Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I met somebody who told me he likes DT very much and he even can play some tunes by them on keyboard..

i took a picture with him-nice guy...

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/9527/38xn1av1.jpg

Dream Theater are simply some of the best musicians ever to walk the planet. And I can see why most people hate them. Sometimes they can be way to overtechnical and over the top. Just look at Train of Thought. Good songs. But I can't sit through the whole thing with out getting bored.

DT's live show really suffers imo.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Nov 15 2006, 11:37 PM)
I got Octavarium...I'm not too impressed... confused13.gif Train of Thought was SO much better

interesting, i much prefer octavarium to train of thought.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 8 2006, 10:46 AM)
OK, I bought my first DT album, "Once In A Livetime". It's excellent!!What should be my next purchase?? And after that, and so on.

"scenes from a memory" is the holy grail of dream theater. yes.gif

BUY IT !

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 8 2006, 03:10 PM)
OK, I bought my first DT album, "Once In A Livetime". It's excellent!!What should be my next purchase?? And after that, and so on.

BUY IT !

Consider it done!!

Many thanks Tick!!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 8 2006, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 8 2006, 03:10 PM)

BUY IT !

Consider it done!!

Many thanks Tick!!

wink.gif no problem, always glad to see a new fan born. trink39.gif

of coarse if you buy the latest dvd, score, your mind will be blown.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (Larks @ Dec 8 2006, 04:41 PM)
Scenes from a memory
Images&words
awake

"i want your ticket !" - larks

wink.gif

I'm new. Hi.

beathorse.gif

I got my first Dream Theater album; Octavarium recently. I like it, but I think at times the lyrics are a bit cliche and the guitar falls victim to the same problem towards the middle of the album. From the responses to their videos on You Tube I must be in the minority thinking that LaBrie has an awesome voice and tone. Portnoy is an amazingly inventive drummer and is in no way a Peart rip-off. I dunno where to go next album wise, recommendations?

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Dec 21 2006, 09:11 PM)
I dunno where to go next album wise, recommendations?

I like their newer stuff mostly because the early albums have (to my ears) really dated production values.

I like everything from Falling into Infinity onwards, but the latest ones are my favorites: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Train of Thought, and Octavarium.

I'd recommend 6DoIT if you don't mind springing for a double album. It has some really great stuff on it.

The thing that really gets me about these guys though is that they just can't seem to put together a completely solid album. Their metal and prog tracks are fantastic, but they always seem to feel compelled to throw in a nauseatingly dopey ballad or some other weirdness (case in point with 6DoIT, "Disappear"). Basically, I think there's 1 or 2 tracks on every single album from them that I literally throw away (to the extent that I do not put it in iTunes or on my iPod).

The good thing about 6DoIT though is that there's SO MUCH music on the album that even if you trash the two lame tracks on disc 1 (the other being "Misunderstood"), you still have about 100 minutes of great music!

As far as LaBrie's voice goes, it's grown on me. At first I couldn't stand it... he just didn't seem to have any personality or nuance. His voice was like a sine wave. But I like him better now.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Dec 21 2006, 10:42 PM)
All of 6DoIT is awesome IMO

but Images and Words is still the best

You seriously like "Misunderstood" and "Disappear"? I'm not trying to be churlish (OK, I found that word in the thesaurus; it wasn't the one I meant to use but I couldn't think of the right word and this one does just as well!)... I just honestly find those two unlistenable.

I can't off the top of my head remember which is which right now, but one of them devolves into some of the most intolerable guitar noise I've heard this side of Chicago's "Free Form Guitar" or Pat Metheny's "Zero Tolerance for Silence." Or maybe Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music," if that were actually played on a guitar.

QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Dec 22 2006, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Dec 22 2006, 09:48 PM)

I think Octavarium is the best DT album, any one agree?

No biggrin.gif

damn you all, damn you all to hell!

not really bolt.gif