Why are a lot of people on here down on

treeduck

Let's examine "side 2" (as I think of it still) of 2112 for a brief moment, as I've noticed that a lot of people on TRF seem to dislike it, which I totally don't get. To me it's made up of a very vibrant array of 5 songs. Here they are:-

A Passage to Bangkok

The Twilight Zone

Lessons

Tears

Something for Nothing

You have the classic Bangkok to start with, who's gonna say they don't like this one? The Twilight Zone is very underrated, a tune with a unique almost whispered Geddy vocal delivery making it a sort of ballad. The lyrics may not be everyone's favourite but it fits in with the Sci-fi opera theme of 2112 and follows up the eastern mysteriousness of Bangkok very nicely. Lessons is my least favourite song but it's still solid and has some punchy rhythm and lead guitar and Geddy's vocals soar, certainly not to be sniffed at. Then we have the excellent ballad Tears, which is another overlooked gem that I always enjoy, this song has some of the feel of the Twilight Zone but is lighter still, absolutely essential for me. Something for Nothing lyrically is a good foil for the title track with the Ayn Rand connection and this one rocks, a fitting album closer.

To me those songs back up side 1 very satisfactorily indeed, at the very least and they ensure that this album is a Rush classic all the way through not just for 2112 the song...

Let's hear it for Side 2...

1287.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 21 2006, 12:16 AM)
Let's examine "side 2" (as I think of it still) of 2112 for a brief moment, as I've noticed that a lot of people on TRF seem to dislike it, which I totally don't get. To me it's made up of a very vibrant array of 5 songs. Here they are:-

A Passage to Bangkok
The Twilight Zone
Lessons
Tears
Something for Nothing

You have the classic Bangkok to start with, who's gonna say they don't like this one? The Twilight Zone is very underrated, a tune with a unique almost whispered Geddy vocal delivery making it a sort of ballad. The lyrics may not be everyone's favourite but it fits in with the Sci-fi opera theme of 2112 and follows up the eastern mysteriousness of Bangkok very nicely. Lessons is my least favourite song but it's still solid and has some punchy rhythm and lead guitar and Geddy's vocals soar, certainly not to be sniffed at. Then we have the excellent ballad Tears, which is another overlooked gem that I always enjoy, this song has some of the feel of the Twilight Zone but is lighter still, absolutely essential for me. Something for Nothing lyrically is a good foil for the title track with the Ayn Rand connection and this one rocks, a fitting album closer.

To me those songs back up side 1 very satisfactorily indeed, at the very least and they ensure that this album is a Rush classic all the way through not just for 2112 the song...

Let's hear it for Side 2...

1287.gif  trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

I love side 2!!!!

I think side 2 is great with the exception of Tears. (although I used to play it a lot for this girl I had a crush on because it was her favorite Rush song. That was 18 years ago)

I've had a somewhat hard time with the earlier Rush material. 2112 is the beginning of my collection so to speak. Even when I bought it I had already come to the conclusion it wouldn't be played much.

BUT, thanks to Something for Nothing, Tears, and Twilight Zone, I now count the album along with my favorites. So I guess without side 2 I really wouldn't enjoy it that much at all!

FWIW ohmy.gif

I think it gets passed up sometimes because side one was so incredible. I don't think the back half is nearly as good as the front. I still love it, but it's a bit of a letdown after side one.

Perhaps this explains it to you ducky. I don't think people hate it so much as they are apathetic about it.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

My favorite album by far. This is around the time I first started listening to Rush. I love Tears. Probably because of the way I interpret it, written for a special woman by a man seeking forgiveness.

If you take the Smashing Pumpkins video of 1979 and play 2112 over it you pretty much get a view of my high school years. So for me 2112 (both sides) really holds a special place for me (along with MP). So yes, I love side 2 as much as side 1.

excellent album

both sides

i mean come on, side 2 has A Passage to Bangkok!! you can't go wrong! and Lessons??? great tune! Something For Nothing? amazing! i even based an english project on The Twilight Zone in grade 10!! now Tears, not one of my favorites, but still a great tune!!

SIDE 2 ROCKS!!

Both sides of that whole album are METAL! 1022.gif IF IT'S NOT METALLLL, IT'S SHIIIIIIIIIIT!

And the Twilight Zone is one of my top ten Rush songs.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Nov 22 2006, 10:44 PM)
Both sides of that whole album are METAL! 1022.gif IF IT'S NOT METALLLL, IT'S SHIIIIIIIIIIT!

And the Twilight Zone is one of my top ten Rush songs.

Lessons and Tears are no metal songs acoording to me wub.gif

I love the way the last three songs play on each other.

Lessons

Sweet memories

I never thought it would be like this

Reminding me

Just how close I came to missing

I know that

This is the way for me to go

You'll be there

When you know what I know

And I know...

Tears

A lifetime of questions, tears on your cheek

I tasted the answers and my body was weak

For you

The truth

What would touch me deeper...

Tears that fall from eyes that only cry?

Would it touch you deeper

Than tears that fall from eyes that know why?

and Something for Nothing

What you own is your own kingdom

What you do is your own glory

What you love is your own power

What you live is your own story

In your head is the answer

Let it guide you along

Let your heart be the anchor

And the beat of your own song

all tie in nicely with the 2112 side one I always thought.

Archived