2023 College Basketball thread

laughedatbytime

Nevada extended its streak to eight straight last night with a convincing 10pt win over UNLV.  With 26 wins we enter the Mountain West Tournament as the 2-seed behind Utah State, and have likely secured a bid to the Big Dance regardless of how we do. :7up:

Meanwhile, my Alma Mater  EWU enters the Big Sky tourney as the 1-seed and is currently trailing by 3 points vs 10-seed Sacramento State.  :facepalm:

^^^ On the ladies' side, it was 180 degree difference.  EWU's women's team took out Weber State, Montana State and Northern Arizona to win the Big Sky Tourney!  :7up::whipgirl::cheer:

Wazzu takes care of Stanford in good fashion.  The Cougars are the surprise success team of the West this year.

Nevada, going into the MtWest tourney on an 8-game win streak, is down by 13 at the half.  Tank and rest ain't a bad strategy when you have your Dance berth locked in.

Against the odds NC State gets to overtime and advances to the finals where they'll meet North Carolina.  UNC is in, so you gotta like NC State's chances.

The loser in this scenario?  A Mt West team, I believe 

48 minutes ago, goose said:

Against the odds NC State gets to overtime and advances to the finals where they'll meet North Carolina.  UNC is in, so you gotta like NC State's chances.

The loser in this scenario?  A Mt West team, I believe 

No doubt the Tar Heels are in but they may be playing for a #1 seed which should motivate them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BastillePark said:

No doubt the Tar Heels are in but they may be playing for a #1 seed which should motivate them.

NC State got it done.  And Iowa State put a beatdown on Houston.

• Like 1

So, it pays to take classes all over... I have Utah State,  UNR and Grand Canyon in the Dance!

In NIT action today Ohio State-Cornell was a GREAT game featuring an  OSU dunkfest vs. Ivy League back cut layins and deep 3-pointers.

In the end a blown Cornell wide open layup made for a disappointing finish.  Buckeyes win.

38 minutes ago, goose said:

In NIT action today Ohio State-Cornell was a GREAT game featuring an  OSU dunkfest vs. Ivy League back cut layins and deep 3-pointers.

In the end a blown Cornell wide open layup made for a disappointing finish.  Buckeyes win.

Two other teams won the opportunity to get beaten in the first round of the "big dance" but at least they're going.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, goose said:

Virginia gets blasted by Colorado St with a score of 42-67!

Less than 5 years ago they won the national championship (after being the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed the year before). :confused:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Less than 5 years ago they won the national championship (after being the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed the year before). :confused:

Crazy the way things go.

NC St-TexTech and Wazzu-Drake two great late night games so far.  May have to go out so I can watch both...

I only caught the last 50 seconds of the Nevada game and was shocked at how bad they looked on offense.  Just static.  Even at the 30 second mark after a time out it was deer in the headlights.  I had no idea they had blown a 17pt lead.  

As a lifelong UK fan, I know that the Wildcats can and do choke at any time. 

WHY, then, do I keep picking them to reach the Final Four?  WHY??!!   :facepalm:

(Yes, I know why.)   :bitchslap:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Principled Man said:

As a lifelong UK fan, I know that the Wildcats can and do choke at any time. 

WHY, then, do I keep picking them to reach the Final Four?  WHY??!!   :facepalm:

(Yes, I know why.)   :bitchslap:

A good bit of vitriol on FB saying enough of the tournament failures, Calipari has to go. Mostly regarding the last two years. Folks in Lexington upset?