Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

On 11/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, Union 5-3992 said:

Slomosa - Slomosa

Soen - IMPERIAL

Unleashing the Archers - Apex

Unleashing the Archers - Abyss 

Wow! Apex just completely revamped my interest in power metal.

Must confess I am not at all familiar with Slomosa or Seen - never heard of either band.

But Unleash the Archers are awesome.  Those 2 albums are just amazing.  Wish I could like you comment more than once.

Been a while since I had the time to listen to any music - either been taking care of my parents or working or watching the news.  But today I worked from home so that gave me the chance to fire up the record player and whatever came out of the moving box got listened to.  Turned out this was an awesome thing to do.  First out of the box:

Bryan Adams  - Reckless

I remember when this album came out I listened to it and my first reaction was that it was almost to good.  That mostly still holds true.  My 2nd reaction was that the best song on the album was not what had been getting airplay  - at that point  I thought right away that "Summer of 69" was the best song on the album.  It eventually got a ton of airplay and time proved me right, IMO its the song that has aged the best.  Side 1 is just loaded with really good songs ("One Night Love Affair", "She's Only Happy When She's Dancing", "Run To You", "Heaven" & "Somebody").  Side 2 starts with the amazing "Summer of 69".  Then it continues with the good ""Kids Wanna Rock" & "Its Only Love".  It ends with 2 weak songs 'Long Gone" and the really weak "Ain't Gonna Cry".  Minus the 2 weak songs on the 2nd side its still one heck of an album.  Next out of the box:

Triumph - Allied Forces

The album has 2 of Triumph's best songs ("Magic Power" & Fight The Good Fight") plus it has a bunch of other strong songs like the title track and "Fool For Your Love".  A very good album.  Next out of the box:

Triumph - The Sport of Kings

Ok, I am going to say something crazy here.  IMO this is Triumph's best album.  While none off the songs can match "Magic Power" or "Fight The Good Fight" from Allied Forces or "Spellbound" or "Follow Your Heart"  from Thunder 7 or "Never Surrender" from that album, this album just fits together amazingly well.  One song just flows into the next.  Its much more than the sum of its parts.  Individually the songs just don't match with some of the songs from the other Triumph albums but together they do.  Rush were masters of making their albums fit together and here Triumph put together a complete album.  Its an album I never skip a song on.  Note - I was lucky enough to see Triumph on this tour and it was an awesome show.  Pity Triumph has been somewhat forgotten over the years.  They should not have been.  Next out of the box:

Cinderella - Night Songs

Side one loaded with strong songs (the title track, "Shake Me", "Nobody's Fool", "Nothin' For Nothin'" & "Once Around The Ride").  Side 2 has "Somebody Save Me" but is otherwise only ok.  But side one make it an enjoyable album.  Next out of the box:

Ozzy - The Ultimate Sin

Another album I never skip a song on.  That being said, I think its not on the same level as Bark At The Moon or the Randy era work.  Still very good.  Not a bad song.  Next out of the box:

Journey - Greatest Hits

A Journey greatest hits album.  Nuff said.  Just wish it was longer than 1 record - Journey has way more awesome songs than you can put on one record.  I have a 3 CD set of the greatest hits and thats more like it.  The only thing I can really complain about the album though is "Stone in Love" is not on this record.  I would have removed either "Girl Can't Help It" or "I'll Be Alright Without You" (both from their Raised on Radio dog, um, album) and replaced one of them with "Stone In Love".  Actually, I might have replaced both but I am not being greedy.

Anyway, I saved the best for last by chance.  So last out of the box today:

Savatage - Hall of The Mountain King

A masterpiece.  Brilliant.  Another album I never skip a song on.  Never have right from when I first got it back in 1987 and can't imagine that I ever would skip a song on it.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Been a while since I had the time to listen to any music - either been taking care of my parents or working or watching the news.  But today I worked from home so that gave me the chance to fire up the record player and whatever came out of the moving box got listened to.  Turned out this was an awesome thing to do.  First out of the box:

Bryan Adams  - Reckless

I remember when this album came out I listened to it and my first reaction was that it was almost to good.  That mostly still holds true.  My 2nd reaction was that the best song on the album was not what had been getting airplay  - at that point  I thought right away that "Summer of 69" was the best song on the album.  It eventually got a ton of airplay and time proved me right, IMO its the song that has aged the best.  Side 1 is just loaded with really good songs ("One Night Love Affair", "She's Only Happy When She's Dancing", "Run To You", "Heaven" & "Somebody").  Side 2 starts with the amazing "Summer of 69".  Then it continues with the good ""Kids Wanna Rock" & "Its Only Love".  It ends with 2 weak songs 'Long Gone" and the really weak "Ain't Gonna Cry".  Minus the 2 weak songs on the 2nd side its still one heck of an album.  Next out of the box:

Triumph - Allied Forces

The album has 2 of Triumph's best songs ("Magic Power" & Fight The Good Fight") plus it has a bunch of other strong songs like the title track and "Fool For Your Love".  A very good album.  Next out of the box:

Ok, I am going to say something crazy here.  IMO this is Triumph's best album.  While none off the songs can match "Magic Power" or "Fight The Good Fight" from Allied Forces or "Spellbound" or "Follow Your Heart"  from Thunder 7 or "Never Surrender" from that album, this album just fits together amazingly well.  One song just flows into the next.  Its much more than the sum of its parts.  Individually the songs just don't match with some of the songs from the other Triumph albums but together they do.  Rush were masters of making their albums fit together and here Triumph put together a complete album.  Its an album I never skip a song on.  Note - I was lucky enough to see Triumph on this tour and it was an awesome show.  Pity Triumph has been somewhat forgotten over the years.  They should not have been.  Next out of the box:

Cinderella - Night Songs

Side one loaded with strong songs (the title track, "Shake Me", "Nobody's Fool", "Nothin' For Nothin'" & "Once Around The Ride").  Side 2 has "Somebody Save Me" but is otherwise only ok.  But side one make it an enjoyable album.  Next out of the box:

Ozzy - The Ultimate Sin

Another album I never skip a song on.  That being said, I think its not on the same level as Bark At The Moon or the Randy era work.  Still very good.  Not a bad song.  Next out of the box:

Journey - Greatest Hits

A Journey greatest hits album.  Nuff said.  Just wish it was longer than 1 record - Journey has way more awesome songs than you can put on one record.  I have a 3 CD set of the greatest hits and thats more like it.  The only thing I can really complain about the album though is "Stone in Love" is not on this record.  I would have removed either "Girl Can't Help It" or "I'll Be Alright Without You" (both from their Raised on Radio dog, um, album) and replaced one of them with "Stone In Love".  Actually, I might have replaced both but I am not being greedy.

A masterpiece.  Brilliant.  Another album I never skip a song on.  Never have right from when I first got it back in 1987 and can't imagine that I ever would skip a song on it.  

I consider Savatage one of the ten greatest metal bands I know of. Like Priest, infind myself blown away all over again every time I return to them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Bryan Adams  - Reckless

Triumph - Allied Forces

Cinderella - Night Songs

Ozzy - The Ultimate Sin

Journey - Greatest Hits

Actually, you listened to the best one first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbine Freight said:

A target aims at a building that is expelling out flames, with the target showing a magnified view of it.

56 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

One of the 5 best studio albums of all time IMO

I used to think so when I was 14 years old.