• VAN HALEN II
    • WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST
    • FAIR WARNING
    • DIVER DOWN
    • OU812
    • F.U.C.K.
    • BALANCE
    • VAN HALEN III

I'm definitely a fan of the Roth era and feel they peaked with Fair Warning. It might not have been the biggest commercial success but it has the most raw power of any VH record.

Weigh in.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 27 2007, 05:19 PM)
I'm definitely a fan of the Roth era and feel they peaked with Fair Warning. It might not have been the biggest commercial success but it has the most raw power of any VH record.

Weigh in.

The thread last night must've inspired you to do this.

My answer is: VAN HALEN III tongue.gif

Seriously, Fair Warning, for the reasons you gave. What a fantastic album, top to bottom. Nothing better than that.

As for singers, Sam did some good shit with the band, but doesn't even compare to Roth. DLR will forever be the singer for Van Halen.

For me it's Fair Warning, a fantastic album, Van halen at their peak. Just a great collection of songs with Eddie at his most orginal and inspirational.

Women an Children First would be second, with the other DLR albums close behind.

Sammy albums bring up the rear...

Agreed. I've always had equal favourites, but in this poll I give the edga very slightly to FW, with 1984 an extremely close 2nd. I would be next.

FW is by far their darkest, heaviest album, but it's just as groovin' and catchy as all the rest. That's why I love it....

Their debut album changed rock music for the better but I still think VH ll is their most solid songwriting. I'm such a huge fan of All of their albums but these are my top 3.

1) VH ll

2) 1984

3) 5150

Regardless if you like DLR or Sammy, one thing remains....Sammy can Still sing today! cool.gif

Van Halen (imo) is still the greatest (true) "rock band" of all time.

Without question...VAN HALEN I

I've said it before, and I'll say it once more...

Van Halen I is the greatest debut album of all-time by any band. The album is stacked from top to bottom...

AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE - perhaps the single greatest opening riff of all-time

RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL - not my favourite VH song, but no-one can argue the commercial success that it was (and still is) on the radio. It's a radio staple...and really helped push the album sales I'm sure.

ERUPTION - need I say more?! OUTSTANDING!

LITTLE DREAMER - the album's hidden gem...an amazing tune!

Ironically, I'm actually a HAGAR fan myself. Dave was a better showman and entertainer, but Sammy is by far the better singer! That, and I love how he brought a more serious side to VH.

Naturally though, you can't mess with what's perfect, and VHI is perfect!!

Their debut is one of the best debut albums ever, and it rocks from start to finish. But I went with Fair Warning because of the more complex guitar work. I think its great musicianship throughout, though less impactful than the debut as far as stringing together hit rock songs.

ROTH Era:

1. Fair Warning

2. Van Halen (debut)

3. Women And Children First

4. Van Halen II

I only have one Hagar-Era album and that's F.U.C.K. I actually really enjoy this album. There's no keyboards on it and it's very heavy, so heavy at some points that it reminds me of FW.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 31 2007, 10:06 PM)

I only have one Hagar-Era album and that's F.U.C.K. I actually really enjoy this album. There's no keyboards on it and it's very heavy, so heavy at some points that it reminds me of FW.

I never heard of that one, probably because lost complete interest in Halen once 1984 was released. U2,R.E.M. and RUSH occupied my attention from there on out. Sounds familiar..... OH YES NOW I GOT IT!

April Wine- If You See Kay. biggrin.gif

I'm surprised nobody has voted for 5150, that's always been my favorite. A great album throughout.

Fair Warning and VH 1 are close seconds, though.

QUOTE (ProgRocker @ May 21 2007, 12:01 AM)
I'm surprised nobody has voted for 5150, that's always been my favorite. A great album throughout.

I'm surprised you rate 5150 above the Dave-era albums, most people who do usually have some aversion to Roth, is that part of your reason? Another reason might be the more AOR direction of the music...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 21 2007, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (ProgRocker @ May 21 2007, 12:01 AM)

I'm surprised you rate 5150 above the Dave-era albums, most people who do usually have some aversion to Roth, is that part of your reason? Another reason might be the more AOR direction of the music...

Not really. I love both Sammy and Dave equally as vocalists; I just prefer that album for some reason.

All of the VH albums are enjoyable, IMO.