Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

See I have in the past listened to every Sabbath album, I wrote all these ones off

Oops

Thanks for this!

At some point there's suppose to be a re-release of the Martin era albums. I read about it earlier this year. The Eternal Idol is the only one I think that has been available for a while. The rest of the albums with him are tough to find and aren't even on Spotify because the label they were on went out of business. So, there hasn't been any distribution of those albums since the late 90s. Maybe they're up on YouTube.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam- Backspacer 

I love these two albums so much 

• Like 1

Since Thursday:

Silverstein - Short Songs
Silverstein - This Is How The Wind Shifts
Silverstein - I Am Alive In Everything I Touch
Silverstein - Dead Reflection (Vinyl)
Silverstein - A Beautiful Place To Drown (Vinyl)
Silverstein - Misery Made Me (Vinyl)
Columbian Mustache - …Plays Requiem For The Radio: Greatest Hits
Bad Religion - How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

In Flames- Sounds Of A Playground Fading 

In Flames- Siren Charms 

In Flames- Battles 

In Flames- I, The Mask 

In Flames- Foregone

The first four albums here are really divisive. I, however, love them. Foregone is a modern In Flames classic and I'm glad to see the fanbase united again!

On 12/17/2023 at 1:43 AM, J2112YYZ said:

Dehumanizer is their best album with Dio. TYR is from the underrated Tony Martin era. Check out The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Cross Purposes(my favorite with Martin) and Forbidden if you want to hear more from his time with the band. Technically these are all Tony Iommi solo albums since he's the only connection to the old Sabbath on these albums except for Cross Purposes which Geezer Butler played bass on. Still, lots of good stuff. Iommi never ran out of awesome riffs. 13 was the reunion album with Ozzy and the bands final release.

Have you listened to The Devil You Know from Heaven and Hell? This is the Mob Rules/Dehumanizer lineup of Sabbath. They couldn't use the Black Sabbath name anymore because of c*** Sharon Osbourne, so they went by Heaven and Hell and only played Dio era songs live. It's a very good album. The death of Dio put an end to it and that's why they got back with Ozzy.

I wouldn't say Dehumanizer is the best album with Dio, although it's certainly the heaviest.  My only quarrel with it is that there's not much variety in the vibe of the songs.  Appice's drums sound like garbage cans on every song, which is a little grating to my ears.

The Tony Martin albums are functionally Iommi solo albums but technically they are Sabbath albums.  I agree with your unstated point that Iommi should have retired the name after Born Again.

The reunited Dio-era did use the name Black Sabbath when they released 3 new tracks with The Dio Years.  Ozzy sued Iommi to keep him from using the Black Sabbath name on tour.  IMO, Iommi should have fought him, because Ozzy, Geezer and Bill all sold their rights to Iommi when they left (all separately of course).  You can say Sharon was behind that I guess, but Ozzy made a lot of public statements at the time, so he should not be absolved of all blame.

I give 13 the edge of The Devil You Know, but it's pretty close.

• Like 2

Taylor Swift- 1989 (Taylor's Version)

Taylor Swift- Folklore 

Taylor Swift- Evermore

I don't know if uts an age thing, but I find modern metal really uninteresting. I just don't vibe with the often stagey feeling angst of new metal bands, and I just find myself less and less interested. 

Instead, I'm finding myself really into singer songwriters, Taylor Swift being my absolute favourite. My taste isn't softening, I listen to my favourite metal all the time...but I'm just not following anyone current on the metal scene who aren't long established artists, but i can't get enough of Taylor, who I support with the same infatuation I did as a kid with Trivium, Lamb Of God, Mastodon, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish or In Flames.

And, erm, I love Taylor just like I do all those bands.

I can't quite make sense of this near two decade long obsession with Taylor Swift. She's the artist of my generation, and her best work really is as great as critics say it is.

I can't help but compare her to Phil Collins, whose music and popularity was similarly widespread when I grew up. 

14 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Taylor Swift- 1989 (Taylor's Version)

Taylor Swift- Folklore 

Taylor Swift- Evermore

I don't know if uts an age thing, but I find modern metal really uninteresting. I just don't vibe with the often stagey feeling angst of new metal bands, and I just find myself less and less interested. 

Instead, I'm finding myself really into singer songwriters, Taylor Swift being my absolute favourite. My taste isn't softening, I listen to my favourite metal all the time...but I'm just not following anyone current on the metal scene who aren't long established artists, but i can't get enough of Taylor, who I support with the same infatuation I did as a kid with Trivium, Lamb Of God, Mastodon, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish or In Flames.

And, erm, I love Taylor just like I do all those bands.

I can't quite make sense of this near two decade long obsession with Taylor Swift. She's the artist of my generation, and her best work really is as great as critics say it is.

I can't help but compare her to Phil Collins, whose music and popularity was similarly widespread when I grew up. 

''their popularity and rise mirror each other very well.

Phil was sooooo overexposed and then he just wasn't one day.  i don't think taylor will ever be able to just go away like phil did though......the internet ya know?

But still people are tiring of her just as they did phil.

Mick

Worked from homebody (for part of the day - had to take part of the day off to take dad to the do's).  So that gave me a chance to open the moving box's up and whatever came out at random was listened to.  First out:

The Who - Quadrophenia

A classic.  Next out of the box:

Rush - Hemispheres

A decent, middle of the pack Rush album.  Next out of the box:

Rush - AFTK.

Very good album.

BTW - Why do I call Hemispheres a middle of the pack album?  For me it is just that.  Mind you, a middle of the pack Rush album is still a very good album.  If I was going to rank Rush's 19 original albums it would be some where in the middle.  My top  albums would be:

1.   2112

2.   Power Windows

3.   HYF

4.   FBN

5.   Presto

6.   AFTK

7.   S&A

My bottom albums would be:

19.   VT (the remix - the original mix is almost a different album and would rank at 20)

18.   CoS

17.   T4E

16.   CA

15.   RTB

CoS I don't care for because of the long songs on it - but it has crept up a bit recently so its pushing to move past T4E.  T4E has not aged well plus it has Dog Years and Virtuality - both of which are just bad songs.  As for CA & RTB they are almost interchangeable.  At its best CA is better than RTB but all of CA before Halo Effect I find to be unlistenable.  So that knocks it down below RTB.  I can at least listen to all of RTB.

So that leaves sort of a middle pack of albums (ST, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, MP,  Signals, Grace Under Presure and Counterparts).  All of them are good but all have some flaws.  Better than what is below them but not as good as the 7 gems above them.

Will work from home again tomorrow so I may get to listen to some more albums (before taking dad to another doctor's appointment). 

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

First out of the moving box today:

Dio - Victory

Never heard of this album before?  Not a shock.  Its a boot of a show he (according to the notes on the album) played at the Hammersmith Odeon on October 6th, 1984.  Last In Line era Did.  Very good stuff.  Next out of the box:

Heavy Metal Battle

What the heck is this you ask?  Well, side 1 is a boot of a Dokken show.  According to the notes on the album, the show was recorded live in Hollywood in 1984.  Its not more specific.  Wish it was but hey, Tooth & Nail era Dokken is the best Dokken (IMO).  Very good stuff.

Side 2 is a boot of a Dio show recorded live in New Orleans in 1985 (according to the notes on the album).  Wish it was more specific but its not.  Still Vivian was still with him - that much is clear.  More very good music.  Last out of the box for the day:

Dio - Intermission

Live Dio recorded in San Diago.  Not exactly certain when but clearly on the Sacred Heart tour.  My guess would be after Vivian was kicked out of Dio's group.  Plus one new album track.  Good but the boots were much better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

First out of the moving box today:

Dio - Victory

Never heard of this album before?  Not a shock.  Its a boot of a show he (according to the notes on the album) played at the Hammersmith Odeon on October 6th, 1984.  Last In Line era Did.  Very good stuff.  Next out of the box:

Heavy Metal Battle

What the heck is this you ask?  Well, side 1 is a boot of a Dokken show.  According to the notes on the album, the show was recorded live in Hollywood in 1984.  Its not more specific.  Wish it was but hey, Tooth & Nail era Dokken is the best Dokken (IMO).  Very good stuff.

Side 2 is a boot of a Dio show recorded live in New Orleans in 1985 (according to the notes on the album).  Wish it was more specific but its not.  Still Vivian was still with him - that much is clear.  More very good music.  Last out of the box for the day:

Dio - Intermission

Live Dio recorded in San Diago.  Not exactly certain when but clearly on the Sacred Heart tour.  My guess would be after Vivian was kicked out of Dio's group.  Plus one new album track.  Good but the boots were much better.

My favourite Dokken album is Under Lock and Key. I saw them on that tour too in 1986 when they supported Accept, this was at Manchester Apollo.

• Like 3