Magnolia.

deadwing2112

I just got the special edition on DVD and watched it again. I think I used to like it better than I did this time around. sad.gif Tom Cruise is brilliant though, yes he does play himself. A woman manipulating, closet case.

I love Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love!

I think Punch Drunk Love is amazing, so haunting and so much symbolism.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 20 2007, 09:14 AM)
On the dvd extras I remember watching that extended clip of Cruise's infomercial. It was hilarious. Also in that scene it looks like there's a painting of the cover of CHRONICLES in the background. Check it out.

It is indeed Chronicles but it is a HUGE poster, not a painting...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/Magnolia.jpg

I love all of Anderson's movies so far...Boogie Nights probably the best...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 3 2007, 06:42 PM)
On the dvd extras I remember watching that extended clip of Cruise's infomercial.  It was hilarious.  Also in that scene it looks like there's a painting of the cover of CHRONICLES in the background.  Check it out.

That is really random. Why was that in the deleted scenes?

Edited by deadwing2112

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Apr 3 2007, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 3 2007, 06:42 PM)
On the dvd extras I remember watching that extended clip of Cruise's infomercial.  It was hilarious.  Also in that scene it looks like there's a painting of the cover of CHRONICLES in the background.  Check it out.

That is really random. Why was that in the deleted scenes?

It was in the movie...JB was referring to the infomercial (extended) by Cruise

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Not to rain on the parade, but of Anderson's efforts, this film just seemed like one of those that had legs longer than it's pants.

I compare it to a Pollock painting...semi-technically it IS art, but you're a fool to pay millions for it. Just because everyone says it's art don't make it so...hello ROTHKO (OMG).

Magnolia is a film, but it rests in the catagory of "the emperors new clothes"...how many yes men this production went through and not one said...THIS SUCKS.

That's entertainment???

Pretty empty personification of a world that does not exist...uh, wait just a minute...I finally get it!!!!!

Anderson IS a GENIUS!!!

Not.

Osage

Very good film.

I loved the opening thing, those three vignettes about freakish happenings/coincidences. (Which AREN'T true, by the way, although the film says they really happened.)

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/opus.asp

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/scuba.asp

Somehow I doubt the Film Society will be putting this one in their Vault Of All Time.

Osage

I really liked Magnolia a lot actually, one of the few films where I actually like Tom Cruise's character (one of the others being 'Collateral')

Also a huge William H. Macy fan, I originally bought this movie because he was in it. Love the soundtrack too.

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Dec 21 2010, 02:03 PM)
Not to rain on the parade, but of Anderson's efforts, this film just seemed like one of those that had legs longer than it's pants.

I compare it to a Pollock painting...semi-technically it IS art, but you're a fool to pay millions for it. Just because everyone says it's art don't make it so...hello ROTHKO (OMG).

Magnolia is a film, but it rests in the catagory of "the emperors new clothes"...how many yes men this production went through and not one said...THIS SUCKS.

That's entertainment???

Pretty empty personification of a world that does not exist...uh, wait just a minute...I finally get it!!!!!

Anderson IS a GENIUS!!!

Not.
Osage

Agreed. This movie bored me to painfully dry eyes.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 21 2010, 02:45 PM)
...but he topped it with There Will Be Blood.

Another movie that had a lot of promise and great, great acting by Lewis but overall this movie was wasted on a tedious & meandering middle and sloppy, unfocused ending.

I have a feeling the preacher man's character was supposed to be more interesting and than the irritating f**k he came across to be. Plus he seemed to disappear for a long stretch so the tension between him & Lewis kinda dissipated...along with my interest in the film.

Took itself far too seriously in the end trying to be art for art's sake.