The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

1 hour ago, Chicken hawk said:

Two good teams !    Possibly one more game.     Tonight.

40 minutes ago, liquidcrystalcompass said:

I hope tonight is the last one.

In a perfect world we'd get to see the Rangers -- should they win this thing -- do it on their home field in front of their fans who have been waiting since 1961to see them win their first Series, but they gotta take care of business tonight. Besides, having a perfect postseason road record, especially with the wild card round added in, would be a nice accomplishment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

In a perfect world we'd get to see the Rangers -- should they win this thing -- do it on their home field in front of their fans who have been waiting since 1961 to see them win their first Series, ....

...with Garcia hitting a walkoff homer.  

1 hour ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

In a perfect world we'd get to see the Rangers -- should they win this thing -- do it on their home field in front of their fans who have been waiting since 1961to see them win their first Series, but they gotta take care of business tonight. Besides, having a perfect postseason road record, especially with the wild card round added in, would be a nice accomplishment.

17 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

...with Garcia hitting a walkoff homer.  

I don't think we'll be seeing Garcia for the rest of the playoffs due to his oblique injury from game 3. He's been taken off the roster. The good news is his replacement, Jankowski, had a good game last night, and Semien is also starting to hit again, and that makes Garcia's absence easier to deal with.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I don't think we'll be seeing Garcia for the rest of the playoffs due to his oblique injury from game 3. He's been taken off the roster. The good news is his replacement, Jankowski, had a good game last night, and Semien is also starting to hit again, and that makes Garcia's absence easier to deal with.

I saw that he was dropped from the team roster.  He was all set up to have a fairy tale year, ending with a huge bang.  What a shame.  

• Like 1

A painful way to lose the Series.  Horrible error in center, then a huge bomb homer.  

Thomas will be blaming himself for a while….

• Like 1

I just can't really believe it. My dad took me to a Rangers game the first year they moved here. I've been a fan since, but it's been tough. I think the thing that is most satisfying about this championship is that they did it the way they have always played, with slugging. But they added enough defense and pitching to make it happen. I can't tell you how much I love this team. :clap:

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Weakly Criminal said:

May be an image of text that says 'T 2023 FALLCLASSIC WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS TEXAS RANGERS'

The Rangers trademarked the capital letter T ?   :wink:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Weakly Criminal said:

I just can't really believe it. My dad took me to a Rangers game the first year they moved here. I've been a fan since, but it's been tough. I think the thing that is most satisfying about this championship is that they did it the way they have always played, with slugging. But they added enough defense and pitching to make it happen. I can't tell you how much I love this team. :clap:

John Smoltz, for some damn reason, has had trouble praising the  Rangers this entire postseason. After Semien's home run he did manage to sum up this team's run with one phrase: "They are relentless." Indeed. You have to play perfect baseball against the Rangers. If you make one mistake against them, you're done. You make an error or a bad pitch and it feels like you just gave up a 5-run homer. That's how fast it happens, and they've done that all year, especially in the playoffs. It was fun to watch.

• Like 2

My feelings on the matter consist of a ridiculous sense of pride in the Brewers for sweeping the Rangers in Arlington in August.   :biggrin:   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Weakly Criminal said:

Is there a new Mr. October? 

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'FOX WORLD WORLDSERIES Tex LEADS 2-1 OCTOBER LEGENDS POSTSEASON COMPARISON GAMES 77 77 19 48 Range HOME RUNS RBI 18 48 COREY SEAGER REGGIE JACKSON'

Something tells me Reggie‘s numbers would be a lot higher if he had 2 extra rounds of playoffs every year. Just like when Mickey Mantle‘s postseason home run record was broken,  a big deal was made about it. No mention that Mantle’s home runs all came in the World Series, because he never had a playoff series.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Credit where it's due: good work, Rangers.

Maybe in sharing Spring Training facilities, some of that stardust can rub off on the Royals.

Oh, you'll need the whole twelve ships from Star Fleet.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

John Smoltz, for some damn reason, has had trouble praising the  Rangers this entire postseason. After Semien's home run he did manage to sum up this team's run with one phrase: "They are relentless." Indeed. You have to play perfect baseball against the Rangers. If you make one mistake against them, you're done. You make an error or a bad pitch and it feels like you just gave up a 5-run homer. That's how fast it happens, and they've done that all year, especially in the playoffs. It was fun to watch.

May be an image of text that says 'JOHN SMOLTZ GUSHING OVER WHOEVER THE RANGERS ARE PLAYING PAYZA rrn COREY SEAGER'

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/1/2023 at 11:16 PM, Principled Man said:

My feelings on the matter consist of a ridiculous sense of pride in the Brewers for sweeping the Rangers in Arlington in August.   :biggrin:   

Me being a fan of the A's and Dodgers, I feel like I can share in celebrating since Semien and Seager were so pivotal.  :biggrin:

On 11/2/2023 at 2:16 AM, Principled Man said:

4 hours ago, goose said:

Me being a fan of the A's and Dodgers, I feel like I can share in celebrating since Semien and Seager were so pivotal.  :biggrin:

The Rangers played stellar defense the whole postseason, and Seager and Semien up the middle were a big part of that. How many huge DPs did they turn?

I just counted, and the Rangers made only 5 errors in the entire postseason, and none in the WS (Tampa, in the wild card round, made 4 errors in one game). Everyone talks about their explosive offense and how their pitching came up big, but their solid defense was just as important.

• Like 5

• The topic was unpinned