners, maybe it's easier to accept "satanic" songs like Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath (because in the end you know they're not that serious on what they're talking about) than accepting some respected gentlemen singing that they have their own moral compass to steer by.

Anyway, I think they didn't played it live because they didn't want to use some kind of sampler to replace Ben Mink's line on the violin. Who knows... Anyway, I love the song and I particularly never care about a little sampling!

Archived