Grace Under Pressure 40th boxed set?

caskof43

5 hours ago, TheGhostRider said:

As much as I'd love to see a release like this happen, I have my doubts that it ever will, for a few different reasons.

1) Physical Media is a dying industry.

With the exceptions of collectors and preservationists, most people simply do not care for Physical forms of media. As a result Anthem would be less likely to release an updated remastered release for such a small percentage of people.

2) The Footage might not exist anymore.

In all the research I've done on this topic, I have never found any evidence to suggest that the film reels were preserved or held onto. It's to the contrary actually. I recall reading a post someone posted on the forum where it was mentioned that nobody bothered to keep track of the film reels after each live video was released in the 80's. Additionally, sources close to Rush have stated that the band had absolutely zero interest in older footage of themselves and as a result they did not go to any lengths to preserve it. A lot of the older footage that we do have exists only because it was preserved by third parties or by people close to the band who stepped in to save it.Even for the R40 boxset, they used the same old video transfers for footage that was included. The bonus Lock and Key Footage from ASOH was from the same old video transfer as the VHS/Laserdisc, and DVD release. Not a remastered and newly scanned negative. I'd love to be wrong, but I do believe that the original negatives for ESL, GUP, and ASOH are probably long gone or unaccounted for.

There was someone over at the Steve Hoffman forum a while back who claimed he worked on the Beyond the Lighted Stage doc and saw the film cans for ESL in a warehouse, but I don't know how credible he was, and I've never seen any other information from anyone who would know, one way or the other.  Until solid information to the contrary emerges, I choose to believe the original negatives still exist...

• Like 1

Not the Grace Under Pressure 40th Anniversary we were looking for...https://x.com/rushisaband/status/1781665009669402953

Still no word on the Super Deluxe would could, potentially, be the best one of the series. I mean they have the ENTIRE video & audio of the Maple Leaf Gardens show. The question is will they invest the money to make them available to us on blu-ray and CD or are they going to ignore GUP and give us a rehash 50th Anniversary first album? So disappointed so far!

1 hour ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Not the Grace Under Pressure 40th Anniversary we were looking for...https://x.com/rushisaband/status/1781665009669402953

Still no word on the Super Deluxe would could, potentially, be the best one of the series. I mean they have the ENTIRE video & audio of the Maple Leaf Gardens show. The question is will they invest the money to make them available to us on blu-ray and CD or are they going to ignore GUP and give us a rehash 50th Anniversary first album? So disappointed so far!

I’m really hoping that’s true too, but I still think it’s a stretch to make definitive statements that they HAVE the whole thing. Who the heck knows? And it was shot on cheaper video tape unlike ESL and ASOH, it may not be usable even if they have it. To me the MP box was the test of this whole question of any remaining footage from the 80s. It sure seems likely that if there was any extra we would have gotten additional ESL footage then. And if they don’t have any more usable ESL footage it seems more likely than not that would be the case for the other two as well. 

I really hope to be proven wrong, but 15 or 20 or more years ago on here I said we’d never see any more of those three shows for a number of reasons. I haven’t seen anything since to change my mind. What they didn’t use was likely scrapped and that’s that. The main reason I’m pessimistic is I collected about every significant VHS concert vid I could in the 80s and (yes, there are a few exceptions) almost NONE of them that have been reissued in the decades since have been expanded. And on the ones that have the quality of the footage usually doesn’t match. 

Maybe you’re right and I’m just trying not to set myself up for disappointment but I’ll believe it when I see it. I DO think that a full audio-only performance on a GUP box is realistic (if it happens at all).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

disappointed at *what*?!!?   be patient everyone

• Like 1

Have to admit that I laugh every time I read someone complain that something got pulled off of a streaming service or that the version on there isn't correct.

On 4/15/2024 at 8:56 PM, Rush Didact said:

There was someone over at the Steve Hoffman forum a while back who claimed he worked on the Beyond the Lighted Stage doc and saw the film cans for ESL in a warehouse, but I don't know how credible he was, and I've never seen any other information from anyone who would know, one way or the other.  Until solid information to the contrary emerges, I choose to believe the original negatives still exist...

They may exist but are they usable?

9 minutes ago, ytserush said:

They may exist but are they usable?

As long as they've been stored in halfway decent conditions (any ordinary warehouse would be fine) they should be okay.  1981 isn't all that old, in terms of film.  There might be some fading, but that's easily corrected.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 3:54 PM, Digital82 said:

disappointed at *what*?!!?   be patient everyone

I hope you're truly a connected Rush guy. It would be crushing to me if we didn't get this. Could you at least tell us when we should start hoping for an announcement?