Design for Neil hometown statue(s) has been approved!

blueschica

Neil's hometown of St. Catharine's held a competition for a statue to be placed at his park pavilion to honor Neil. Link to the winning design below. (Sorry, can't post photo directly for some reason tonight.)

Interestingly, it's not the one of him at the drums wearing the kufi hat that a bronze artist worked on last year.  Instead, they went with 2 statues- the young 1970s Neil, and the mature Neil. Piles of books are featured prominently in both.  :heart: :wub:

https://www.stcatharines.ca/en/news/artist-selected-to-commission-artwork-for-neil-peart-memorial.aspx

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 12

I will donate some, it looks great! And very happy it is about more than drumming.

I will look again, closer, but some kind of motorcycle element would be very appreciated. 

Or even including a snowshoe somehow. But looks awesome!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bahamas said:

I will donate some, it looks great! And very happy it is about more than drumming.

I will look again, closer, but some kind of motorcycle element would be very appreciated. 

I was thinking about that...... suspect that the gears are more about driving his BMWs (and his drive) than CA. Or maybe both.

Just my interpretation.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

Yes  his writing about snowshoeing around  the Laurentians was great to read. Very well done.

• Like 2

If I was designing a town for Neil I'd have the houses made of bricks in the shape of little RUSH t-shirts with 2112 on. The fire station would look exactly like the cover of A Farewell to Kings and all the women in the town would have their hair like the woman on Permanent Waves...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

If I was designing a town for Neil I'd have the houses made of bricks in the shape of little RUSH t-shirts with 2112 on. The fire station would look exactly like the cover of A Farewell to Kings and all the women in the town would have their hair like the woman on Permanent Waves...

Somehow that's a great combination of both you and Neil . . .  .:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:20 PM, grep said:

I was thinking about that...... suspect that the gears are more about driving his BMWs (and his drive) than CA. Or maybe both.

Just my interpretation.

I think a helmet somewhere on a shelf or on the floor with a map spread out (like a rug) would include a huge part of his life.

(Not ignoring family and friends and challenges of being away - just saying the road and seeing so many of his self-shots on the bike with that big dark helmet would be great to see).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

I think a helmet somewhere on a shelf or on the floor with a map spread out (like a rug) would include a huge part of his life.

(Not ignoring family and friends and challenges of being away - just saying the road and seeing so many of his self-shots on the bike with that big dark helmet would be great to see).

That would be cool!

• Like 1

Clicked the link to Citizens First email to ask about fundraising. Will see what they suggest.

Edit: Oops, the link is www.stcatherines.ca/neilpeart 

Edited by Bahamas
Found the link
  • Like 2

Sent a tax receipt the very next day.

• Like 1