Are movie theaters dead?

Jack Aubrey

Is it just me, or do movie theaters just flat-out suck nowadays? Lately it seems to me that the movie experience is just ruined. Crying kids, cell phones, ridiculously high prices, and flat-out rude people who can't be bothered to get up off of their dead fat ass ten minutes early so that they're not late, and when they do arrive (usually 5-10 minutes after the start of the movie) they have to go right into my row, because due to rotten cosmic circumstances, mine is the only row with empty seats, and I like to sit on the aisle. I know this crap wouldn't be too bad if I sat in the middle of the row, but it also wouldn't happen if you got your lousy ass to the theater ON TIME! I've read instances where movie theater execs like to whine and moan about the decline of ticket sales, and their favorite scapegoat is bootleg DVDs. Now, I am opposed to bootleg DVDs and don't own any myself. I see no logical reason to shell out any amount of money for a poor quality home video recording with no Dolby or DTS 5.1 sound. I'll wait for the official DVD release thanksverymuch. But you know what? If Mr. Theater Exec posted a sign in the lobby that persons caught recording movies would be ejected from the theater and got up off of HIS dead, fat ass and enforced it, then bootlegging would take a serious hit and ticket sales would increase. See, we used to have these guys called ushers, who enforced theater rules. Whatever happened to them? Also, in a classic case of arrogant stupidity, these same theater execs have decided to raise ticket prices in order to make up for lost revenue. So let me get this straight-bootleg DVD sales have hurt your business, so rather than taking measures to stop illegal recording you take it out on me, an honest law-abiding citizen? Umm, sorry, but no. I'll just wait four months for the movie to be released on (official) DVD and watch it in the comfort and privacy of my own home.

I hear you loud and clear, Jack. My wife and I used to go to a lot of movies, but the experience is becoming more of a pain. Yes, higher prices for tickets, and the concessions, forget it. The crying kids have always been a part of the experience, but the cell phones have taken it up another notch. (And the righteous indignation of some people who take the calls in the theater and get the WTF's thrown at them is a sight to behold.

It's not just DVD bootlegs and other ways of pirating movies, either. Quite frankly, the quality from bigger studios is suffering. Studios seem to be "playing it safe." Nobody is risking spending big money, because they always fear another Waterworld. So they do remakes and sequels galore, because they pay the bills, so to speak. And they are discovering that they can only go to the well so many times before viewers get tired of it. They might be making some money, and they might have a viable business model for the time being, but it will run its course eventually. In the meantime, moviegoers like us will have to suffer, I guess.

There seem to be a lot of movies made that receive little fanfare and hype that are made with lower budgets. One really has to pay attention to know that they're there. Some of them have been very enjoyable movies. There is a theater in Chicago that shows only movies like this. But yes, it is expensive to go to these places. And without sufficient marketing (which won't happen, because that requires a bigger budget), a movie must rely solely on the buzz created. Doesn't mean that the quality isn't there, though.

And of course, a prevailing attitude today is "I'll wait for it to come out on cable/DVD/Blockbuster/Netflix." When we were kids, the theater was the place to see the movie. The shift has been gradual over time, and now it's very obvious to all.

I don't really notice a big difference with movie theaters from where they used to be other than that they're more expensive, but how much more when taking inflation into consideration, I don't know.

I used to go see movies at least twice a week in the theaters, but that was because:

1. I wasn't married.

2. I was living in Los Angeles and there were tons of theaters with a very wide selection of movies to choose from.

Now I live MUCH more suburban, bordering on rural, and there's one movie theater that's a 25-minute drive. Combine that with being married (read - we don't always have the same taste in movies and she doesn't want to see the foreign and art films I do, if they were even playing at the one theater), and it means I see a movie in a theater pretty seldom.

Hopefully when I move to Oregon, I'll see them a little more frequently than the once every 2-3 months like it's been lately. I wouldn't want to go back to seeing 2 movies a week, but 1 every couple of weeks or so would be nice...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2006, 04:15 PM)
I don't really notice a big difference with movie theaters from where they used to be other than that they're more expensive, but how much more when taking inflation into consideration, I don't know.

I used to go see movies at least twice a week in the theaters, but that was because:

1. I wasn't married.
2. I was living in Los Angeles and there were tons of theaters with a very wide selection of movies to choose from.

Now I live MUCH more suburban, bordering on rural, and there's one movie theater that's a 25-minute drive.  Combine that with being married (read - we don't always have the same taste in movies and she doesn't want to see the foreign and art films I do, if they were even playing at the one theater), and it means I see a movie in a theater pretty seldom.

Hopefully when I move to Oregon, I'll see them a little more frequently than the once every 2-3 months like it's been lately.  I wouldn't want to go back to seeing 2 movies a week, but 1 every couple of weeks or so would be nice...

Ashland Film Festival

Goobie, films like Fahrenheit 9/11 and Brokeback Mountain play for months in this little town.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2006, 04:15 PM)

1. I wasn't married.

Now I live MUCH more suburban, bordering on rural, and there's one movie theater that's a 25-minute drive.  Combine that with being married (read - we don't always have the same taste in movies and she doesn't want to see the foreign and art films I do, if they were even playing at the one theater), and it means I see a movie in a theater pretty seldom.

Hopefully when I move to Oregon, I'll see them a little more frequently than the once every 2-3 months like it's been lately.  I wouldn't want to go back to seeing 2 movies a week, but 1 every couple of weeks or so would be nice...

Ashland Film Festival

Goobie, films like Fahrenheit 9/11 and Brokeback Mountain play for months in this little town.

score! biggrin.gif

hopefully, you'll be one of my occasional movie buddies smile.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 03:21 PM)
I remember when movie theaters were beautiful, and only had one screen. They were downtown. old.gif

I remember I was pretty young when there were BIG theaters with BIG screens. I remember it in the mid-70's, but shortly thereafter theaters got smaller, and the huge rooms with enormous screens were being cut in half. Living in Los Angeles was great for movies, as there were still SOME theaters (like the main room at the Mann's Chinese Theater) where they still had enormo screens. Usually, you have to take what you can get...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2006, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 03:21 PM)
I remember when movie theaters were beautiful, and only had one screen.  They were downtown. old.gif

I remember I was pretty young when there were BIG theaters with BIG screens. I remember it in the mid-70's, but shortly thereafter theaters got smaller, and the huge rooms with enormous screens were being cut in half. Living in Los Angeles was great for movies, as there were still SOME theaters (like the main room at the Mann's Chinese Theater) where they still had enormo screens. Usually, you have to take what you can get...

LA was great for the one big screen theaters. Westwood had a bunch of them, and of course there was Mann's Chinese and the Egyptian in Hollywood. And the cool thing was, they were always giving away free movie preview showings.

Phoenix used to have one theater like that, called Cine Capri. It was the only place in town that was showing Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back. It meant long long lines. But it was a great theater at which to see a movie. Alas, it's supposedly not an economically viable business model anymore. It went the way of the drive-in movie, I guess.

To the guy sitting next to me: Will you please shut up??? I don't want to listen to you and wifey discussing plot possibilities while I'm trying to watch the movie!

And to the guy sitting in front of me: Did you think that big message on the screen before the movie that said "Please turn off your cell phones" was meant for everybody except you??? I don't care how your boys little league game turned out this morning!!!

To the parents of the kid sitting behind me: Will you please get your bratty kid to stop kicking the back of my seat??? It is very annoying, much like your kid!!!

To the woman sitting to my left: If you'd quit drinking the 128 oz. diet coke, you wouldn't have to get up and go to the bathroom 18 times during the movie.

That's all. Thank you. trink39.gif

The last time I paid to see a movie in a theater was when "Rush in Rio" (I had to see Geddy's 40 foot nose on the silver screen) played just before the DVD came out. Most movies go to cable or DVD within a few months anyway. I pay a fortune for that rather than waste money in over-priced, crowded, movie theaters. Most movies that I have wasted the time to watch the trailers are garbage. I have my own personal reasons for not wanting to give money to Hollywood.

I think it depends on which ones you go to..when I lived in washington the one we always went to was crap..the speakers were all messed up and there were no cupholders!

This new one I go to now that I live in VA is pretty good...its huge has nice seats pretty good sound..only once they messed up the picture and the whole movie stopped for like 2 mins but other then that its a really nice place...so I think it depends on what theaters you go to...some are cheap but some are like walking on the red carpet.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 06:21 PM)
I remember when movie theaters were beautiful, and only had one screen. They were downtown. old.gif

Where i live, about 2 blocks down the street is the West Coasts largest SINGLE SCREEN theater. I forget where i read that, but yep rite here in my home town is the Lamp Theater.

I have to say that I didn't realize how good theaters are in the states until I left. Here, I pay 1600 yen (maybe about 15 bucks). And there isn't stadium seating, or comfortable seats with arm rests that can move, or even decent nachos to devour sad.gif . The only positives I can say is that beer is sold at every theater out here and I never hear anyone's cell phones ringing. Every time I go back 'home' to Florida to visit family, I try to catch 1 or 2 flicks.

(side note: I've been to some movie theaters in Malaysia and China and although the price is half (or even a third) of that in the states, the quality of the screen, seats, sound are substantially lacking)

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 07:21 PM)

Those were the dayz wub.gif

I miss the Drive-Ins

We all used to pack in the car in our Jammies & with our pillows,

Back then they would even have 2 films playin in 1 night,sometimes yes.gif

and then sit on the roof or hood or sit out the windows of the car

and watch the flick then run to the playground

and go on the swings during the intermissions..

back then they had to put the next reel on and took

a bit for em to load it

LOL remember when the film started to burn & melt

as it played laugh.gif

Ahhhh the Good Ol' Dayz wub.gif

too f*ckin expensive to go nowadays angry.gif

unless its a REALLY good movie ill wait till its on DvD smile.gif

Yep im a cheap date laugh.gif Rent a flick & get a 6 pk laugh.gif

since i get buzzed off like 2-3 beers laugh.gif

I haven't been to a theater in 6 years. Flat out refuse to go.

Rather watch DVD in privacy of my home with my big screen TV and surround sound.

The old drive-in experience was great.

No cell phones or crying kids; just mosquitos.

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Apr 6 2006, 06:23 AM)
I miss the Drive-Ins

Hey Donna if you ever get down to Ft. Lauderdale there is a place called the Swap Shop. In the day time it is a humungous flea market/circus (one of the biggest flea markets I have ever seen), and at night it is a 13 Screen drive-in that plays first run movies. Instead of the speakers you attach to your window, you now have the audio broadcasting on your FM radio. When I was living down there I saw probably 30 movies at the Swap Shop drive-in. The experience was still pretty similar to what I remember it being when I was a kid in the 70's.

The Swap Shop Homepage

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Apr 6 2006, 07:23 AM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 07:21 PM)
I remember when movie theaters were beautiful, and only had one screen.  They were downtown. old.gif

Those were the dayz wub.gif

I miss the Drive-Ins

We all used to pack in the car in our Jammies & with our pillows,

Back then they would even have 2 films playin in 1 night,sometimes yes.gif

and then sit on the roof or hood or sit out the windows of the car

and watch the flick then run to the playground

and go on the swings during the intermissions..

back then they had to put the next reel on and took

a bit for em to load it

LOL remember when the film started to burn & melt

as it played laugh.gif

Ahhhh the Good Ol' Dayz wub.gif

too f*ckin expensive to go nowadays angry.gif

unless its a REALLY good movie ill wait till its on DvD smile.gif

Yep im a cheap date laugh.gif Rent a flick & get a 6 pk laugh.gif

since i get buzzed off like 2-3 beers laugh.gif

I loved the Drive In!

I can't wait for the summer so I can go (it's been a few years unsure.gif )

Your lucky at our Drive In if you get the BIG screen (the other two are about the size of a billboard).

Here.... its $10 for an adult, which works out to $5 a movie, which is still cheaper then a theater, and you can sneak in your own food tongue.gif (ok, usually just the drinks being snuck in unless you dont mind cold popcorn).

The only downside I know to a drive in..... having to go to the bathroom from drinking the JUMBO.... laugh.gif you open that car door and about a million mosquitos begin attacking everyone else in the car....

unsure.gif opps unsure.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 5 2006, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2006, 04:38 PM)
I remember I was pretty young when there were BIG theaters with BIG screens.

old.gif I'm so old I saw 2001 in Cinerama. And It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Those and Around the World in Eighty Days...

Huge screen in Chicago. Gave out Playbills for the movies,

It was a big event for my family

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Apr 6 2006, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Apr 6 2006, 06:23 AM)
I miss the Drive-Ins

Hey Donna if you ever get down to Ft. Lauderdale there is a place called the Swap Shop. In the day time it is a humungous flea market/circus (one of the biggest flea markets I have ever seen), and at night it is a 13 Screen drive-in that plays first run movies. Instead of the speakers you attach to your window, you now have the audio broadcasting on your FM radio. When I was living down there I saw probably 30 movies at the Swap Shop drive-in. The experience was still pretty similar to what I remember it being when I was a kid in the 70's.

The Swap Shop Homepage

Coool MM thanx!

Far drive just to see a movie ata drive- in for me

since im in NY laugh.gif wink.gif

Thanx for the link too! Have to remember that wheneva i AM in FL yes.gif

and be sure to stay away from it in the daytime

Cuz, Where theres a Circus, theres clowns ohmy.gif unsure.gif

I think theres 1 Drive-in left here on Long Island

and its like a hours drive for me to get to...if it is still there confused13.gif

Thanx gain MM for the Info wink.gif

bekloppt.gif

We went to the drive-in all the time when I was in high school in the sixties. It was 90 cants per person. One time, on a double date, the girlfriends were smuggled in in the trunk of the car, to save money. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 6 2006, 01:16 PM)
We went to the drive-in all the time when I was in high school in the sixties. It was 90 cants per person. One time, on a double date, the girlfriends were smuggled in in the trunk of the car, to save money. rofl3.gif

What gentlemen,sarcasm.gif

Coulda let the girls drive in and u MEN got in the back icon_really_happy_guy.gif