Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I picked up "Awake" for eight bucks and like it...ok. Wasn't blown away to such a degree that I rushed out to get the rest of it. If I were to get any other DT album next, which should it be? Keeping in mind that I won't go over 22 normally for a single disc unless it is full.

QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 26 2006, 08:11 PM)
I picked up "Awake" for eight bucks and like it...ok. Wasn't blown away to such a degree that I rushed out to get the rest of it. If I were to get any other DT album next, which should it be? Keeping in mind that I won't go over 22 normally for a single disc unless it is full.

Albums vary wildy from each other, so you might need to identify what sound you like, whether it's more metal or more progressive, etc. and we can then make a recommendation based on that. My fav's are Images and Words, Train of Thought, Octovarium and metropolis 2. In retrospect, I loved when day and dream unite, but that was in 1990, so I was 22yo and DT had no other albums, only majesty demos which weren't available to the public yet...

QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 26 2006, 09:11 PM)

Images and Words is a must.

i got images and words a few days ago and it's sweet.

they also had scenes from a memory so i'll be getting it next time.

as i mentioned before, i usually hate metal, but these guys are so much more, it freakin' awsome!!

the guitar is insane! some of the best riff's i've ever heard

is the live stuff worth getting??

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Sep 27 2006, 08:58 PM)
is the live stuff worth getting??

I haven't heard Once in a LiveTime or Live at the Marquee, and the only Live Scenes from New York I've heard is on YouTube. However, here's what I have to say about the rest:

Images and Words Live in Tokyo/Five Years in a LiveTime:

5YiaL isn't worth it. But I'd pay the $19.99 just to get Live in Tokyo. They're all at their top during that performance, especially LaBrie, because it was recorded before his vocal chord rupture.

Live at Budokan:

James LaBrie wasn't really on top of things here, but the rest of them certainly were. Not to mention that it has a killer setlist. I've only heard it, and not watched it, however.

Score:

Get it. That's all I have to say.

As for bootlegs, Dream Theater bootlegs are much more accessable, and usually in mp3 format as well, which, in my opinion, is more convenient. Several people at www.dreamtheater.net/bb share entire shows via rapidshare, megaupload, etc (of course shows that are not available thru official releases) -- I'd check out the '92 and '93 dates first.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2006, 09:48 PM)
Live at Budokan:

James LaBrie wasn't really on top of things here, but the rest of them certainly were. Not to mention that it has a killer setlist. I've only heard it, and not watched it, however.

IMO, LaBrie gets a bad wrap on Budokan. His performance in 'This Dying Soul' was GREAT; it's also a very good DVD.

I would also recommend Live Scenes from New York on DVD. Kind of 'different' but fun, nonetheless.

Otherwise goodpost.gif .

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 27 2006, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2006, 09:48 PM)
Live at Budokan:

James LaBrie wasn't really on top of things here, but the rest of them certainly were.  Not to mention that it has a killer setlist.  I've only heard it, and not watched it, however.

IMO, LaBrie gets a bad wrap on Budokan. His performance in 'This Dying Soul' was GREAT; it's also a very good DVD.

I would also recommend Live Scenes from New York on DVD. Kind of 'different' but fun, nonetheless.

Otherwise goodpost.gif .

I'm just saying that he's "not on top", and for LaBrie, that's still pretty damn good. He sounds great on Hollow Years, Trial of Tears especially, and In the Name of God as well.

wink.gif

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Oct 1 2006, 06:56 PM)
i picked up scenes from a memory today

strange deja vu is playing right now!

great cd!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (melodic777 @ Sep 20 2006, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (OneHalf-D @ Sep 12 2006, 06:27 PM)
...Agree to the above post. Score makes up for the poor performance on the Budokon disc and highlights DT on a very good night. J.LaBrie sounds better than he has in a very long time. Rush could learn a little something about producing a quality DVD from DT.

To the person looking for more DT to buy, Scenes From A Memory is a must have.

lol

Are you serious? Poor performance? As a trained musician, I haven't really seen anything on that Budokan performance that would lead me to see anything less than about 99% perfect. I was at the NY show 2 weeks before the shoot in Japan and LaBrie was amazing both times as was the entire cast.

I was at the Radio City show and it was great to see that although many people will say, "He couldn't have sung that good, there has to be overdubs", you can hear him like a 1/4 tone flat here or there (like 3 times the entire show) and the rest of the time LaBrie really was that sick, as was the rest of the guys. I can say this because like any Rush or DT fan and maybe moreso being a musician, I am highly analytical of performances. Plus I don't drink or do drugs so I know what I saw those nights.

Poor Performance.......if you don't mind me asking, please, could you enlighten what the poor performance remark was based on? Is it because they didn't play enough old tunes? What they did play, they nailed. People aren't happy with the RCMH show because of the orchestra and what not - setlist. I didn't care much for the orchestra but moreso about sitting through 6 degrees when I've seen that all before and that's a big block of time that would have been nicely utilized on other tunes......however, I was only a part of that night. That night was their dream come true and they deserved to do what they thought was fitting for them. I was very pleased and after watching and listening to the Score stuff, I really have come to like the orchestrations added where they weren't before.

Poor performance? lol some people, lol

Well--wellwellwellwellwell!

I, for one, am not a "trained musician." I am what Mr. Beautiful refers to in another post as "a hobbiest." What I am above all else is A FAN! God forbid I guess? But I agree with those who say that Budokon is not there best live effort. Hell, they all but admit in the interviews that they were exhausted and jet-lagging big time...But I'm not a trained musician.

DT is always fantastic, but J.L. is just a little off on the Budokon disc; specifically, Endless Sacrifice, Pull Me Under (worst ever, live) and Solitary Shell. On the other hand Petrucci's gift to us on Hollow Years is a masterpice of solo guitar and makes the Budokon purchase a bargain at any price....But I'm just a hobbiest. I AM NOT A TRAINED MUSICIAN, so I don't think my opinion really matters.

My honest take on score is this:

Score is simply the finest package of Dream Theater in their 20 year history. It sounds fantastic on my stereo and on my TV. It's artfully shot without all the fast cutaways that kill R.I.R. The visuals are crisp and the mix is tight. As always I'd like them to bring up the bass a little...But that's just me....I'm not a trained musician, just a hobbiest.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Nov 2 2006, 05:12 PM)
Okay, another question, I have Images and Words and Train of Thought, and they're both awesome, what now? I'm thinking Change of Seasons or Six Degrees...

You really can't go too far wrong with any of them.

You might try one of their live discs/dvd as they are very impressive in concert.

A Change of Seasons only has one original epic and then a bunch of covers.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Nov 2 2006, 06:18 PM)
I was thinking about Scnes from a memory, sounds interesting, I might get it... 653.gif

its a must own ! yes.gif 1022.gif

Does anybody here have a CD called "An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"? I bought it at Best Buy last week and it's amazing! It has Rudess on piano and Petrucci mainly on acoustic guitar and I think the songs are all from Liquid Tension Experiment, but I'm not really sure. If you like DT, it's a must have.