How do you rank your life as a sports fan?

blackhawkrush

I'm sure there has been more sport disappointments in your lives than those of happiness following your favorite teams. This thread is designed to find out about the level of contentment you feel with the results of the clubs you've been rooting for over the years. As for me, I've lived through three dynasties, Hawks (three championships in six years), Wisla in soccer (eight championships in twelve years), and Cracovia in hockey (seven championships in eleven years). With all that, I'll have to give my experience a strong B. What's your rank? 

I'm a Yankee, Laker, Cowboy and Duke basketball and Alabama football fan.  Life is pretty good, I'd give my experience an A.  When we win, which hasn't happened all that much lately, I rub it in to all of those loyal shrubs who root for their home teams.  When we lose, which for the Yankees and especially the Cowboys is quite a bit lately, I shout things like "27!", "America's Team" and "You're just jealous of us" at those loser fans from other teams.

Cause I'm a winner, just like my teams...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I'm a Yankee, Laker, Cowboy and Duke basketball and Alabama football fan.  Life is pretty good, I'd give my experience an A.  When we win, which hasn't happened all that much lately, I rub it in to all of those loyal shrubs who root for their home teams.  When we lose, which for the Yankees and especially the Cowboys is quite a bit lately, I shout things like "27!", "America's Team" and "You're just jealous of us" at those loser fans from other teams.

Cause I'm a winner, just like my teams...

It's D- then, is it? Next patient.  :wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Regarding my Angels, Ducks and Rams now, what's the name of that 1991 Mel Brooks movie?

Guess this is my "punishment" for living a state with free weed for 7 years. :smoke:

'Get Smart', will you?  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

It's D- then, is it? Next patient.  :wacko:

So jelly.

Ya hate us cause ya ain't us.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chicken hawk said:

I follow ALL Boston Sports teams !  Bruins and Celtics are worth watching !  

Go     B O S T O N    !   :hockey2:  :thumbsup:  :wave:

A for mentioning the Bruins first!    :rr:

• Like 2

I mainly follow two groups of teams; those from my current home area of Miami and Florida, and those of my birthplace and home of 35+ years, Detroit and Michigan.  C-.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

"My Teams" over the past 50+ years:

Cincinnati Reds:  World Series: 1970, 1972, 1975 (Won), 1976 (Won), 1990 (Won)

Cincinnati Bengals:  Super Bowl:  1981, 1988

Green Bay Packers:  Super Bowl:  1996 (Won), 1997, 2010 (Won)

Kentucky Wildcats Basketball:  NCAA Champions:  1978, 1996, 1998

I've been quite fortunate.  I've seen most of My Teams at their best and their worst.  I give myself a "B".  

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

I mainly follow two groups of teams; those from my current home area of Miami and Florida, and those of my birthplace and home of 35+ years, Detroit and Michigan.  C-.

With the Wings dominating the league for about fifteen years, you wouldn't consider raising that to at least a C? 

• Like 1

Chicago Cubs: world series in 2016, no WS appearances and several collapses in the other 53 years I've been a fan

Miami Dolphins, no Super Bowl wins since 1973,_no appearances since 1984, no post season wins since 2001, and we're losing to the fing Raiders at home

Indiana Hoosiers, championships in 1976, 1981, and 1987, but no Final Four or even Elite Eights since 2002.

Grade:  F

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Chicago Cubs: world series in 2016, no WS appearances and several collapses in the other 53 years I've been a fan

Miami Dolphins, no Super Bowl wins since 1973,_no appearances since 1984, no post season wins since 2001, and we're losing to the fing Raiders at home

Indiana Hoosiers, championships in 1976, 1981, and 1987, but no Final Four or even Elite Eights since 2002.

Grade:  F

What about Hawks and Bulls? Not interested? You would've had nine championships right there. 

• Like 1

(A disclaimer to deflect claims of bandwagonism) I came of sporting age in the late '70s, with parents who didn't care at all about it, so I choose from the teams that were on my TV or that my schoolmates knew, thus:

St. Louis Cardinals -- an A-. Good in the '80s, good again in the '00s; several WS titles. Popular everywhere.

Kansas City Royals -- a C. Good 1976-1986, 2014-2015; very, very terrible the rest of the time. Should probably be worse, but this is a gentleman's C.

Dallas Cowboys -- a C-. Very good (with a dip) up until about 1995; very mediocre since then. Much psychic pain.

Liverpool FC -- A-. Very good in the '80s, periodically very good since about 2005.

St. Louis Blues -- B-. Came to the Blues a little later (college friends); mostly mediocre, with occasional high.

NBA -- n/a. I rooted for the Lakers against the Celtics, but after the "Dream Team" (aka "The US throws a tantrum about losing and so gathers a team of ringers to feel good about themselves again") I checked out.

At the college level, I'm sort of all over the place, but I support Kentucky basketball (grad school) (A-) and Missouri football (children's' alma mater, local school) (C).

Averaging all those scores, I get a B- . Sounds about right.

Watching so much crap play over the years, though, has taught me to enjoy the little moments of joy -- the great catch, the great save, the late-game heroics -- separately from the outcome.

• Like 2

My Mom was a die hard Dodgers fan but I never took to baseball.  She got our family going to the local minor league hockey team in the early 70's, The Salt Lake Golden Eagles.  Got hooked and was able to see them win a few championships in the Central Hockey League '75,' 80, '81 and the IHL '87',88.  Had a chance to meet Marcel Dionne and took a picture of him with my Mom at a game in Denver in the 90's. Also got Mike Richter's autograph before he went up to New York (the Denver Rangers were one of their farm clubs then).

Hubby and I wanted to go to a Kings game on our honeymoon so we could see Gretzky, but in 1995 the NHL was on strike.  Our local hockey team had been sold so we went to Vegas to watch the Denver Grizzlies play the Las Vegas Thunder to celebrate our wedding.  Next year the Grizzlies moved to Salt Lake while the Nordiques moved to Denver. We wanted to see the US v Canada men's teams in 2002 when the Olympics came to Utah but tickets were way out of our budget.  Did see the US women play 3 games, one being the final with Canada.  That was a fantastic time to have the Olympics in our back yard.

Only been to one actual NHL game, saw the Avs play the Thrashers in Atlanta.  NHL teams I follow are Chicago Blackhawks, loved seeing them win 3 Stanley Cups, Colorado Avalanche fan due to my Mom again and I kept watching them after she passed and learned to love them. Loved seeing them win in 2022 and the 2001 win with Ray Bourque lifting the Cup still makes me tear up.   Still hoping we will get to some NHL games soon, I love hockey!

Became a season ticket holder for the University of Utah football team 26 years ago and have seen the team go from Mountain West to  PAC 12.  Hubby and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at the Fiesta Bowl in 2005 when we were the BCS busters.  We have enjoyed the ups and downs of the team and made great friends, the games are a highlight of our year.  Have traveled multiple times to Folsom Field to watch the Utes play the Buffs, seeing Ralphie run the field is one of the coolest traditions ever.  Don't know with the move to the Big 12 if we will see any out of town games but will always be a Ute fan.

So I think I would give myself a A-

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhyta said:

My Mom was a die hard Dodgers fan but I never took to baseball.  She got our family going to the local minor league hockey team in the early 70's, The Salt Lake Golden Eagles.  Got hooked and was able to see them win a few championships in the Central Hockey League '75,' 80, '81 and the IHL '87',88.  Had a chance to meet Marcel Dionne and took a picture of him with my Mom at a game in Denver in the 90's. Also got Mike Richter's autograph before he went up to New York (the Denver Rangers were one of their farm clubs then).

Hubby and I wanted to go to a Kings game on our honeymoon so we could see Gretzky, but in 1995 the NHL was on strike.  Our local hockey team had been sold so we went to Vegas to watch the Denver Grizzlies play the Las Vegas Thunder to celebrate our wedding.  Next year the Grizzlies moved to Salt Lake while the Nordiques moved to Denver. We wanted to see the US v Canada men's teams in 2002 when the Olympics came to Utah but tickets were way out of our budget.  Did see the US women play 3 games, one being the final with Canada.  That was a fantastic time to have the Olympics in our back yard.

Only been to one actual NHL game, saw the Avs play the Thrashers in Atlanta.  NHL teams I follow are Chicago Blackhawks, loved seeing them win 3 Stanley Cups, Colorado Avalanche fan due to my Mom again and I kept watching them after she passed and learned to love them. Loved seeing them win in 2022 and the 2001 win with Ray Bourque lifting the Cup still makes me tear up.   Still hoping we will get to some NHL games soon, I love hockey!

Became a season ticket holder for the University of Utah football team 26 years ago and have seen the team go from Mountain West to  PAC 12.  Hubby and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at the Fiesta Bowl in 2005 when we were the BCS busters.  We have enjoyed the ups and downs of the team and made great friends, the games are a highlight of our year.  Have traveled multiple times to Folsom Field to watch the Utes play the Buffs, seeing Ralphie run the field is one of the coolest traditions ever.  Don't know with the move to the Big 12 if we will see any out of town games but will always be a Ute fan.

So I think I would give myself a A-

That's not fair. You used national teams as well. I'd have to drop my score to D-.   :fistscrying:

On 11/18/2023 at 5:48 PM, Chicken hawk said:

I follow ALL Boston Sports teams !  Bruins and Celtics are worth watching !  

Go     B O S T O N    !   :hockey2:  :thumbsup:  :wave:

Too bad your football team hardly ever won anything

Dodgers/As fan, SJ Sharks, so there were some good years.  NBA my team is the Lakers, and the early 80s were great fun.

NFL-wise had had a decades long codependent relationship with the Seahawks, till I ended it, having had enough.  When Alex Smith got dicked by the Niners I took to cheering him in with the Chiefs.  They've been my team since,  and it's been fun enjoying their success.

PGA I was an unapologetic Tiger fan, which was great fun.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 1:34 PM, blackhawkrush said:

With the Wings dominating the league for about fifteen years, you wouldn't consider raising that to at least a C? 

Dominate?  Last Cup win 2007-2008?  Haven't made playoffs the last 7 seasons?  Made imho the mistake of putting Steve Yzerman upstairs in a suit instead of on the bench actually coaching? Nope.

3 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Dominate?  Last Cup win 2007-2008?  Haven't made playoffs the last 7 seasons?  Made imho the mistake of putting Steve Yzerman upstairs in a suit instead of on the bench actually coaching? Nope.

I meant from 1995 to 2010 or so, while you've been alive. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, blackhawkrush said:

That's not fair. You used national teams as well. I'd have to drop my score to D-.   :fistscrying:

OOPS!:wave:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, goose said:

Dodgers/As fan, SJ Sharks, so there were some good years.  NBA my team is the Lakers, and the early 80s were great fun.

NFL-wise had had a decades long codependent relationship with the Seahawks, till I ended it, having had enough.  When Alex Smith got dicked by the Niners I took to cheering him in with the Chiefs.  They've been my team since,  and it's been fun enjoying their success.

PGA I was an unapologetic Tiger fan, which was great fun.

Alex Smith is a classy guy, it was fun seeing him at the Fiesta Bowl 2005.  I am with you, Niners did him dirty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

You have to admit Stevie Y did a good job getting the Bolts turned around.  Detroit is looking like they are coming along nicely IMHO