Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 8 2007, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Mar 8 2007, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 6 2007, 06:29 PM)
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/NecroBolt/myungstick.jpg

Wow... i have a fifty string bass and STILL no one cares about us.  sad.gif

It's a Chapman Stick and it pwns everybody on this board. laugh.gif

and if I'm doing my calculations correctly, 12 does NOT equal 50 wink.gif

12... FIFTY... who cares? It's a ridiculous amount more than FOUR, which is all you need. yes.gif It's BASS.

If I am not mistaken, Tony Levin plays one of these....and no i am not mistaken!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZbOdgevxDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FasOszbmnwo

amazing bassist!

Edited by Groovybass77

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 8 2007, 06:39 PM)

12... FIFTY... who cares? It's a ridiculous amount more than FOUR, which is all you need. yes.gif It's BASS.

The point is that it's not a bass. It's a Chapman stick. It's more of a piano-like instrument.

His BASS has 6 strings to correctly rattle the stadium. Lots of metal bands have 6-string basses. They're awesome. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 8 2007, 07:39 PM)

#1- Not a bass

#2- Geddy played 5-string on Lock & Key, no?

#3- Plenty of people care about Dream Theater, considering that each of their concerts comes with a concerthallful of screaming fans

#4- top that, BITCH! nasty.gif

Well I joined this forum because this thread made sick.

First of all about it looking like DT does not want to be on stage is ridiculous. I mean they spend time afterwards with fans. I'm not sure about there DT concerts but I know JP spends time with people after the G3 shows. Also the go hold clinics all the time so obviously they like to spend time with fans. They also make instructional DVD's/books that are actually helpful.

Next saying that DT has no passion or emotion or anything like that is also stupid. I see plenty of passion in there music whitch is why it is so good. I don't think Rush has enough passion whitch is probally why there music is boring to me. If DT was in a band for the money they would have quit by now as they are all plenty rich. And people don't tend to write music for money, they write it to express themselves and for people to enjoy.

Also, you can basically listen to any song on a DT CD and like it, unlike Rush who has just a few good songs per CD. DT CD's also offer more then music they have fun little hidden messages.

On a techniccal standpoint DT is very good and they dont play like that to showoff they play like that to empress themselves. They have also written very good slow songs. I think DT beats Rush in about every way skill wise maybe not music wise. Also whats with all this Portnoy bashing? I doubt any of you should be insulting his playing as he probally plays better then anyone here.

I don't understand the reason why Rush fan's are so ignorant and hate DT so much. Maybe its because DT is better? I don't really know. I might be acting just as bad right now but we will see how you guys like it.

Also making fun of Portny for having some fun on a lawnmower is just dumb and now I feel very lowly towards Rush fans. I mean what has Rush been doing for the past several years?

Edited by BlackViper

QUOTE (BlackViper @ Mar 12 2007, 06:43 PM)
Well I joined this forum because this thread made sick.

First of all about it looking like DT does not want to be on stage is ridiculous. I mean they spend time afterwards with fans. I'm not sure about there DT concerts but I know JP spends time with people after the G3 shows. Also the go hold clinics all the time so obviously they like to spend time with fans. They also make instructional DVD's/books that are actually helpful.

Next saying that DT has no passion or emotion or anything like that is also stupid. I see plenty of passion in there music whitch is why it is so good. I don't think Rush has enough passion whitch is probally why there music is boring to me. If DT was in a band for the money they would have quit by now as they are all plenty rich. And people don't tend to write music for money, they write it to express themselves and for people to enjoy.

Also, you can basically listen to any song on a DT CD and like it, unlike Rush who has just a few good songs per CD. DT CD's also offer more then music they have fun little hidden messages.

On a techniccal standpoint DT is very good and they dont play like that to showoff they play like that to empress themselves. They have also written very good slow songs. I think DT beats Rush in about every way skill wise maybe not music wise. Also whats with all this Portnoy bashing? I doubt any of you should be insulting his playing as he probally plays better then anyone here.

I don't understand the reason why Rush fan's are so ignorant and hate DT so much. Maybe its because DT is better? I don't really know. I might be acting just as bad right now but we will see how you guys like it.

Also making fun of Portny for having some fun on a lawnmower is just dumb and now I feel very lowly towards Rush fans. I mean what has Rush been doing for the past several years?

o jesus christ....

look, its nice you want to defend DT, but......seriously, get your facts straight about Rush first, before you go into some long drawn out post talking about how they have no "soul".

its fans like this that make me cover my face to be a fan of bands. blind faith in any band is a horrid thing to have, every band has these types of fans, and unfortunately, they ARE the loudest.

so yes....please.....educate yourself before entering discussions.

other than that.......welcome! 2.gif

Everyone has their own tastes. You obviously enjoy Dream Theater's music much more than you do Rush.

I don't know what's up with all of the Portnoy bashing either. Some people have claimed that he acts like an arrogant ass in interviews, but I have not seen any interview videos or read any involving him so I can't judge him on that. I would assume you're referring to Necromancer here, who intensely dislikes DT. Necro is simply having fun here, he does not mean any harm against DT fans. He doesn't like them, so he likes to bash them. So what? It's his opinion. Necro is not making fun of anyone here specifically, except for the DT members. He is not trying to rile up any DT fans here.

I also agree that at least some of DT's music has emotion. I mean sometimes I feel that Portnoy overplays with the double-bass pedal and such, as well as Petrucci on guitar. But, it's all a matter of taste. I personally enjoy Rush's music much, much more than DT's, but both bands are excellent to me.

Now, when you say that Rush fans are ignorant and that DT is better than Rush, that is not a fact. That is strictly your opinion. You like DT better than Rush. I don't. I like both bands, but IMO Rush is a much better group.

And, once again, Necro was making fun of Portnoy on the lawnmower, but he was only kidding. Necro is a funny bastard, he likes to joke around. So please don't take him seriously. Although he can be serious at times.

Also, please don't call me out on this post, either. However, comment if you wish.

BTW, controversial 1st post as well.

I think Rush fans are the loudest. I mean this is a 30+ page thread of Bashing one band. I hate fans who think there band is better then any other band. Everyone has there own opinion on a band but bashing other bands is stupid. I like Rush but I like DT more and I think they need to be defended. Also why bash on DT, they look up to Rush and have always wanted to tour with them but because both of them have pretty big ego's and it probally wouldnt work. I just hate how you Rush fans act. I mean you act like Rush is the best band ever and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

The great DT debate is a lot of fun and will run and run. Some people just don't hear the soul and emotion in it. I'm one of them. It genuinely sounds like a load of widdling to me. But others here, such as Tick, just love DT. For him it is dripping with soul and emotion. It has to be my loss, he can hear a beauty I can't.

The point of that is that Rush fans are neither all of a common opinion nor cut from the same cloth. It's therefore plain silly for you to say 'I just hate how you Rush fans act' and 'I don't understand the reason why Rush fan's are so ignorant'. It is entirely wrong to suppose, as you do, that all Rush fans act in the same way and are of the same mind.

By writing in the way you that do, which is essentially to personally attack everyone on this board, simply means that the debate will turn from being about the relative merits of DT to what a plonker you are, which would be a shame as you make some interesting points.

Come, make yourself at home here and make your points about the quality of DT, but leave out the silly unjustified digs eh?

Disco

PS The pics of whoever it is on the lawnmower were done in the best sense of fun I can assure you.

PPS DT is all a load of mindless noodling and anyone who thinks otherwise is a musically retarded idiot.

I agree with you that all Rush fans dont act the same way. I can see that some of you here are actually different then what my view of a Rush fan is and thats a good thing. I may have said some stupid things but I was just mad at this whole thread. I just dont understand why to pick on DT both Rush and DT like to play the same type of music but they achieve that in a different way, maybe thats why people like to bash on DT becuase they are compared to Rush.

I think that quite a few of you make good points but then people who post a one sentence post saying "Portnoy sucks he will never be as good as Neil" or "Deam Theater has no emotion" is just annoying especially after it has been said several times. They could at least post some reasons.

But people like you Disco are different from my view of most people on this thread because you post more then one sentence and have some good points.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 12 2007, 12:35 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 8 2007, 07:39 PM)

#1- Not a bass

#2- Geddy played 5-string on Lock & Key, no?

#3- Plenty of people care about Dream Theater, considering that each of their concerts comes with a concerthallful of screaming fans

#4- top that, BITCH! nasty.gif

Ummm....okay.

1) I'M ONLY KIDDING

2) I'M JUST BUSTING MY BUDDY TICK

3) I'M JUST HAVING FUN

4) SEE ABOVE THREE

BIOTCH!!! tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Portnoy sucks he will never be as good as Neil.

Deam Theater has no emotion, other than soul sapping boredom.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 12 2007, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 12 2007, 07:42 PM)
Portnoy rocks big time !!!! he is as good as Neil.

Dream Theater has non stop emotion!!!!!!!! 

I do, however, agree with this assesment. Good show Disco, old chap. yes.gif

1022.gif DREAM THEATER ROCKS ! 1022.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 12 2007, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 12 2007, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 12 2007, 07:42 PM)
Portnoy rocks big time !!!! he is as good as Neil.

Dream Theater has non stop emotion!!!!!!!! 

I do, however, agree with this assesment. Good show Disco, old chap. yes.gif

1022.gif DREAM THEATER ROCKS ! 1022.gif

You are just evil. yes.gif

dazed025.gif

angry.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (BlackViper @ Mar 12 2007, 07:03 PM)
I think Rush fans are the loudest. I mean this is a 30+ page thread of Bashing one band. I hate fans who think there band is better then any other band. Everyone has there own opinion on a band but bashing other bands is stupid. I like Rush but I like DT more and I think they need to be defended. Also why bash on DT, they look up to Rush and have always wanted to tour with them but because both of them have pretty big ego's and  it probally wouldnt work. I just hate how you Rush fans act. I mean you act like Rush is the best band ever and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

I am a major DT fan... But it seems you are accusing these fans here of doing exactly what you are doing here - bashing a band and the fans...

It irritates me when I see people bash DT as well - one of my co-admins hates DT, yet he won't bother to give them an honest chance. But I let it slide off my back, just as you should.

And to categorically say "Rush fans..." this or that is ignorant. ALL Rush fans don't hate DT, just as ALL DT fans don't hate Rush...

Dream Theater is OK. I have some friends who are big fans and I have seen their concert DVD at Radio City several times. They are good musicians and all but I find them a little boring.

Their songs don't seem to be as good as Rush's and they don't seem to have the energy or the passion or the stage presence that the guys in Rush do.

Compare Rio with that Radio City concert and this is readily apparent. But, it could have just been this show.

And it seemed like the keyboardist was responsible for half of the sound of the band at that show.