_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

23 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Agreed, once a day is great, it gives people more time to participate without having to do too much catching up if busy.

I also agree - once a day is great.

Gives me something to look forward to without getting buried in a bunch of posts.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2023 at 3:55 PM, _hi_water._ said:

148. "Carve Away the Stone," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 5 out of 11

Another somewhat generic Test for Echo track that repeats the idea of "chip away the stone, roll away the stone" to come off as meaningful. It does serve as a great closer, though. However, let's not forget that bass and how Alex absolutely shreds on this one!

Next take might be a nuclear one!

151. “Mr. Soul” - 4/8, FB
150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
149. “Superconductor” - 4/11, PR
148. “Carve Away The Stone” - 5/11, TFE

For me this is one of the better songs on this album.  Not as good as Resist but still decent.  I would rank it a bit higher but likely not in the top 100.  Decent song on an album that was ok at best (by Rush's high standards it was a weak album)

• Like 2

147. "Madrigal," A Farewell to Kings (1977)

A Farewell to Kings - Entry 1 out of 6

I feel some heat coming my way. Welcome to the "worst" song from the best period of Rush, which is in my opinion 1976-1981. This is yet another dopey ballad from the earlier periods of Rush, another which makes the Side B of an album rough around the edges. It is shorter than "Rivendell," and there is a lot more going on - still, there is nothing very significant to write about this one when it exists on an album with "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1"; they're lucky to have "Closer to the Heart" on the same album.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

147. “Madrigal” - 1/6, AFTK

• Like 1

Madrigal should have been down at the very bottom along with Tai-Shan IMO.   

When i used to rip AF2K to cassette, this was the song I skipped. Kind of painful to listen to. 

I can't wait till' we get to the good songs. :)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, grep said:

Madrigal should have been down at the very bottom along with Tai-Shan IMO.   

When i used to rip AF2K to cassette, this was the song I skipped. Kind of painful to listen to. 

I can't wait till' we get to the good songs. :)

Agree. This is another song I've heard only a couple of times, maybe one more time than Rivendell. Bottom 10 for sure.

• Like 3

146. "I Think I'm Going Bald," Caress of Steel (1975)

Caress of Steel - Entry 1 out of 5

Debatably the most "frustrating" song. For positives, there is no doubt that this song has a great riff. The last minute or so contains some of the best Lifeson soloing throughout the entire discography. But holy shit man, this was on a 5-track album, placed right after "Bastille Day," a song celebrating the French Revolution - now we are talking about losing your goddamn hair! The lyrics don't even help the placement that much either - "I walk down vanity fair/Memory lane everywhere/Wall Street shuffles there/Dressed in flowing hair." Ooooooof!

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
146. “I Think I’m Going Bald” - 1/5, COS

• Like 2

22 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

147. "Madrigal," A Farewell to Kings (1977)

A Farewell to Kings - Entry 1 out of 6

I feel some heat coming my way. Welcome to the "worst" song from the best period of Rush, which is in my opinion 1976-1981. This is yet another dopey ballad from the earlier periods of Rush, another which makes the Side B of an album rough around the edges. It is shorter than "Rivendell," and there is a lot more going on - still, there is nothing very significant to write about this one when it exists on an album with "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1"; they're lucky to have "Closer to the Heart" on the same album.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

Not major heat from me.  Its a decent song but nothing I am wild about.  You have a number of songs ranked lower than it that I would rank above it and you clearly have some that are going to be ranked above it that I would rank lower than it but I don't have a huge problem with the overall ranking.  It might be a bit higher for me but thats only because of the songs I would put below it.  Basically I generally agree with you on this ranking.  Note: I do know somebody who considers this to be her favorite Rush song - and she has been a Rush fan since her older brother took her, when she was 10 years old, to see Rush on the 2112 tour (lucky girl).  To each their own I guess.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

Debatably the most "frustrating" song. For positives, there is no doubt that this song has a great riff. The last minute or so contains some of the best Lifeson soloing throughout the entire discography. But holy shit man, this was on a 5-track album, placed right after "Bastille Day," a song celebrating the French Revolution - now we are talking about losing your goddamn hair! The lyrics don't even help the placement that much either - "I walk down vanity fair/Memory lane everywhere/Wall Street shuffles there/Dressed in flowing hair." Ooooooof!

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

Basically agree with this ranking as well.  Another ok song but again, nothing I am wild about.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

Terrible song; ranked way too high here. Should be in the bottom ten-twelve! Now that it's out of the way, though, on with the list.

• Like 2

145. "Crossroads," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 5 out of 8

Don't mind me, just crossing out another song from Feedback. It's a decent cover for sure, and much more memorable than half of the covers that are on this EP. I would say this might be one of the more disappointing Lifeson riffs, and this track does much better live.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

145. “Crossroads” - 5/8, FB

I pretty much agree with the ranking of Bald.  But I will say that the recently discovered live version does give it a new shine.

Also agree with Crossroads.  That version sounds like a few millionaires got into the studio and recorded a cover.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

145. "Crossroads," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 5 out of 8

this track does much better live.

Yes, this bit. I'd have this one ranked higher because I loved the way the live version had more breath, more anima, but I get that covers have a built-in demerit. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grep said:

I pretty much agree with the ranking of Bald.  But I will say that the recently discovered live version does give it a new shine.

Also agree with Crossroads.  That version sounds like a few millionaires got into the studio and recorded a cover.

If this is a bald/polish/reflection joke, well done sir. Otherwise, it's polishing a turd -- and I'm a fan of live versions! See my thought on "Crossroads," above.

• Like 1

144. "Available Light," Presto (1989)

Presto - Entry 5 out of 11

A very good and uplifting closer to Presto that doesn't really get swallowed in by the album's tinny production. This is even a rare instance where Geddy sings in falsetto - and it works very well! However, the song's structure is sort of weak, since it takes a while before anything really happens.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

144. “Available Light” - 5/11, PR

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

A very good and uplifting closer to Presto that doesn't really get swallowed in by the album's tinny production. This is even a rare instance where Geddy sings in falsetto - and it works very well! However, the song's structure is sort of weak, since it takes a while before anything really happens.

Another blah album closer for me. This isn't the "uptempo/low-intensity happy rocker" that closed out RTB thru S&A, but it's still blah. There's not enough warmth in the production to effectively convey the uplifting message, and the piano verses give me that Second Nature vibe that makes me think it's a Celine Dion song as opposed to Rush. This song is pure CD filler and I'd have ranked it lower.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A

I've always quite liked this one. Top 100 for me.

• Like 5

On 6/17/2023 at 9:08 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Agree. This is another song I've heard only a couple of times, maybe one more time than Rivendell. Bottom 10 for sure.

When it comes to Madrigal, any ranking above 173 strikes me as being generous. :tongue:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Another blah album closer for me. This isn't the "uptempo/low-intensity happy rocker" that closed out RTB thru S&A, but it's still blah. There's not enough warmth in the production to effectively convey the uplifting message, and the piano verses give me that Second Nature vibe that makes me think it's a Celine Dion song as opposed to Rush. This song is pure CD filler and I'd have ranked it lower.

:blink:

Some of Geddy's best vocals and Neil's most poetic lyrics.  Great drums and guitar as well

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 6:32 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Terrible song; ranked way too high here. Should be in the bottom ten-twelve! Now that it's out of the way, though, on with the list.

I like the main riff, which for me is an improvement on the similar one from  In The Mood.  And I like the sentiment.

+1 for that intro growl as well

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

51 minutes ago, goose said:

:blink:

Some of Geddy's best vocals and Neil's most poetic lyrics.  Great drums and guitar as well

Don't get me wrong, there is potential there. The choruses are pretty good and Alex's solo is very good. And I do like the lyrics. But one problem for me with this song is in the execution. It's a Presto song, so right off the bat the production is going to bring it down and make it sound lifeless. The only three songs on this album that work for me sound-wise are Show Don't Tell, The Pass and Presto. For me, Available Light suffers greatly.

The other problem, and for me it's the big one, is the verses. I don't like the easy listening feel and I don't like the piano, not only the fact that it's piano but also how it sounds -- digital. I just doesn't work for me in a Rush song, no matter what the lyrics are saying.

And that brings me to this -- song rankings like this are of course subjective, but some people will maybe not love the music in a song but will overlook it if the lyrics really speak to them, and others will deal with lyrics that are blah if the music moves them. I'm almost always in the latter group. When I get a new album I don't even think about the lyrics until I've absorbed the music. The only time lyrics stick out to me right away is if they're noticeably bad (like, say, Dog Years). Neil's lyrics are good here, but for me they're not enough to save this one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I've always quite liked this one. Top 100 for me.

I agree :yes:

This is one of the few tracks off Presto I quite like. 

• Like 4

143. "Double Agent," Counterparts (1993)

Counterparts - Entry 1 out of 11

There are no "filler" or "throwaway" tracks from Counterparts, but this one is the closest fitting that. This is the only track on the album that feels gimmicky and doesn't work in comparison to some of the others used throughout the album; the "wound up so tiiiiiight" parts are easily my least favorite throughout the album. It has got a great intro though, and the song is pretty damn heavy.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
143. “Double Agent” - 1/11, CP

45 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

143. "Double Agent," Counterparts (1993)

Counterparts - Entry 1 out of 11

There are no "filler" or "throwaway" tracks from Counterparts, but this one is the closest fitting that. This is the only track on the album that feels gimmicky and doesn't work in comparison to some of the others used throughout the album; the "wound up so tiiiiiight" parts are easily my least favorite throughout the album. It has got a great intro though, and the song is pretty damn heavy.

150. “Hope” - 4/13, S&A
143. “Double Agent” - 1/11, CP

Think I would basically agree with you on this one.  Its one of the weaker songs on Counterparts.

• Like 1