Decisions, Decisions

The O' Sullivan Factor

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Dec 28 2006, 04:09 PM)
Ok i'm going to the CD show in a few hours and I want a new Rush album. The ones I don't have are: Presto, Counterparts, Test for Echo, Fly By Night, and Rush... Help? wacko.gif

In this order:

1. Counterparts

2. Presto or TFE...either...pretty close there

4. Fly By Night

5. Rush

Well... If you have "ATWAS" and "ESL" then you have most of "Fly By Night", already. As these albums contain everything from "FBN", except "Best I Can", "Making Memories" and "Rivendell". So.... I would suggest "Counterparts".

If you don't have the "Live" albums, yet, "Fly By Night" is a good choice. If, for no other reason, that it's a significant album in the band's history.

Presto... but I think I'm the only one who says that.

Counterparts is my second choice (tied with T4E)

Test for Echo is a great album, good album art.

Fly By Night is great, but as someone mentioned: If you have the live albums you pretty much have all of the Fly By Night album. Same with Rush, kind of anyway.

It's up to you. confused13.gif

If you like great guitar work, get Rush or FBN, either one. They are both very guitar heavy. A power trio establishing the standard at that time. They are dated, but they absolutely rock.

If you like great guitar work and polished studio sounds, go for TFE.

If you like the samples and some moderate keyboard work, Counterparts is the one.

If you like over-produced studio work that is overtly watered down, get Presto. There are a few gems on this one, to be sure. But it is their weakest effort by far.

That's my two cents, anyway.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I'm going to advise Presto, even though Counterparts is my actual favorite of the ones you list.

Reason being: Presto wins the award for the Rush album about which my opinion has changed most dramatically. When it first came out, I was very nonplussed -- not only because I was still living in the synth era, but because it struck me as having a light and tinny sound for Rush. But there are a lot of very catchy tunes on it, and they grew on me fast.

In fact, I'm listening to one of those catchy songs right now -- War Paint -- as I type this. "The mirror always lies..."

Archived