Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

That sounds better but again, you can't tell much from a minute sound clip.

I know a lot of bands do that now but I really don't get it. You can't tell much from the short clips. The whole song is available so put the whole damn thing up.

I dunno, but after all the recent song snippets and 'On the Backs of Angels', I'm not really looking forward to the album as much as I thought I'd be.

Given they're only a minute or so long, but the only one that even remotely sounds awesome to me is 'Breaking All Illusions.' Everything else is, for lack of a better word, "BLAH"

Hopefully this isn't this case, but if the snippets are any indication of the album, I think I might be disappointed.

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Aug 25 2011, 07:26 PM)
I dunno, but after all the recent song snippets and 'On the Backs of Angels', I'm not really looking forward to the album as much as I thought I'd be.

Given they're only a minute or so long, but the only one that even remotely sounds awesome to me is 'Breaking All Illusions.' Everything else is, for lack of a better word, "BLAH"

Hopefully this isn't this case, but if the snippets are any indication of the album, I think I might be disappointed.

what we've heard of the album so far is more musical, energetic, original and inspired than anything Dream Theater has done since 2002 (with the exception of a couple songs/parts of songs). i don't easily get excited over new releases, but even i can hardly stand the anticipation with this one. To each their own i guess, if you prefer your Dream Theater bland and boring you've always got Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos to listen to confused13.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 25 2011, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (yyzyy @ Aug 25 2011, 07:26 PM)

Given they're only a minute or so long, but the only one that even remotely sounds awesome to me is 'Breaking All Illusions.'  Everything else is, for lack of a better word, "BLAH"

what we've heard of the album so far is more musical, energetic, original and inspired than anything Dream Theater has done since 2002 (with the exception of a couple songs/parts of songs). i don't easily get excited over new releases, but even i can hardly stand the anticipation with this one. To each their own i guess, if you prefer your Dream Theater bland and boring you've always got Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos to listen to confused13.gif

I like the last few albums, Octavarium especially, but I think this is a step in the right direction. The metal stuff was good, but I'm glad that they're moving forward. If they continued in that direction, it would eventually start sounding very bland.

I can't and won't judge anything about the upcoming album from 1 minute snippets.

I like the first song. I want to hear the way the album flows from piece to piece when I finally sit down and listen to it.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2011, 07:00 AM)
I can't and won't judge anything about the upcoming album from 1 minute snippets.
I like the first song. I want to hear the way the album flows from piece to piece when I finally sit down and listen to it.

+1

To me, the last few albums were pretty solid. Given, they're no 6DOIT or SFAM, but The Count of Tuscany 0:00 - 3:20 and 11:00 - end is the greatest piece of music I've ever heard. I also happen to like ToT. Pretty balls album from beginning to end. It's just with these snippets, it's not hitting me the same way their other albums have in the past.

I'm not judging the album based on these snippets, I'm obviously going to pick it up and listen to it thoroughly, but from what I've been hearing so far...not as excited as I thought I would be before hearing the teasers.

Holy shit!! Listened to it once and I love it already. Lost Not Forgotten is my favorite followed by Breaking All Illusions. Outcry is very good too. The ballads are much better than recent ballads, especially Beneath The Surface. The only song I don't care for is Build Me Up, Break Me Down, which did nothing for me. Otherwise, this is an excellent DT album, and I like it more than the last few releases (which I do like).

new album is a GIGANTIC step up, easily their best since Six Degrees. they sound very refreshed, like they had more creative control over the band. The songs don't drag, the drumming is inspired, the influences aren't worn on their sleeves as prominently. It does have a bit of a heavier/darker edge to it -- parts are incredibly reminiscent of Awake (which is a perfect album, so that's a good thing). I've only had one full listen so obviously i still have to do a lot more listening to take everything in. Lost Not forgotten might be the most amazing thing I've heard all year.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 1 2011, 08:44 PM)
new album is a GIGANTIC step up, easily their best since Six Degrees. they sound very refreshed, like they had more creative control over the band. The songs don't drag, the drumming is inspired, the influences aren't worn on their sleeves as prominently. It does have a bit of a heavier/darker edge to it -- parts are incredibly reminiscent of Awake (which is a perfect album, so that's a good thing). I've only had one full listen so obviously i still have to do a lot more listening to take everything in. Lost Not forgotten might be the most amazing thing I've heard all year.

I think at least 3 of these songs could become classics. Lost Not Fogotten is unbelievable as you say! trink39.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 2 2011, 01:44 AM)

Well f**k me, said the Queen Bee. Didn't see that coming! My box set arrives in a fortnight....bring it on.

The new album is pretty damn good. I'm not sure why On The Backs Of Angels never hit me the four or five times I heard it but when I put on the album it clicked.

I think the version of the song I heard on youtube wasn't the complete version of the song because the album version has so much more punch to it.

Just heard all the new songs and I'm surprised at how many old tricks they reused from the past. The track I was looking forward to most was Outcry and it has the same ol' Metropolis/LTE breakdowns in the middle. Jordan really needs to hold back on this album. I was in support of him before writing on the album and trying some new stuff but he's all over the place here. Outcry is another example of just too much electronics/keys for my taste. Lost But Not Forgotten another epic 10 minute+ track reminds of Train of Thought mixture of Metallica/Megadeth riffage that were inspired by on the album. The chorus just sounds pasted on like an afterthought.

James' vocals aren't autotuned as much as they are on Backs of Angels and he stands out in his performance on most of the album which is a plus.

That being said, best track hand's down is Bridges In The Sky (formerly The Shaman's Trance). I get a very dark, classic Awake vibe on this song and it reminds me of this more so than a lot of other tracks on the album. At first it just sounds like the usual recycled Train of Thought/Systematic riffage, but Petrucci crafted the song so well with the build up of the chorus to maintain a great epic feel. The keys are nice and laid back in the background like DT of old.

Edited by quickfree

QUOTE (quickfree @ Sep 2 2011, 05:41 PM)
Just heard all the new songs and I'm surprised at how many old tricks they reused from the past. The track I was looking forward to most was Outcry and it has the same ol' Metropolis/LTE breakdowns in the middle. Jordan really needs to hold back on this album. I was in support of him before writing on the album and trying some new stuff but he's all over the place here. Outcry is another example of just too much electronics/keys for my taste. Lost But Not Forgotten another epic 10 minute+ track reminds of Train of Thought mixture of Metallica/Megadeth riffage that were inspired by on the album. The chorus just sounds pasted on like an afterthought.

James' vocals aren't autotuned as much as they are on Backs of Angels and he stands out in his performance on most of the album which is a plus.

That being said, best track hand's down is Bridges In The Sky (formerly The Shaman's Trance). I get a very dark, classic Awake vibe on this song and it reminds me of this more so than a lot of other tracks on the album. At first it just sounds like the usual recycled Train of Thought/Systematic riffage, but Petrucci crafted the song so well with the build up of the chorus to maintain a great epic feel. The keys are nice and laid back in the background like DT of old.

I really like Jordan's work on this album. He's playing more piano and classic synth sounds, which really adds to the music.