_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

17 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

152. "The Color of Right," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 4 out of 11

Oop, and we are back at it with the Test for Echo album! Though this one isn't as heavy as "Dog Years" or "Virtuality", its lyrics are not actually that bad. In fact, this is one I really want to like a lot more than I do, with lyrics like "Make it easy on yourself/There's nothing more you can do/You're so full of what is right/You can't see what is true." I think that it may be the chorus holding this one back for me too, with "Gravity and distance/Change the passage of light/Gravity and distance/Change the color of right," which feels a bit cornball to me.

161. “For What It’s Worth” - 2/8, FB
160. “The Way The Wind Blows” - 2/13, S&A
159. “Neurotica” - 3/10, RTB
158. “Hand Over Fist” - 3/11, PR
157. “Spindrift” - 3/13, S&A
156. “Shapes Of Things” - 3/8, FB
155. “Out Of The Cradle” - 2/13, VT
154. “Rivendell” - 1/8, FBN
153. “Need Some Love” - 1/8, S/T
152. “The Color Of Right” - 4/11, TFE

I actually like this tune - one of my favourites from T4E. Wished they'd tried it live.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

151. "Mr. Soul," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 4 out of 8

Well, here is the other Buffalo Springfield cover on this forgettable EP. Yeah, these covers sound like the B-sides to Vapor Trails singles or something. This one only just sounds a lot more clear and defined than the previous one.

I promise you all that the list won't be all "safe" choices from here on out ;)

151. “Mr. Soul” - 4/8, FB

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but this and Summertime Blues are my two faves from this album. I like what Alex did with his guitar parts, especially that little nod to The Byrds. I'd have this ranked way higher.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but this and Summertime Blues are my two faves from this album. I like what Alex did with his guitar parts, especially that little nod to The Byrds. I'd have this ranked way higher.

I'm with you there.   It's a great rendition of the song.  One of the better ones from FB.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Here is my list so far! Hope you all are enjoying it :)

173. “Half The World” - 1/11 TFE
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” - 1/11, PR
171. “Bravest Face” - 1/13, S&A
170. “Virtuality” - 2/11, TFE
169. “Dog Years” - 3/11, TFE
168. “Seven And Seven Is” - 1/8, FB
167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA
166. “Face Up” - 1/10, RTB
165. “Tai Shan” - 1/10, HYF
164. “Peaceable Kingdom” - 1/13, VT
163. “You Bet Your Life” - 2/10, RTB
162. “War Paint” - 2/11, PR
161. “For What It’s Worth” - 2/8, FB
160. “The Way The Wind Blows” - 2/13, S&A
159. “Neurotica” - 3/10, RTB
158. “Hand Over Fist” - 3/11, PR
157. “Spindrift” - 3/13, S&A
156. “Shapes Of Things” - 3/8, FB
155. “Out Of The Cradle” - 2/13, VT
154. “Rivendell” - 1/8, FBN
153. “Need Some Love” - 1/8, S/T
152. “The Color Of Right” - 4/11, TFE

👍👍👍😎😎😎

• Like 1

150. "Hope," Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Snakes & Arrows - Entry 4 out of 13

A cute little Alex solo on a twelve-string that seems to only serve as an interlude for "Faithless." I feel like I could've snuck this one up with "Faithless," otherwise this track is just there.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

11 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

:yes:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

A cute little Alex solo on a twelve-string that seems to only serve as an interlude for "Faithless." I feel like I could've snuck this one up with "Faithless," otherwise this track is just there.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

:blink:

For me, the instrumentals are the best material on Snakes and Arrows 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

I wasn't sure you knew "Faithless" existed, given that it didn't take its rightful place in the bottom ten.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

I wasn't sure you knew "Faithless" existed, given that it didn't take its rightful place in the bottom ten.

You're going to be even more disappointed...

10 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

You're going to be even more disappointed...

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions (other than that the banal Half the World is one of the top 172 Rush songs.)

Your failure to recognize that the lyrics to Faithless are more turgid than the soporific, dirgelike music it's set to don't make it any less true.  :wink:

:biggrin:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions (other than that the banal Half the World is one of the top 172 Rush songs.)

Your failure to recognize that the lyrics to Faithless are more turgid than the soporific, dirgelike music it's set to don't make it any less true.  :wink:

:biggrin:

Neil's drumming is pretty good in that song. He went old-school Neil in that he treated each verse a little differently. But that alone does not save the song, so yeah, for me it's bottom four from S&A.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

Nope.

• Like 1

149. "Superconductor," Presto (1989)

Presto - Entry 4 out of 11

A song that deals with celebrity stardom - hey, was this something that has already been touched in "Grand Designs," and much better? This was one of the only few charting songs on here (and of the three singles). With its repetitive "superconductor" chorus, it really showcases how generic overall Presto is of an album to me.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
149. “Superconductor” - 4/11, PR

3 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

A song that deals with celebrity stardom - hey, was this something that has already been touched in "Grand Designs," and much better? This was one of the only few charting songs on here (and of the three singles). With its repetitive "superconductor" chorus, it really showcases how generic overall Presto is of an album to me.

Another post-synth era song that wants to be a rocker, but just comes across as corny. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

Way too low.  When performed live, when the boys cut off the mediocre Xanadu midsong and launched into the wondrous opening notes, it established its place in the rarefied air of the Rush firmament.

(Poor, overwrought prose intentional.)

• Haha 3

On 6/13/2023 at 11:29 PM, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

This one of the many songs on this album I enjoy.  For me its a top 100 song.  Have to respectfully differ with you on this one. 

Love this thread though.  Was away for a few days so just getting caught up on the last few days posts now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

Another song I would rank higher - in the top 100.  Presto was an album I did not care for when it came out and it took many, many years before it clicked with me.  Around 2010 it finally clicked with me and now I like everything on the album.

• Like 2

148. "Carve Away the Stone," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 5 out of 11

Another somewhat generic Test for Echo track that repeats the idea of "chip away the stone, roll away the stone" to come off as meaningful. It does serve as a great closer, though. However, let's not forget that bass and how Alex absolutely shreds on this one!

Next take might be a nuclear one!

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
148. “Carve Away The Stone” - 5/11, TFE

Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 1

For me I think more than once a day is kind of hard to keep up with.  Especially since I want to comment / rip on each choice.  :)

It's your thread though.  Whatever works for ya'.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grep said:

For me I think more than once a day is kind of hard to keep up with.  Especially since I want to comment / rip on each choice.  :)

It's your thread though.  Whatever works for ya'.

Agreed, once a day is great, it gives people more time to participate without having to do too much catching up if busy.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

148. "Carve Away the Stone," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 5 out of 11

Another somewhat generic Test for Echo track that repeats the idea of "chip away the stone, roll away the stone" to come off as meaningful. It does serve as a great closer, though. However, let's not forget that bass and how Alex absolutely shreds on this one!

Next take might be a nuclear one!

My opinion of Out Of The Cradle applies to this one as well.

https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/115204-_hi_water_-ranks-all-173-rush-songs/&do=findComment&comment=5102193

• Like 2