Hall of Very Good

edhunter

3 hours ago, edhunter said:

Beltre, Helton, and Mauer voted into the Hall. What a freaking joke. Add Biggio, Rolen and Baines and no wonder baseball’s popularity has faded. 

You're even down on Beltre? 3000 hits? Nearly 500 HRs? Five Gold Gloves?  I'm guessing you're a "Small Hall" kind of a guy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

You're even down on Beltre? 3000 hits? Nearly 500 HRs? Five Gold Gloves?  I'm guessing you're a "Small Hall" kind of a guy.

I am an extremely small hall guy in an everybody gets a trophy world. Beltré played 21 years in the Bigs and made five All-Star teams. How does a guy who for 3/4 of his career was not one of the 25 best players in his league get named tothe hall (on the first ballot, no less)??! His highest MVP finish was second, one time.

And don’t even get me started on the other two.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, edhunter said:

Beltre, Helton, and Mauer voted into the Hall. What a freaking joke. Add Biggio, Rolen and Baines and no wonder baseball’s popularity has faded. 

Like almost of all the rest of society sports is being watered down and the actual super stars and heroes (not sports related) are lumped in with the "pretty good" people and no one in a position of actual influence will say anything for fear of "cancellation".

1 hour ago, edhunter said:

I am an extremely small hall guy in an everybody gets a trophy world. Beltré played 21 years in the Bigs and made five All-Star teams. How does a guy who for 3/4 of his career was not one of the 25 best players in his league get named tothe hall (on the first ballot, no less)??! His highest MVP finish was second, one time.

Beltre's WAR puts him top 40 all time, #27 for position players and 3rd all time for 3rd basemen.  His 3166 hits is top 18, with ten of his category peers having longer careers.  His totals for RBIs, HRs, doubles, total bases are 25th, 31st, 11th, 15th all time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edhunter said:

What do think about the other two?  :wink:  :bolt:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, edhunter said:

3 hours ago, goose said:

Beltre's WAR puts him top 40 all time, #27 for position players and 3rd all time for 3rd basemen.  His 3166 hits is top 18, with ten of his category peers having longer careers.  His totals for RBIs, HRs, doubles, total bases are 25th, 31st, 11th, 15th all time.

Yep, solid numbers.

Plus, I wouldn't consider number of all star game appearances as a metric for HOF worthiness. All star games are more about popularity and pageantry than anything else, and they're probably the least-watched event of any sports league's season.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, edhunter said:

Beltre got 95% of the vote.  Pull your head out of your ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, liquidcrystalcompass said:

Beltre got 95% of the vote.  Pull your head out of your ass.

That’s even more insane. Nobody who relies on analytics to make a decision should be allowed to vote. At the very least Beltran should’ve had to wait five or six years.  I’ve always been in favor of keeping the steroid guys out, but even letting them in would be less of a disgrace than this. 

Beltre is one of the best all around third basemen to ever play.  Full stop. He could have 3-5 more gold gloves based on actual on the field play as well as metrics.  Oh, and bonus -- he could hit.

You're a miserable sod.

• Haha 1

I must be a large HOF guy.  Not a huge baseball fan but I would have voted for Beltre, Biggio, Rolen, Helton & Mauer.  Not certain about Baines though.  I actually thing there were some other gutys on the ballot I might have voted for but I can't recall the names right now.  But it seems like every year when I see the ballot I am like "I would vote for him and him and him and him.  O, yes, and him.  Probably him as well.  Maybe him as well"  Then only a few of the folks get in.

Prime example  - even though I generally would vote no on the steroid guys - I would have voted for Curt Schilling.  Grade A jerk but I would have voted him in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stoopid said:

Beltre is one of the best all around third basemen to ever play.  Full stop. He could have 3-5 more gold gloves based on actual on the field play as well as metrics.  Oh, and bonus -- he could hit.

You're a miserable sod.

Another bonus - he was extremely valuable in the locker room.  He helped groom younger players and everyone looked up to him.  He led by example.  Tough son of a gun too.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 7:52 AM, edhunter said:

That’s even more insane. Nobody who relies on analytics to make a decision should be allowed to vote. 

:unsure:

This isn't a vote for Prom Queen, you know.

19 minutes ago, goose said:

:unsure:

This isn't a vote for Prom Queen, you know.

Nope. It’s just this year. Version of everyone gets a f***ing trophy. The hall is for the best of the best of the best which none of these three ever were. 

17 hours ago, edhunter said:

Nope. It’s just this year. Version of everyone gets a f***ing trophy. The hall is for the best of the best of the best which none of these three ever were. 

Top 40 numbers or better all time across the board convinces me otherwise.  He may have been lower in popularity and team success than others - he wouldn't have been on my Hall selection radar - but looking into it I have to agree that his production ranks him among the all-time best at his position. :cheers:

On 1/25/2024 at 9:40 PM, TheAccountant said:

I must be a large HOF guy.  Not a huge baseball fan but I would have voted for Beltre, Biggio, Rolen, Helton & Mauer.  Not certain about Baines though.  I actually thing there were some other gutys on the ballot I might have voted for but I can't recall the names right now.  But it seems like every year when I see the ballot I am like "I would vote for him and him and him and him.  O, yes, and him.  Probably him as well.  Maybe him as well"  Then only a few of the folks get in.

Prime example  - even though I generally would vote no on the steroid guys - I would have voted for Curt Schilling.  Grade A jerk but I would have voted him in.

Schilling is in the discussion for greatest post season pitcher of all time.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 9:03 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Schilling is in the discussion for greatest post season pitcher of all time.

Exactly!!!!  A huge part of my being willing to vote for him.  There are better pitchers in the regular season over their careers who don't perform well in the post season.  Schilling though -very good regular season record but post season?  I want him out there as a starter.  

• Like 2