_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

10 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

155. "Out of the Cradle," Vapor Trails (2002)

Vapor Trails - Entry 2 out of 13

I feel kind of bad knocking this one low - it's a very powerful and emotional ending to Vapor Trails. Sadly, it's an alt-grunge track that doesn't really do much else for me.

161. “For What It’s Worth” - 2/8, FB
160. “The Way The Wind Blows” - 2/13, S&A
159. “Neurotica” - 3/10, RTB
158. “Hand Over Fist” - 3/11, PR
157. “Spindrift” - 3/13, S&A
156. “Shapes Of Things” - 3/8, FB
155. “Out Of The Cradle” - 2/13, VT

Way too low for me. Love the bass, in particular. This track puts me in a euphoric mood, for some reason!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

I feel kind of bad knocking this one low - it's a very powerful and emotional ending to Vapor Trails. Sadly, it's an alt-grunge track that doesn't really do much else for me.

While I agree with the others that this song is perhaps ranked too low -- it's certainly not a bad song -- I see it as yet another uptempo low-intensity happy-rocking album closer. The band was really into these starting with RTB's "You Bet Your Life" and continued all the way through S&A's "We Hold On."

You Bet Your Life

Everyday Glory

Carve Away The Stone

Out Of The Cradle

We Hold On

These tunes are not bad but they're kind of innocuous. For me, Out Of The Cradle is the best of these.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

I have no problem with this ranking.  In fact, I would rank it lower.  Its one of the many songs on VT that leave with me with a spitting headache.  I think you rank it to high actually.

Awesome thread - looking forward to more.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 8:01 PM, _hi_water._ said:

156. "Shapes of Things," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 3 out of 8

Alright, so maybe I shouldn't have included Feedback on this list, but it is a real studio album released by Rush, despite being an EP. Again, this one is more interesting than the previous two I've went over - but the other thing is, there are two Yardbirds covers on this album (and we will get to the better one eventually!). This is one of the few tracks that really just sounds like bar band Rush - not bad at all, but there's more to be found on the horizon, y'know?

Do you agree with this placement? What are your least favorite covers from Feedback?

Should be much higher, plenty of detritus to wade through before anything tuneful is included.

• Like 1

154. "Rivendell," Fly By Night (1975)

Fly By Night - Entry 1 out of 8

...And here we go. Like Zeppelin in the 70's, Rush were creaming themselves over hobbits and Tolkien. It serves as an excellent album track, but on its own, it's just okay. They really could've done something more interesting with this one, as this is not the brightest way to be sentimental.

154. “Rivendell” - 1/8, FBN

On 6/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, _hi_water._ said:

...And here we go. Like Zeppelin in the 70's, Rush were creaming themselves over hobbits and Tolkien. It serves as an excellent album track, but on its own, it's just okay. They really could've done something more interesting with this one, as this is not the brightest way to be sentimental.

I 100% agree thats its an excellent album track.  It just fits perfectly with the album and where it is on the album.  On another album it just would not work as well.  So yes, on its own its ok.  Or more than just ok.  But not special.  So I would have it much higher than you have it.  It might crack the top 100  - barely.

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

I've heard this song only once in my life. Once. Meaning, I've listened to FBN all the way through only once. I know what kind of song it is but I couldn't hum a single bar. Ergo, I find this ranking acceptable.

Why only "acceptable?" Because even though I've had only one listen, I can say with 100% confidence that it's a better song than "Second Nature" which has yet to appear on this list for some ungodly reason. :smile:

• Like 1

153. "Need Some Love," Rush (1974)

Rush (Self-titled) - Entry 1 out of 8

One early Rush album I think you may have expected to see get slammed a bit on this list was the "we're almost there" album - though I wouldn't know if slamming is the correct word, because I like all songs on here. I strongly feel the weakest link on here is "Need Some Love," which is - let's all face it, way too similar to Zeppelin. A fun little song that gets you pumped up for what is ahead of the album, though it does clock under two and a half minutes - there isn't really anything standing out for this one, and it's the one track from this album I never really think about after listening to the album. Once again, good tune - nothing significant.

153. “Need Some Love” - 1/8, S/T

152. "The Color of Right," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 4 out of 11

Oop, and we are back at it with the Test for Echo album! Though this one isn't as heavy as "Dog Years" or "Virtuality", its lyrics are not actually that bad. In fact, this is one I really want to like a lot more than I do, with lyrics like "Make it easy on yourself/There's nothing more you can do/You're so full of what is right/You can't see what is true." I think that it may be the chorus holding this one back for me too, with "Gravity and distance/Change the passage of light/Gravity and distance/Change the color of right," which feels a bit cornball to me.

152. “The Color Of Right” - 4/11, TFE

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Oop, and we are back at it with the Test for Echo album! Though this one isn't as heavy as "Dog Years" or "Virtuality", its lyrics are not actually that bad. In fact, this is one I really want to like a lot more than I do, with lyrics like "Make it easy on yourself/There's nothing more you can do/You're so full of what is right/You can't see what is true." I think that it may be the chorus holding this one back for me too, with "Gravity and distance/Change the passage of light/Gravity and distance/Change the color of right," which feels a bit cornball to me.

Boooooooring.   The song not the placement.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

I actually like this song a lot, though I know that's opening up myself for ridicule.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I've heard this song only once in my life. Once. Meaning, I've listened to FBN all the way through only once. 

Wow really ? 🙃 I’m kinda shocked !😜

Out of a Sense of Duty and Respect, in order to the show your appreciation for the greatest Rock Band of all time you are hereby sentenced to instantly repent for thy sins and to henceforth listen to FBN all the way through 4 times a day for the next 3 weeks.
Thereafter,  Rivendell must be played 5 times daily for the next 2112 days

🤣🤣🤣

:rush: :rush: :rush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I've heard Rivendell only once in my life. Once. Meaning, I've listened to FBN all the way through only once. I know what kind of song it is but I couldn't hum a single bar. Ergo, I find this ranking acceptable.

Why only "acceptable?" Because even though I've had only one listen, I can say with 100% confidence that it's a better song than "Second Nature" which has yet to appear on this list for some ungodly reason. :smile:

2 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Wow really ? 🙃 I’m kinda shocked !😜

Out of a Sense of Duty and Respect, in order to the show your appreciation for the greatest Rock Band of all time you are hereby sentenced to instantly repent for thy sins and to henceforth listen to FBN all the way through 4 times a day for the next 3 weeks.
Thereafter,  Rivendell must be played 5 times daily for the next 2112 days

🤣🤣🤣

:rush: :rush: :rush:

Hmmm.......

The-Office-nooooo.gif

• Haha 2

Just now, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Yep, it's a skipper.

And more bloated than Alan Hale.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

anchorman-we-are-laughing.gif

I do wish he would have taken the stupid elven references out of it...

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

153. "Need Some Love," Rush (1974)

Rush (Self-titled) - Entry 1 out of 8

One early Rush album I think you may have expected to see get slammed a bit on this list was the "we're almost there" album - though I wouldn't know if slamming is the correct word, because I like all songs on here. I strongly feel the weakest link on here is "Need Some Love," which is - let's all face it, way too similar to Zeppelin. A fun little song that gets you pumped up for what is ahead of the album, though it does clock under two and a half minutes - there isn't really anything standing out for this one, and it's the one track from this album I never really think about after listening to the album. Once again, good tune - nothing significant.

I would basically agree with you on this one.  Other than Working Man (which I would rank at #11 amount Rush's songs) I don't think much of their first album.  The album is greater than the sum of its parts though.  One thing I have always admired about Rush was that they excelled at putting their albums together.  Even if the individual songs on an album may not be have been among their elite work they always constructed their albums in such a way that the albums just flowed, one song into another.  You sort of made my point when placing Rivendell - you thought that it was not a very good song but it was an excellent album track.  I agree that its an excellent album track - placed on another album or even in a different place on FBN it might not work as well as it does.  Placed where it is it works well.  Of course I like it a fair amount but thats not really relevant to "Need Some Love"...

What is relevant is that Rush's 1st album is a prime example of their genius at putting albums together.  For me the individual song (other that Working Man) are not very good.  But the album works very well.  Not great - the underlying work is not all that special to my ears & none of the songs  (other than Working Man) would rank in the top 100 for me.  But decent - yes.  This song is a prime example of what I am talking about.  Not very good.  But it fits into the album well.  So basically, I agree (more or less) with you.  Esp. after adjusting my list to reflect that VT would basically occupy the bottom of the list.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Basically agree - nothing very special about this song.  Its tolerable but thats about it.  Keep this coming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I actually like this song a lot, though I know that's opening up myself for ridicule.

Not from me - its a top 100 Rush song for me (although barely in the top 100).  Still, for a Rush song to be in their top 100 means its a good song.

• Like 2

Here is my list so far! Hope you all are enjoying it :)

173. “Half The World” - 1/11 TFE
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” - 1/11, PR
171. “Bravest Face” - 1/13, S&A
170. “Virtuality” - 2/11, TFE
169. “Dog Years” - 3/11, TFE
168. “Seven And Seven Is” - 1/8, FB
167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA
166. “Face Up” - 1/10, RTB
165. “Tai Shan” - 1/10, HYF
164. “Peaceable Kingdom” - 1/13, VT
163. “You Bet Your Life” - 2/10, RTB
162. “War Paint” - 2/11, PR

• Like 2

151. "Mr. Soul," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 4 out of 8

Well, here is the other Buffalo Springfield cover on this forgettable EP. Yeah, these covers sound like the B-sides to Vapor Trails singles or something. This one only just sounds a lot more clear and defined than the previous one.

I promise you all that the list won't be all "safe" choices from here on out ;)

151. “Mr. Soul” - 4/8, FB