Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 29 2007, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 29 2007, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 29 2007, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 23 2007, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 06:59 AM)

What an amazing band. I have not been as excited about a band in years.

I thought I would point out/recommend both of the Liquid Tension Experiment discs. portnoy/petrucci/rudess and the great Tony Levin.

All instrumental. really good.

Thanks Tangdog!! They're on my list. Transatlantic's 2 studio albums arrived this morning. Will get to LTE next.....

Love the Transatlantic albums!! Very Yes-like, not a bad thing.

LTE next.

Are you also a fan of Spocks Beard?

Well Tangdog, I wasn't. I was very much a '70's prog-snob to be honest.

But DT have changed that. I guess Spock's Beard are next for an aural ransacking. Any recommendations?

I got into Spocks Beard by being a DT fan and taking Portnoys recommendation. Neal Morse who plays on the Transaatlantic disc was the leader of Spocks Beard before he left the group.

I mention the Beard because of your "Yes-like" comment. To me the Beard are quite "Yes- like" in alot of ways, including great keyboards, great vocals and the big fat rickenbacker bass sound.

Heres a link to the Spocks Beard thread we have here. I posted some links to prog archives and you tube there of Spocks Beard.

I love all the Neal Morse era discs but would recommend starting with "V".

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...hl=spocks+beard

i cant believe how many people pick on dt but like prince, PRINCE BLOWS ! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Thing about Dream Theater and a lot of Rush fans is this: they seem to want to compare them with Rush or want them to be as good as Rush, song-writing legacy-wise etc, but that's never gonna happen. I never even had to think about this, which is why I'm surprised these arguments exist. It's a no brainer.

But that's no reason to diss DT. I just like them for what they are - a decent band with good players with no connection to Rush and no need for a comparison. And I'm not interested in whether Portnot idolises Neil or not, it makes no difference to whether i like them or not...

According to John Petrucci, the only reason Dream Theater exists is because he chatted with some guy in college because he was wearing a Rush T-Shirt, and it opened up a conversation between them. That guy was Mike Portnoy.

They then went on to create a band called Majesty, whose name was actually inspired, somehow, by the song Bastille day...

If you have comcast digital cable, you should be able to bring up a John Petrucci guitar lesson through the on demand menus, in which he talks about how much his playing is influence by Big Al...

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 5 2007, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 4 2007, 08:37 PM)
i cant believe how many people pick on dt but like prince, PRINCE BLOWS ! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Open up your eyes? Or rather your mind....

confused13.gif

no thank you. trink36.gif(like i dont know i cant stand prince.)

Edited by tick

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 4 2007, 10:49 PM)
Thing about Dream Theater and a lot of Rush fans is this: they seem to want to compare them with Rush or want them to be as good as Rush, song-writing legacy-wise etc, but that's never gonna happen. I never even had to think about this, which is why I'm surprised these arguments exist. It's a no brainer.

But that's no reason to diss DT. I just like them for what they are - a decent band with good players with no connection to Rush and no need for a comparison. And I'm not interested in whether Portnot idolises Neil or not, it makes no difference to whether i like them or not...

This is the way I compare 'em, musically....

If Portnoy had a 'drum-off' with Neil, Portnoy would win easily.

If Petrucci had a guitar duel with Alex, JP with absolutely wipe the floor with Alex.

If Myung and Ged had a bass fight, it'd probably be pretty close, with the edge probably going to Myung.

Rudess could probably outplay Ged on keys with one hand tied behind his back.

Technically speaking, LaBrie has a miles superior voice to Ged.

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

QUOTE (Roddy @ Feb 5 2007, 06:48 AM)

If Petrucci had a guitar duel with Alex, JP with absolutely wipe the floor with Alex.

If Myung and Ged had a bass fight, it'd probably be pretty close, with the edge probably going to Myung.

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

I agree on all statements here except Portnoy vs Neil... no way. tongue.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Feb 5 2007, 02:14 PM)

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

Petrucci would probably wipe floor with regards to number of notes per beat, but where is the feeling? The Mood? He would not wipe floor on the moody part of the playing. Why is BB King an acclaimed guitarist (at least for blues fans)? Well, surely not for his speedpicking. A. Lifeson is progrocks BB King. The fact is that you cant compare those two. A Lifeson would probably be equally good if he was 20 years younger, who knows.

With regards to Portnoy vs Peart..there is no discussion. Peart outclasses Portnoy.

Myung is a good baseplayer and he plays a lot, but I hardly ever notice it. You notice it when Geddy plays.

Rudess is of course a far better keyboardplayer than Geddy. So what? The songs are not there.

Labrie has a nice voice but has huge problems live with his dictation (I think it is called dictation?).

Ehhh......this discussion is useless. Rush rules!

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 5 2007, 09:10 PM)
Petrucci would probably wipe floor with regards to number of notes per beat, but where is the feeling? The Mood? He would not wipe floor on the moody part of the playing. Why is BB King an acclaimed guitarist (at least for blues fans)? Well, surely not for his speedpicking. A. Lifeson is progrocks BB King. The fact is that you cant compare those two. A Lifeson would probably be equally good if he was 20 years younger, who knows.

With regards to Portnoy vs Peart..there is no discussion. Peart outclasses Portnoy.

Myung is a good baseplayer and he plays a lot, but I hardly ever notice it. You notice it when Geddy plays.

Rudess is of course a far better keyboardplayer than Geddy. So what? The songs are not there.

Labrie has a nice voice but has huge problems live with his dictation (I think it is called dictation?).

YEAH!

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 5 2007, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Feb 5 2007, 02:14 PM)

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

wow, thats exactly how i felt watching prince in the superbowl, i mean sure he can play the guitar well, but his music sucks so who cares. its not all about musicianship. all that being said i love dream theater for what they do, and what they do is try not to be rush ! there dream theater so i wish everyone would quit drawing comparisons, it makes no sence to me, why ?

QUOTE (Roddy @ Feb 5 2007, 08:00 PM)
Comparisons are inevitable I'm afraid, my friend.....

do you mean between dream theater and rush ? there inevitable ? please explain why ? i dont see big comparisons of rush to other bands, why dream theater, there nothing alike ? confused13.gif

i dont see people comparing led zeppelin to rush, so why dream theater ? it makes no sence to me.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 5 2007, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Feb 5 2007, 08:00 PM)
Comparisons are inevitable I'm afraid, my friend.....

do you mean between dream theater and rush ? there inevitable ? please explain why ? i dont see big comparisons of rush to other bands, why dream theater, there nothing alike ? confused13.gif

i dont see people comparing led zeppelin to rush, so why dream theater ? it makes no sence to me.

Well, you'd put them in the same, or at least similar genre.

DT have long professed their love of Rush.

DT have made no secret of the fact they are heavily influenced by Rush.

Both write lengthy, prog Rock epics.

Both are lauded constantly for their incredible musicianship.

DT were heavily involved in making a Rush tribute album a decade ago or so.

Both are very fond of conceptual/themed songs/albums.

Both Peart and Portnoy play extended drum solos every show.

Both are very fond of uncommon time signatures.

They share many fans worldwide.

You see lengthy DT discussions on Rush boards, and vice versa.

They have been constantly compared and contrasted by the music press and fans alike for the best part of 20 years.

Apart from all that, though, you're probably right...

QUOTE (mikeroach113 @ Feb 5 2007, 09:12 PM)
"Live At Budokan" has to be one of the best live albums ever made. I also have the DVD, and I STILL haven't watched it yet!

that's like not wanting to bang ur GF because it's too good. confused13.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 6 2007, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (mikeroach113 @ Feb 5 2007, 09:12 PM)
"Live At Budokan" has to be one of the best live albums ever made. I also have the DVD, and I STILL haven't watched it yet!

that's like not wanting to bang ur GF because it's too good. confused13.gif

Huh? What?

I apologize if someone already posted this, but:

Dream Theater headlining GODS OF METAL ITALY 2007

Added 01-19-2007

Dream Theater will be kicking off their 2007/2008 World Tour on Sunday June 3rd 2007 with a headlining spot at the 3-day GODS OF METAL Festival in Italy.

The running order and lineup for that day will be:

DREAM THEATER

HEAVEN AND HELL (black sabbath w/dio)

BLIND GUARDIAN

DIMMU BORGIR

PORCUPINE TREE

SYMPHONY X

ANATHEMA

SADIST

DGM

I CANNOT WAIT!!! The new album is goona be freaking sweet, I can already tell by the comments Portnoy gave in the newsletter. Hopefully this year will be the first time I'll ever get to see them live out of the five years I've been a fan. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1287.gif common001.gif cheer.gif