Really Overrated Directors

Ya_Big_Tree

Tarantino and Eli Roth

Not sure though if anyone likes Eli Roth, but even to say that he sucks would be overrating him

Tarantino has a 3-6 record with me.

Roth is 0-1. But that 1 movie I saw (Hostel) was so crap that I'll never watch another Roth flick again. It's as if some unimaginative 7th grader wrote and made that movie.

I even gave Michael Bay multiple chances, and he's an embarrassing 0-4 by my viewing.

Christopher "Know-it-All" Nolan.

He's right at the .500 mark with me at 4-4. Didn't you like the first two Bat flicks? Memento? The Prestige?

I've not been a big fan of any of them really. I don't hate them or anything but I don't he's quite the genius that a lot of people seem to believe.

He's right at the .500 mark with me at 4-4. Didn't you like the first two Bat flicks? Memento? The Prestige?

I've not been a big fan of any of them really. I don't hate them or anything but I don't he's quite the genius that a lot of people seem to believe.

Yeah I agree in regards to the genius comment.

Of the ones I liked, Memento was easily my favorite, Prestige was alright, and the Nolan Bat flicks (first two anyway) were refreshing after the long drought of enjoyable DC superhero movies. I didn't like the Burton Bat films so the last one I liked before Batman Begins was Superman 2. That's 25 years!

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Nolan's real hit or miss with me.

LOVED batman Begins. Thought the dark knight was good but goes on a little to long for my tastes.

So the Prestige last month actually. really enjoyed it.

but he can be real preachy

Mick

• Like 1

Nolan's real hit or miss with me.

LOVED batman Begins. Thought the dark knight was good but goes on a little to long for my tastes.

So the Prestige last month actually. really enjoyed it.

but he can be real preachy

Mick

I fell asleep at the cinema in Inception, hated the ending for Interstellar but wanted it to end 30 minutes earlier anyway, thought DK Rises was a big letdown, and (after a second viewing) didn't enjoy one of his early flicks called Following. Those are the 4 that failed me.

Batman Begins was definitely the better of the first two Bat films IMHO but both are very enjoyable.

So yeah, he's the epitome of hit or miss for me.

Of the ones I liked, Memento was easily my favorite, Prestige was alright, and the Nolan Bat flicks (first two anyway) were refreshing after the long drought of enjoyable DC superhero movies. I didn't like the Burton Bat films so the last one I liked before Batman Begins was Superman 2. That's 25 years!

The problem with Memento is the whole going backwards in time thing becomes too much of a gimmick after a while, and you don't care about the story because you know what happens already.

Well the Burton Batman films I found ok, I'm not a big fan of Batman anyway so it wasn't like I was comparing it to anything, except the 60's TV show.

• Like 1

The problem with Memento is the whole going backwards in time thing becomes too much of a gimmick after a while, and you don't care about the story because you know what happens already.

Well the Burton Batman films I found ok, I'm not a big fan of Batman anyway so it wasn't like I was comparing it to anything, except the 60's TV show.

One of the first mental health clients I worked with had chronic amnesia (same as the Memento character) so I'm connected to it in that sense. It had its faults but it did a pretty good job with all the disorientation. My poor client didn't know what the hell was going on virtually all of the time, same as Guy Pearce's character.

I'm not that big a fan of Bats either but all of that 'boom boom boom boom'ing from Danny Elfman and the repeated gothic style from Burton (which he still does 30 years later!!!) is tedious. You were just blinded by Michelle Pfeiffer in tight, black leather!

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

One of the first mental health clients I worked with had chronic amnesia (same as the Memento character) so I'm connected to it in that sense. It had its faults but it did a pretty good job with all the disorientation. My poor client didn't know what the hell was going on virtually all of the time, same as Guy Pearce's character.

I'm not that big a fan of Bats either but all of that 'boom boom boom boom'ing from Danny Elfman and the repeated gothic style from Burton (which he still does 30 years later!!!) is tedious. You were just blinded by Michelle Pfeiffer in tight, black leather!

She was hot though!

She was hot though!

So was Venessa Ferlito's ass in Death Proof but that movie was crap!

Not sure why M. Night Shyamalan is considered overrated. According to user ratings on IMDb, only 3 of his 13 movies are rated 7 or better: Sixth Sense 8.1, Split 7.3 and Unbreakable 7.2. I rate all 3 8 or better along with Signs 6.7 and The Visit 6.2. Five of his movies are rated below 6. Doesn't seem all that overrated does he? Edited by Rushian King

Christopher Nolan on the other hand has 8 movies out of his 10 rated 8 or better on IMDb with only Following 7.6 and Insomnia 7.2 rated below. In other words Nolan's 'worst' of 10 movies is tied with MKS's 3rd best. DK Rises 8.4 and Inception 8.8, really? Don't get me wrong though, Nolan makes better movies than MKS and is more consistent in his work but I think the Batman/sci-fi fanboys and girls probably skew results a little bit. Edited by Rushian King

Christopher Nolan on the other hand has 8 movies out of his 10 rated 8 or better on IMDb with only Following 7.6 and Insomnia 7.2 rated below. In other words Nolan's 'worst' of 10 movies is tied with MKS's 3rd best. DK Rises 8.4 and Inception 8.8, really? Don't get me wrong though, Nolan makes better movies than MKS and is more consistent in his work but I think the Batman/sci-fi fanboys and girls probably skew results a little bit.

I don't think the fanboy reason can be used here. A lot of non-fanboys liked the Dark Knight flicks. Additionally, many of the fanboys I know did NOT like Dark Knight Rises. If it were just fanboys, those Dark Knight trilogy numbers wouldn't have been that high.

Also, a lot of people seemed to like Inception and REALLY like Interstellar.

His last two movies sucked and just for that I'm waiting until Dunkirk hits HBO.

Dunkirk is a film that deserves a full screen viewing.
  • Like 1

His last two movies sucked and just for that I'm waiting until Dunkirk hits HBO.

I'd even say his last three thereby including Inception.

Note: I haven't seen Dunkirk and I'm not counting the short film Quay.

I do want to see Dunkirk though.

Mr. Michael I like when things go boom Bay.

now i know he is ragged on but his films rake in money so i call overrated.

and he's responsible for possibly the single worst franchise in film history

Mick

Mick

A $972 million budget over 5 films yielded $4.33 billion at the box office.

Just going off RottenTomatoes ratings for some kind of gauge, they've gotten approval ratings of 57%, 19%, 35%, 18%, and 14% respectively.

I've only seen most of parts 1 & 2 (fell asleep in both) and IMHO both of those percentages are extremely generous.

• Like 1

Having seen it, I would say if you're at all inclined to see it yourself, go while it's on the big screen.

• Like 2

Mick

Just going off RottenTomatoes ratings for some kind of gauge, they've gotten approval ratings of 57%, 19%, 35%, 18%, and 14% respectively.

I've only seen most of parts 1 & 2 (fell asleep in both) and IMHO both of those percentages are extremely generous.

I've seen the first 3 only because they're on Rifftrax. It's the only way I'll see that and Twilight. The Marky Mark ones aren't riffed yet.

Mick

I've seen the first 3 only because they're on Rifftrax. It's the only way I'll see that and Twilight. The Marky Mark ones aren't riffed yet.

I don't need Rifftrax for Marky Mark. Half the time he acts in dramas I laugh. :P

And I'll never see Twilight no matter who's ripping it! Never!

Mick

My daughter was watching Armegeddon the other day on Netflicks and so I sat down with her and quickly realized why I've only it once.

It's SOOOO BAD!!!

Bay's use of explosions is so over the top it's hysterical.

• Like 1