Slime

With 1 as worst and 10 as best, rate S&A lyrics  

83 members have voted

1. 1. With 1 as worst and 10 as best, rate S&A lyrics

• 11 - Neil's best lyrics EVER
    • 10 - These are simply amazing and top notch
    • 1 - Worst lyrics ever!

I'll give it a four.

Sub-par with moments of glory. --- Neil's lost his touch for 'deep ambiguity' in this album, ambiguity was something I REALLY appreciated from his lyrics in the past.

Quietly resist.

The content is deeper than their most recent albums, but the quality is just okay to me. Neil used to be the master of metaphors and he doesnt do it often on this album, and when he does it's just not as strong as some of his previous work. The lyrics are much more direct which really turns me off. It was possible with old rush songs that even if you couldnt relate to the true meaning, you were still able to twist it into something you could relate to. I just cant do that when he is saying I dont have faith in faith. I cant mold that into something that I agree with.

I voted 6.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 1 2007, 09:19 PM)
Takes balls, and he says it very intelligently. One of the best lyrically for me. These lyrics have big balls.

I don't much care for 'balls'. If I did, I wouldn't like Geddy Lee's singing... (J/K, J/K...)

Anyways, there is a need for ambiguity. That's part of the art; anyone can say, "this is how I feel", but few can make it artisticly abstract, like Neil has in the past.

I gave it a 6. When you read some of the lyrics, you an get a little bummed out. They are strong in the sense that they are creative and smart, but they are a tad depressing. But then I key in on Lerxst fat guitar playing, and I'm happy again!

1022.gif

I said 6. As much as I like the album, Rush is always for me 90% about the music and 10% about the lyrics and the singing (combined). I'm generally not that much into vocals anyway.

I greatly appreciate how Neil has matured over the years. Some of his early lyrics make me cringe, almost as much as remembering just how much Ayn Rand I actually read back in high school and college. (Yes, I even read her non-fiction. Blecch.) I was a bit disappointed to learn recently that he's been influenced by Richard Dawkins in his latest writing. Not Ayn Rand, but in some respects, not much better an influence. (Granted, I only know his work second-hand. But it seems to fall into the "taking atheism on just as much faith as the religious faithful he's railing against" camp. But I digress.)

The main problem I have with the lyrics on this album is not their content; I actually agree with Neil's worldview more and more with each successive album. But some of these lyrics are just plain awkward rhythmically, which detracts from the music. Others are a bit ham-fisted (again, a somewhat frequent problem with Rush lyrics). I tend to prefer lyrics that are more oblique, abstract, or open to interpretation. Neil's a good writer, but he's often just too damned literal in his song lyrics. (I also think that his prolific prose writing lately has not necessarily helped his lyric writing.)

On further consideration, I'd probably change my vote to a 7, or at least a 6 1/2. The conceptual threads between the songs make the whole of the album greater than the sum of its parts.

Tough times demand tough talk

demand tough hearts demand tough songs

I give it a ten. Typically there is at least one song where I am not all that crazy about the lyrics. On this disc its Bravest Face.

4 . . . just turn on the evening news if you want to know how bad the world can suck.

I don't need a guy who told us he didn't want to face the killer instinct, nor tough talking hood boys, nor get blown up by nuclear weapons or terrorists, face the oppression of concentration camps, get burned at the stake by censoring zealots, manipulated by todays Tom Sawyer or the Superconductor nor controlled by salesman to once again come out with a set of lyrics that pretty much says the world sucks and can be a bad place all over again . . . again.

The Larger Bowl . . . and by the way the world sucks.

Spindrift . . . and by the way in case you didn't know the world sucks.

We Hold On . . . you better hold on tight because if you didn't know already the world sucks.

Far Cry . . . you better get back home and shut the door, because as I said, the world sucks.

QUOTE (Thud @ May 2 2007, 01:28 PM)
4 . . . just turn on the evening news if you want to know how bad the world can suck.

I don't need a guy who told us he didn't want to face the killer instinct, nor tough talking hood boys, nor get blown up by nuclear weapons or terrorists,  face the oppression of concentration camps, get burned at the stake by censoring zealots, manipulated by todays Tom Sawyer or the Superconductor nor controlled by salesman to once again come out with a set of lyrics that pretty much says the world sucks and can be a bad place all over again . . . again. 

The Larger Bowl . . . and by the way the world sucks.

Spindrift . . . and by the way in case you didn't know the world sucks.

We Hold On . . . you better hold on tight because if you didn't know already the world sucks.

Far Cry . . . you better get back home and shut the door, because as I said, the world sucks.

Ok interesting point of view....but I guess with all the complaining goin gon about the lyrics...what would you or anyone else prefer..? Sugarcoating things that are happening in the world...? Writing about things that are not real ...going into fantasy style writing..? I guess Peart is writing about what he sees out there and his view...which you can take or leave of course...but Rush has pretty much always tackled stuff as an observer and description of what is happening in the world...we have plenty of stuff that sugarcoats it...I am not saying he is right or wrong in this view....I've read many depressing books which are still...good books. I think maybe some people arelooking to these words as a solution to their own views which may have already brought them to the conclusion that alot of things in the world do suck...so they are feeling let down that no solutions are being offered..? :beathorse:Another interesting thing.....Grace Under Pressure was very dark for it's time as well....and there were alot of reasons dealing how the world appeared then which probably inspired that record as well.....

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 1 2007, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 1 2007, 09:19 PM)
Takes balls, and he says it very intelligently.  One of the best lyrically for me.  These lyrics have big balls.

I don't much care for 'balls'. If I did, I wouldn't like Geddy Lee's singing... (J/K, J/K...)

Anyways, there is a need for ambiguity. That's part of the art; anyone can say, "this is how I feel", but few can make it artisticly abstract, like Neil has in the past.

Art isn't just about abstraction or clever metaphors.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 2 2007, 12:48 PM)
I'm so glad Neil didn't sugarcoat these lyrics. He is telling the truth and sometimes that truth hurts. No need for ambiguity or beating around the bush when you feel strongly about something that may have an impact on our very existence.

Yeah I'm convinced Bill Donahue is somewhere on this board, you know he hates this album.

I gave the lyrics a 9

Archived