Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

A7 - Waking the Fallen

Not impressed at all.  Not to my taste - not at all.  Just terrible.  I don't know if they did anything better but I don't think I would even be bothered exploring them.  Just terrible.

My understanding is this is neither a good representation of their sound nor a good place to start with them.

EDIT: another should have been neither

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My understanding is this is another a good representation of their sound nor a good place to start with them.

I was told to start with City Of Evil. That album did very little for me. They take everything that has ever been done in metal and piece it together to make their songs. They do a good job of sounding like everything that has ever been done in metal. The problem is none of the songs really stand out as being their own. The drumming is really good though.

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

I was told to start with City Of Evil. That album did very little for me. They take everything that has ever been done in metal and piece it together to make their songs. They do a good job of sounding like everything that has ever been done in metal. The problem is none of the songs really stand out as being their own. The drumming is really good though.

I’m far from the best person to ask about this band, but City Of Evil seems to have a much better reputation around the internet than the ones that precede it. I really like their self titled, I feel like that would be a pretty likeable record for anyone who likes metal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’m far from the best person to ask about this band, but City Of Evil seems to have a much better reputation around the internet than the ones that precede it. I really like their self titled, I feel like that would be a pretty likeable record for anyone who likes metal.

I forgot to mention that I don't like the singer's voice either. You're not going to get too far with a band if you don't like something like that.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I forgot to mention that I don't like the singer's voice either. You're not going to get too far with a band if you don't like something like that.

Ah yeah that’s the Achilles heel in anything. I wasn’t sure I liked M Shadows at first, but as a singer I found myself very impressed with some of the things he’s able to pull off in spite of his weirdly nasally tone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

If I do try them again I will try that.  Thanks.  I just hope the vocals improve (or, better yet, they just got another lead singer).  Liked the drumming on the album and the guitar work was decent but the vocals - just horrible (at least IMO).

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

O - boy.  Just saw this post.  Sigh.  I also watched a bit of a recent show at MSG and was not impressed - mostly due to the vocals. 

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Thanks for the suggestion - tried City of Evil and listened to about half the album and gave up.  Had to go listen to some Scardust, some Brothers of Metal and some Blind Guardian to clean my ears out.   It was better than Waking The Fallen but not at all to my taste.  Good drum work though.  But thats about the only good thing I could say about the album.   Not a group I will pursue any further.  Got plenty of other bands I want to explore.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My understanding is this is neither a good representation of their sound nor a good place to start with them.

EDIT: another should have been neither

It's honestly a major fan favourite and for the metalcore genre, one of the most beloved of that era. A lot of fans turned on them when they left this sound. Me? Love it but I definitely prefer City Of Evil onwards when they just embraced the WTF mentality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Thanks for the suggestion - tried City of Evil and listened to about half the album and gave up.  Had to go listen to some Scardust, some Brothers of Metal and some Blind Guardian to clean my ears out.   It was better than Waking The Fallen but not at all to my taste.  Good drum work though.  But thats about the only good thing I could say about the album.   Not a group I will pursue any further.  Got plenty of other bands I want to explore.

They are definitely not for everyone! I have a few times had this exact reaction when a new album comes out (I did this year). They are obnoxious. You either get with it or just leave it be.

No biggie! 

And I will always recommend Blind Guardian as an alternative haha

I mean I love that you're like me, you give a band a lot of opportunity before spouting opinions. No one can say you didn't try!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Pearl Jam- Ten (Redux)

Avenged Sevenfold- ...Life Is But A Dream

Well finally I fell for this album and now it stands as my current AOTY.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well City Of Evil is just a one of a kind album. Its a celebration of decades worth of metal styles and also has Meat Loaf like bombast

I get the haters, I really do. And they don't really ever try to appease the haters. Even their "generic" metal album Hail To The King is full of their trademark qualities.

City Of Evil is kinda like their debut. Before it, they hadn't really acquired a sound of their own.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's...nasal 🤣

• Like 1

Avenged Sevenfold- The Stage

Just like Dream Theater, they moved on from Mike Portnoy beautifully with epic prog 🤣

Olivia Rodrigo- Sour

Madonna- American Life

Sour is a great pop album. 

American Life is a strange pop album. It is derided, and I get that. The title track aims to be a political statement but its genuinely cringe. But most of the album is a blend of folk pop, glimpses of the dark side of celebrity, and musically is stripped back of the overly glossy production she had become known for by then.

I really like it, it misses some of its targets but had she released the right songs as singles, it could have easily been another major win.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Well City Of Evil is just a one of a kind album. Its a celebration of decades worth of metal styles and also has Meat Loaf like bombast

I get the haters, I really do. And they don't really ever try to appease the haters. Even their "generic" metal album Hail To The King is full of their trademark qualities.

City Of Evil is kinda like their debut. Before it, they hadn't really acquired a sound of their own.

Meat Loaf like bombast? You heard a different album than I did.