_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

12 hours ago, grep said:

Oh hell no. get Double Agent out of this wilderness of mirrors and into the top 75. 

Completely agree. I know some people don't like the spoken verses, but I don't mind them because that secret agent riff and Neil's drum pattern for it are killer. I really like the whole song. This is my third favorite song on CP behind Animate and Leave That Thing Alone.

This is a criminally low ranking. THIS is the worst song from CP? Worse than Speed of Love? Really???

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Completely agree. I know some people don't like the spoken verses, but I don't mind them because that secret agent riff and Neil's drum pattern for it are killer. I really like the whole song. This is my third favorite song on CP behind Animate and Leave That Thing Alone.

This is a criminally low ranking. THIS is the worst song from CP? Worse than Speed of Love? Really???

Now this is an interesting case of different strokes for different folks.  I like Speed of Love lots more than Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone or Animate.  Did I just leave you shaking your head in disbelief???

• Like 1

CP overall is a really good record. I find it kind of hard to find a bad song on it.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Now this is an interesting case of different strokes for different folks.  I like Speed of Love lots more than Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone or Animate.  Did I just leave you shaking your head in disbelief???

Gran-Torino-headshake.gif

Actually, CP seems to be a polarizing album for us fans. I liked it right off the bat because they FINALLY ditched the thin-sounding instruments that plagued HYF thru RTB. I liked it when it first came out and still do. Others see it as another step removed from their prog years.

Nobody's Hero, Speed of Love and Everyday Glory are the only songs I skip on that album.

• Like 2

142. "Scars," Presto (1989)

Presto - Entry 6 out of 11

Wow, this song has a great bassline - and... it may not actually be bass at all? Definitely one of the few tracks from Presto that are actually kind of fun to listen to and don't come off as corny. It's a very fine song.

151. “Mr. Soul” - 4/8, FB
150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
149. “Superconductor” - 4/11, PR
148. “Carve Away The Stone” - 5/11, TFE
147. “Madrigal” - 1/6, AFTK
146. “I Think I’m Going Bald” - 1/5, COS
145. “Crossroads” - 5/8, FB
144. “Available Light” - 5/11, PR
143. “Double Agent” - 1/11, CP
142. “Scars” - 6/11, PR

Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

142. "Scars," Presto (1989)

Presto - Entry 6 out of 11

Wow, this song has a great bassline - and... it may not actually be bass at all? Definitely one of the few tracks from Presto that are actually kind of fun to listen to and don't come off as corny. It's a very fine song.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
142. “Scars” - 6/11, PR

Respectfully disagree with this one.  I would rank it much higher.  Scars is definitely a top 100 song for me.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Gran-Torino-headshake.gif

Actually, CP seems to be a polarizing album for us fans. I liked it right off the bat because they FINALLY ditched the thin-sounding instruments that plagued HYF thru RTB. I liked it when it first came out and still do. Others see it as another step removed from their prog years.

Nobody's Hero, Speed of Love and Everyday Glory are the only songs I skip on that album.

I like it a lot but it took me decades (yes, decades) before I got to like it.  When it came out I did not like it and I referred to it as Counterfarts.  Around 2010, all of a sudden, it and Presto both clicked with me at the same time.  Presto I had found to be ok but nothing wonderful.  Now I really like CP and I love Presto.  Ditching the thin sounding instruments was not a plus, either at its release or latter.  I liked them on HYF, somewhat on Presto (at the time or its release, now I like them on the album) and they were ok on RTB (although that album has not aged well).

I enjoy the 3 songs you mention.  Actually, I find that the album really starts with Nobody's Hero.  The first 2 songs on the album I still don't really care for. Everyday Glory may be my favorite on the album.

Hmmm, we clearly approach this album in different ways. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Respectfully disagree with this one.  I would rank it much higher.  Scars is definitely a top 100 song for me.  

You're a massive Presto fan, eh? Yikes... this list is not going to reflect yours very well....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I like it a lot but it took me decades (yes, decades) before I got to like it.  When it came out I did not like it and I referred to it as Counterfarts.  Around 2010, all of a sudden, it and Presto both clicked with me at the same time.  Presto I had found to be ok but nothing wonderful.  Now I really like CP and I love Presto.  Ditching the thin sounding instruments was not a plus, either at its release or latter.  I liked them on HYF, somewhat on Presto (at the time or its release, now I like them on the album) and they were ok on RTB (although that album has not aged well).

I enjoy the 3 songs you mention.  Actually, I find that the album really starts with Nobody's Hero.  The first 2 songs on the album I still don't really care for. Everyday Glory may be my favorite on the album.

Hmmm, we clearly approach this album in different ways. 

Yeah, you seem to gravitate towards songs that I don't like, and vice versa. :laugh: But that's what a band like Rush can do. Here's a real test:: Do you love Second Nature? Is it in your top-3 from HYF?

• Like 1

Just now, _hi_water._ said:

You're a massive Presto fan, eh? Yikes... this list is not going to reflect yours very well....

Yes, over the decades it has grown on me and I would rank it as my 5th favorite Rush album.  #1 would be 2112, #2 would be Power Windows, #3 is HYF, #4 is FBN, #5 is Presto, #6 would be AFTK.  After that hmmm.  Hard to say.  Very close between Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Hemispheres & S & A.  I know I rank S & A above Counterparts - slightly but its above it.  For me S & A was the best album this side of Presto.  Presto is the last Rush album that I never, ever skip a song on.   Interestingly, I rank Permanent Waves & MP down below those albums.  One of the things Rush excelled at was putting its albums together so that the albums flowed - one song pulled you into the next (if that makes sense - it does to me).  Great examples of this include Rivendell (which I actually like) and Madrigal.  Perhaps not killer songs, but they just fit perfectly on the albums and where they are placed on the albums.  They help pull you along through the albums.  Put them on another album, or even at a different place on that album, and they don't make the album work as well.  But where they are - they make the album work.  Some bands can't put albums together like this.  Rush can.  With Permanent Waves and MP they did not put there albums together as well.  Plus both alums have some songs I really dislike.  

For me Presto just fits together wonderfully well.  Every song is a top 100 but only 1 song (the title track) would make my top 20 Rush songs.  Its just that the album just fits together.  Its far greater than the sum of its parts.

Bu that ok - keep this thread coming.  Every night I watch The Young Turks on youtube and then switch to TRF and hope there is a new post in the thread.  Its sort a high point in my nigh  - no, I am not kidding. I am having a lot of fun comparing my song ranking with yours.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Yeah, you seem to gravitate towards songs that I don't like, and vice versa. :laugh: But that's what a band like Rush can do. Here's a real test:: Do you love Second Nature? Is it in your top-3 from HYF?

Good point about Rush and it also speaks to the depth of their work.

As for Second Nature, hmmm, I like it.  Top 100 song - as is basically all of HYF.  Top 3 on the album?  That hard!!  So many awesome songs that fit together so that the album is greater than then the sum of its parts.  Time Stand Still is clearly #1 on the album.  Its my 3rd favorite Rush song. I think #2 and #3 would be Under Lock & Key and Force 10.  After that - I would have to think about it.  So no, not a top 3 from that album but its a very enjoyable song.

Interestingly, the only HYF song that would be in my top 20 Rush songs is Time Stand Still.  But the album is my #3 favorite Rush album.  

Let me guess - you don't care for Second Nature?

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Good point about Rush and it also speaks to the depth of their work.

As for Second Nature, hmmm, I like it.  Top 100 song - as is basically all of HYF.  Top 3 on the album?  That hard!!  So many awesome songs that fit together so that the album is greater than then the sum of its parts.  Time Stand Still is clearly #1 on the album.  Its my 3rd favorite Rush song. I think #2 and #3 would be Under Lock & Key and Force 10.  After that - I would have to think about it.  So no, not a top 3 from that album but its a very enjoyable song.

Interestingly, the only HYF song that would be in my top 20 Rush songs is Time Stand Still.  But the album is my #3 favorite Rush album.  

Let me guess - you don't care for Second Nature?

I consider Second Nature a bottom-3 Rush song, along with Anagram and Half The World. :laugh:

• Like 2

Here's my list so far:

173. “Half The World” - 1/11 TFE

172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” - 1/11, PR

171. “Bravest Face” - 1/13, S&A

170. “Virtuality” - 2/11, TFE

169. “Dog Years” - 3/11, TFE

168. “Seven And Seven Is” - 1/8, FB

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

166. “Face Up” - 1/10, RTB

165. “Tai Shan” - 1/10, HYF

164. “Peaceable Kingdom” - 1/13, VT

163. “You Bet Your Life” - 2/10, RTB

162. “War Paint” - 2/11, PR

161. “For What It’s Worth” - 2/8, FB

160. “The Way The Wind Blows” - 2/13, S&A

159. “Neurotica” - 3/10, RTB

158. “Hand Over Fist” - 3/11, PR

157. “Spindrift” - 3/13, S&A

156. “Shapes Of Things” - 3/8, FB

155. “Out Of The Cradle” - 2/13, VT

154. “Rivendell” - 1/8, FBN

153. “Need Some Love” - 1/8, S/T

152. “The Color Of Right” - 4/11, TFE

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

142. “Scars” - 6/11, PR

141. "Roll the Bones," Roll the Bones (1991)

Roll the Bones - Entry 4 out of 10

The song would've cracked the top 100 for how interesting it is sonically and how cohesive it is to the album. However, that rap section where they rhyme "facts" with "gluteus max" has to be the most ill-advised moment in their careers. The rap was done by a skeleton!

141. “Roll The Bones” - 4/10, RTB

• Like 2

I ranked every Rush song for myself because of this thread. It's a project I never completed before because it changes as I write the songs down.

But I assume that what I ended with is a close approximation of what the list will remain.

So I'm going to compare your bottom 32 with my top songs and my bottom 32, just to see what happens. 
I excluded Feedback because I don't include it as a proper Rush album (although I'm glad they did it and I like it).

Spindrift, Neurotica, Peacable Kingdom, Out Of The Cradle, Tai Shan, Half the World, BU2B2, Bravest Face, Madrigal, and Need Some Love are the only songs you placed so low that I also placed low. 

You still haven't touched 8 of my bottom 10 songs, though. 
I'm still waiting for 5 debut album songs (6 made my bottom 10), as well as Second Nature and Tears. I know everyone loves Tears. I have never liked that song. And I really can't stand Stick It Out. 

Unlike most here I rank the songs off the debut very low. That album rocks, and the guys definitely show what they can do. But the songs could have been played by any typical talented rock band. Working Man fares well on my list, though. 

You placed a few really low that I like, but they aren't in my top 32.

The highest any song that you dropped low placed on my list was The Colour of Right.
It made 48th on my list, at least this time. 

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

The song would've cracked the top 100 for how interesting it is sonically and how cohesive it is to the album. However, that rap section where they rhyme "facts" with "gluteus max" has to be the most ill-advised moment in their careers. The rap was done by a skeleton!

Sometimes a good idea simply doesn't age well; tastes change, styles get stuck/attached and it becomes a fossil rather than something adaptable to all times, which is a hallmark of what makes great music great.

But sometimes an idea is just genuinely shitty, in its own time and thereafter, and that, ladies and gents, brings us to #141 on the list. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

My piss break song.  When i knew the setlist, the length of this one gave me just enough time to jump out, drop some liquid,  pick up a fresh beer and then get back to my seat in time for the next song.

I've got a photo somewhere from R40 at MSG of me in the mens room during the song....... Proof that what I say is true.  :)    Some of the refugees from CP may remember me posting that photo back then.,

Edited by grep
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mosher said:

I ranked every Rush song for myself because of this thread. It's a project I never completed before because it changes as I write the songs down.

But I assume that what I ended with is a close approximation of what the list will remain.

So I'm going to compare your bottom 32 with my top songs and my bottom 32, just to see what happens. 
I excluded Feedback because I don't include it as a proper Rush album (although I'm glad they did it and I like it).

Spindrift, Neurotica, Peacable Kingdom, Out Of The Cradle, Tai Shan, Half the World, BU2B2, Bravest Face, Madrigal, and Need Some Love are the only songs you placed so low that I also placed low. 

You still haven't touched 8 of my bottom 10 songs, though. 
I'm still waiting for 5 debut album songs (6 made my bottom 10), as well as Second Nature and Tears. I know everyone loves Tears. I have never liked that song. And I really can't stand Stick It Out. 

Unlike most here I rank the songs off the debut very low. That album rocks, and the guys definitely show what they can do. But the songs could have been played by any typical talented rock band. Working Man fares well on my list, though. 

You placed a few really low that I like, but they aren't in my top 32.

The highest any song that you dropped low placed on my list was The Colour of Right.
It made 48th on my list, at least this time. 

Great post!

Lemme guess, "Finding My Way" is the other debut song that frees itself from your bottom 10? 

"The Color of Right" is one song I really want to get into a lot more, but I wasn't 'feeling it' as much while making the list.

As far as spoilers go, "Tears" and "Stick It Out" are not gonna be seen for at least a little while...

As for you, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, I will never spoil "Second Nature"!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I consider Second Nature a bottom-3 Rush song, along with Anagram and Half The World. :laugh:

Thats interesting.  As you said, we have different taste.  I would consider Anagram to new a top 100 Rush song.  Half the World is tolerable IMO - not horrible.  Likely not top 100 however.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Might have this a little bit higher than you but its because of a number of songs that you have not ranked yet that I would rank low.  Very low.  So that sort of push's songs like this up a bit.  But basically I agree with you.  A tolerable song that has the unfortunate rap section.  Nothing very good over all.  Basically no argument over this ranking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

I'm not gonna lie, "Roll the Bones" might be one of the hardest songs for people to justify their "love" for.

Take the rap out and it's top 60.

Great lyrics and catchy music.   This should not be below Faithless.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

As for you, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, I will never spoil "Second Nature"!

The fact that Second Nature has somehow escaped the bottom-30, much less the bottom-3, well, there's not much you can do to spoil that song at this point. :tongue:

• Haha 1