The Official 2023 NFL season thread

laughedatbytime

4 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Except Campbell is not the typical NFL coach. He doesn't do analytics, so it seems.

Teams have been doing this for many years.  At home, you go for the tie.  If you’re the visitor, you go for the win (because you will lose in OT).  It’s an obsolete mindset, IMO.  

• Like 1

For their 17th game in 2024, the Packers host an AFC East team.  They will play the team that finishes in the same place as they do.

The Jets will most probably finish 3rd in the AFC East.  

If the Packers finish 3rd in the NFC North, they will host the Jets next year.

This must not happen.      :no:

• Like 1

I like Campbell and I think he needs to be coach of the year, especially considering the turnaround since mid season last year. I think they're 2nd in wins since last November. That's alot coming from a dogshit team they were before.

Campbell and the Lions need to a) be more selective in their 'gambles' and b) need to realize that 2 or 3 plays will make or break you in a close playoff type game. Barnes whiffing on a sack safety and then the 'boys score a long one. That's a 9 point turnaround in one play. Detroit's Oline sucking on assignments in the first half...way too many missed blocks. Campbells going for it on the 4 yard line when they went backwards from the 2 in 2 plays. Take the 3 points and regroup....and that 3 points would have won the game. That's 12 points they gave up on mistakes which makes the 2 pointer mute. 

At least they know they can play with the Cowboys and hopefully this fuels the fire. At this point, the playoff matchup is Stafford vs Goff in Detroit. I'll take that since Stafford is not mobile and mobile QBs gives the Lions fits.

At then of the above article, a possible explanation:

"...maybe the confusion came out of sheer gamesmanship. In what was clearly an effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions had both Decker and Skipper approach Allen, likely with the hope that someone on the Dallas defense wasn’t playing close attention and might miss which of the two players was actually eligible. But in the effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions instead confused Allen, who could have heard Decker report as eligible but mistakenly believe it was Skipper."

• Like 1

This year has made me believe thar everything needs to be reviewable.  Cardinals receiver just pulled the defender into by the collar to feign interference, and of course he got the call.

22 minutes ago, goose said:

Miami getting a taste of the other side of a blowout

11 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

And how.

Is this a case of Miami not giving a fook because they're a divisional playoff lock?

• Like 1

I wager $20.00 RFD (Rush Forum Dollars) that the Bengals-Chiefs game will be marred by yet another controversial call in the last two minutes.

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

I am convinced that no professional sports organization-including FIFA and the EPL-has worse officiating than the NFL.

I assumed that once Ed Hochuli and Jeff Triplette retired, the officiating would get much better.  WRONG!!   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

I assumed that once Ed Hochuli and Jeff Triplette retired, the officiating would get much better.  WRONG!!   

Unfortunately Ed's "financial consultant" son Shawn has taken up the mantle.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

Unfortunately Ed's "financial consultant" son Shawn has taken up the mantle.

I believe Angel Hernandez is considering moving to football as it seems a better fit

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, goose said:

Miami getting a taste of the other side of a blowout

hard to bet against baltimore winning the whole thing...as long as jackson stays healthy and under control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pjbear05 said:

I am convinced that no professional sports organization-including FIFA and the EPL-has worse officiating than the NFL.

i dunno....when you have talks of baseball using robo strike zones then you have to ask...why have umpires at all?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goose said:

At then of the above article, a possible explanation:

"...maybe the confusion came out of sheer gamesmanship. In what was clearly an effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions had both Decker and Skipper approach Allen, likely with the hope that someone on the Dallas defense wasn’t playing close attention and might miss which of the two players was actually eligible. But in the effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions instead confused Allen, who could have heard Decker report as eligible but mistakenly believe it was Skipper."

gotta have better way of doing this...like having a brightly colored white board on the sideline with the players number that's eligible written on it. or a red sticker placed on the eligible jersey. 

detroit's offense tends to out-cute itself. they have plenty of talent not to rely on bullshit trick plays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HemiBeers said:

i dunno....when you have talks of baseball using robo strike zones then you have to ask...why have umpires at all?

Even without robots, lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HemiBeers said:

gotta have better way of doing this...like having a brightly colored white board on the sideline with the players number that's eligible written on it. or a red sticker placed on the eligible jersey. 

detroit's offense tends to out-cute itself. they have plenty of talent not to rely on bullshit trick plays.

That's KC as well. You're good. Just play football.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HemiBeers said:

so is travis kelce's 'two things at once' commerical hinting at a threesome with taylor? perverted minds like mine want to know. 

He's in every other commercial.  You gotta wonder how hard you'd block for a guy like that.

• Like 1

allen's crew downgraded from playoffs. oh ok nfl...you're admitting they f***ed up. that's nice of you but a little f***ing late don't ya think?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2023/12/31/report-referees-from-detroit-lions-dallas-cowboys-game-will-not-work-postseason-playoffs/72073779007/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1