_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

On 5/28/2023 at 7:15 PM, _hi_water._ said:

163. "You Bet Your Life," Roll the Bones (1991)

Roll the Bones - Entry 2 out of 10

Serves as a fine closer to Roll the Bones. Not sure if I really like the vocal choices that much.

What's your take on this one?

173. “Half The World” - 1/11 TFE
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” - 1/11, PR
171. “Bravest Face” - 1/13, S&A
170. “Virtuality” - 2/11, TFE
169. “Dog Years” - 3/11, TFE
168. “Seven And Seven Is” - 1/8, FB
167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA
166. “Face Up” - 1/10, RTB
165. “Tai Shan” - 1/10, HYF
164. “Peaceable Kingdom” - 1/13, VT
163. “You Bet Your Life” - 2/10, RTB

🤔 I’d have personally have this track a little bit higher up my own rankings, about number 130

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 12:46 AM, _hi_water._ said:

Here is my list so far!

173. “Half The World” - 1/11 TFE

172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” - 1/11, PR

171. “Bravest Face” - 1/13, S&A

170. “Virtuality” - 2/11, TFE

169. “Dog Years” - 3/11, TFE

168. “Seven And Seven Is” - 1/8, FB

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

166. “Face Up” - 1/10, RTB

165. “Tai Shan” - 1/10, HYF

164. “Peaceable Kingdom” - 1/13, VT

163. “You Bet Your Life” - 2/10, RTB

162. “War Paint” - 2/11, PR

What do you guys think - should I post daily, spread my posts out more, or am I going at the right pace...?

Daily please Hi_Water 👍🙂

• Like 1

For any of these Rush song position placings, with them, I wasn't going to say anything because I've disagreed.  I know we have different likes, dislikes, perspectives, and opinions to their studio released c.ds, and albums including song selections, and I've said about liking everything they've released.  For the life of me on here, all the negative reaction to what "Test For Echo" was getting, and I can include "Presto" in the conversation.  "Test For Echo" got a lot, and mostly positive reactions in any types of music reviews.  The songs I disagree are the worst song is "Half the World", "Virtuality", "Anagram (For Mongo)", "War Paint" "Bravest Face", "the Way the Wind Blows", "Peaceable Kingdom", "BU2B2", and for their "Feedback" cover's c.d., and album, I wouldn't include any of the eight songs because they aren't their own written ones. 

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

160. "The Way the Wind Blows," Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Snakes & Arrows - Entry 2 out of 13

...And my least favorite 6+ minute Rush song goes to "The Way the Wind Blows." Not bad by any means, but its welcome wanes out upon listening. The main riff is not impressive to me, and the chorus just drags on. I get that the boys wanted to go for a mostly mid-tempo album, but yeeeesh they seriously could've trimmed out a few tracks from this one - it's 62 minutes long!

Did I slam one of your favorites from Snakes & Arrows, or do you not care for this one either? Do think this album is perfect length, or could've it used the trim?

161. “For What It’s Worth” - 2/8, FB
160. “The Way The Wind Blows” - 2/13, S&A

I agreed with the ranking for Bravest Face (171), but TWTWB is the second-worst song from S&A? Worse than Good News First, The Larger Bowl and We Hold On? (I'm even tempted to add Faithless and Spindrift to those , but only tempted.)

• Like 1

159. "Neurotica," Roll the Bones (1991)

Roll the Bones - Entry 3 out of 10

This is definitely one of the stronger tracks from Roll the Bones instrumentally - there's a great riff and an excellent solo from Alex. Like the other two songs I have dismissed previously from this album, the lyrics really hold this one back. "It's just neurotica, exotica/It's just erotica, hypnotica". Definitely one of the bottom-listing Rush choruses for me.

What's your verdict on this one?

159. “Neurotica” - 3/10, RTB

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 6:26 PM, _hi_water._ said:

160. "The Way the Wind Blows," Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Snakes & Arrows - Entry 2 out of 13

...And my least favorite 6+ minute Rush song goes to "The Way the Wind Blows." Not bad by any means, but its welcome wanes out upon listening. The main riff is not impressive to me, and the chorus just drags on. I get that the boys wanted to go for a mostly mid-tempo album, but yeeeesh they seriously could've trimmed out a few tracks from this one - it's 62 minutes long!

Did I slam one of your favorites from Snakes & Arrows, or do you not care for this one either? Do think this album is perfect length, or could've it used the trim?

Yep, this one sucks.  TBH, Far Cry and the instrumentals would have been enough with this effort.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

This is definitely one of the stronger tracks from Roll the Bones instrumentally - there's a great riff and an excellent solo from Alex. Like the other two songs I have dismissed previously from this album, the lyrics really hold this one back. "It's just neurotica, exotica/It's just erotica, hypnotica". Definitely one of the bottom-listing Rush choruses for me.

Yes - I would basically agree with you on this one.  Might be a bit higher only because their are some other Rush songs you have not mentioned yet that I would rank lower but yeah, not one of their better songs.  Not at all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Yep, pretty much. Neil started getting into "gimmicky" lyrics in the post-MP era, possibly starting with The Big Money.  Phrases, alliteration, word games, etc., annoyingly repeated throughout the song. Maybe he thought just being clever with words would make for good song lyrics, but more often than not those songs fell flat. This is one of those songs, even though the "neurotica- exotica-hypnotica" stuff is limited to the choruses. (Big Money is one of the few good ones, IMO)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Yeah, this is spot on. IMO.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 9:47 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I agreed with the ranking for Bravest Face (171), but TWTWB is the second-worst song from S&A? Worse than Good News First, The Larger Bowl and We Hold On? (I'm even tempted to add Faithless and Spindrift to those , but only tempted.)

I like both We Hold On & Spindrift 😮🙃😉

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I like both We Hold On & Spindrift 😮🙃😉

How dare you!!!

We still haven't seen Second Nature on this list, which is a crime against all humanity and probably dolphins and whales too.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

How dare you!!!

We still haven't seen Second Nature on this list, which is a crime against all humanity and probably dolphins and whales too.

Yep personally my Top 10 ‘ Worst ‘ Rush 

tracks would be a mix exclusively from my least 3 preferred albums, namely

HYF, Presto & the self-titled Non Neil debut. 

• Like 2

158. "Hand Over Fist," Presto (1989)

Presto - Entry 3 out of 11

Rock, paper, scissors - shoot, I almost forgot this song existed, it almost disappeared into the crowd! Nah, this song is okay. The music itself is a bit fun actually. It's just that the lyrics, well, cut it this way -

Do you see where I am about to go with this?

...And as always, where do you stand with this one? Is it nothing so much, or is it the strength of the common touch?

158. “Hand Over Fist” - 3/11, PR

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Rock, paper, scissors - shoot, I almost forgot this song existed, it almost disappeared into the crowd! Nah, this song is okay. The music itself is a bit fun actually. It's just that the lyrics, well, cut it this way -

...And as always, where do you stand with this one? Is it nothing so much, or is it the strength of the common touch?

Yup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Much higher for me - almost certainly in the top 100.

• Like 2

157. "Spindrift," Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Snakes & Arrows - Entry 3 out of 13

For me, "Spindrift" has one of the best riffs throughout Snakes & Arrows. However, the song doesn't end up being as cohesive, and the potentially great lyrics end up sounding forced.

What are your thoughts on this one?

157. “Spindrift” - 3/13, S&A

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Much higher for me - almost certainly in the top 100.

I really like the sentiment of Hand Over Fist, and the album art it inspired

• Like 3

1 hour ago, _hi_water._ said:

For me, "Spindrift" has one of the best riffs throughout Snakes & Arrows. However, the song doesn't end up being as cohesive, and the potentially great lyrics end up sounding forced.

I find Geddy's vocals on this one very grating

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _hi_water._ said:

20 minutes ago, goose said:

I find Geddy's vocals on this one very grating

This is a song I really want to like. There is a dissonant heaviness in the verses that works, but the vocals and the ever-present S&A "ooooh oooooohs" seem to clash with that heaviness. The pieces don't quite fit together. This is one where I wish Nick would have tried to push the boys to do a little rearranging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

It didn't really work live either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

For me it's better than 157 but nothing really special.  Very rough guess?  I would put it about 125.

• Like 3

156. "Shapes of Things," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 3 out of 8

Alright, so maybe I shouldn't have included Feedback on this list, but it is a real studio album released by Rush, despite being an EP. Again, this one is more interesting than the previous two I've went over - but the other thing is, there are two Yardbirds covers on this album (and we will get to the better one eventually!). This is one of the few tracks that really just sounds like bar band Rush - not bad at all, but there's more to be found on the horizon, y'know?

Do you agree with this placement? What are your least favorite covers from Feedback?

156. “Shapes Of Things” - 3/8, FB

155. "Out of the Cradle," Vapor Trails (2002)

Vapor Trails - Entry 2 out of 13

I feel kind of bad knocking this one low - it's a very powerful and emotional ending to Vapor Trails. Sadly, it's an alt-grunge track that doesn't really do much else for me.

156. “Shapes Of Things” - 3/8, FB
155. “Out Of The Cradle” - 2/13, VT

I think Out of the Cradle should be higher in the rankings.  I kind of like the song.... but that's just me.

• Like 1