The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

And now a tricky match with Sweden?   :scared:  

The penalty for finishing second in the group! The Swedes (probably!) will be no pushover, and might think they can get at the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

The penalty for finishing second in the group! The Swedes (probably!) will be no pushover, and might think they can get at the US.

Especially the Sedin sisters. 

Deutschland unter alles

The most South Korea thing at the match -- the girl in the crowd holding up a Samsung tablet with the South Korean flag on it, rather than an actual flag.

• Haha 1

All this talk of the US women doing something historic came true, just not as intended.  Earliest exit yet for a USWS team, and the three choked penalty kicks will be long remembered.  :eh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goose said:

All this talk of the US women doing something historic came true, just not as intended.  Earliest exit yet for a USWS team, and the three choked penalty kicks will be long remembered.  :eh:

Did not get to see the match but watched a few highlights.  Got the feeling the US outplayed Sweden but the Swedish goal keeper was  excellent and kept them in it.  Then the penalty shootout was really entertaining.

Now Sweden gets Japan.  Some reward for beating the US.  Japan has looked very good from what I have seen and I would think, based on the score-lines, that they must be the favorite to win it all at this point.  If they get by Sweden they will get either Spain (who they already destroyed) or The Netherlands in the semi's. 

Mens football, women's football - it does not matter.  I enjoy it all.  Esp. during the World Cup or Euro-cup.

• Like 1

Now England just gets through - on penalties of strange things.  But they will without one of their best players for the 1/4's

Now, if only Morocco would beat France (not going to happen ) wow would that blow the brackets wide open.  With the English player red carded their is a good chance England could get beat in the quarters (typical for the English - a quarter final exit).  That would really mess up the brackets even more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Now England just gets through - on penalties of strange things.  But they will without one of their best players for the 1/4's

Now, if only Morocco would beat France (not going to happen ) wow would that blow the brackets wide open.  With the English player red carded their is a good chance England could get beat in the quarters (typical for the English - a quarter final exit).  That would really mess up the brackets even more.

That red card . . . oh, man. I know the coach said the player just lost control, but you gotta think through using a downed opponent's buttocks as your starting block out in the middle of the field, when you've just waved your arms at the ref so you know she's looking your way! I thought the yellow made sense. I dunno; was it violent conduct? If it was the ankle, something boney and breakable, sure, but the butt?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

That red card . . . oh, man. I know the coach said the player just lost control, but you gotta think through using a downed opponent's buttocks as your starting block out in the middle of the field, when you've just waved your arms at the ref so you know she's looking your way! I thought the yellow made sense. I dunno; was it violent conduct? If it was the ankle, something boney and breakable, sure, but the butt?

He said 'butt'.  :drool:

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 7:01 PM, Nova Carmina said:

With the English players spikes the other player may not want to sit down for a while.

Now Spain ko's Holland.  Mild upset for me.  I did watch about the first 15 - 20 minutes of the match however and I got the feeling that Spain was the better side.

The bigger shock is Sweden beating Japan - and even though it was 2-1 it sounds like it was not that close.

Spain has to be thanking Sweden for that, but it sets up an interesting semi.  Not certain who to pick there.  Not the semi I expected going into the 1/4's.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Now Spain ko's Holland.  Mild upset for me.  I did watch about the first 15 - 20 minutes of the match however and I got the feeling that Spain was the better side.

The bigger shock is Sweden beating Japan - and even though it was 2-1 it sounds like it was not that close.

Spain has to be thanking Sweden for that, but it sets up an interesting semi.  Not certain who to pick there.  Not the semi I expected going into the 1/4's.

I thought the Dutch would be among the favorites left, so I agree that's an upset. I'm not as surprised Sweden beat Japan; the Swedes seem pretty good at stopping the other side from playing their game. I see the previously free-scoring Japanese didn't even get their first shot until like an hour in.

I gotta like Sweden in the next round. 

Meantime, can the Lionesses beat the Colombians?

• The topic was unpinned