Jump to content

Well, that sucked.


Recommended Posts

Everything was going so well after we came back on Easter Sunday -- until we noticed our 80GB of storage was quickly and inexplicably filling to capacity. Considering the old board only took up about 40GB, this was something of a surprise. Something was generating gigabytes of files, to the tune of 10GB in our first 12 hours of operation. That's just silly. Clearly there was something weird left behind from the database conversion, but we couldn't figure it out at first because as soon as the storage hit its limit, the board shut down. We couldn't even put up status updates while we were doing repairs.

 

The disk being completely full also meant we also couldn't run our backup program yesterday, meaning we had to revert to the most recent backup we had which was from right before we reopened. So we lost that whole first day's posts. Better than losing everything, of course, but it still sucks.

 

There's a ton more detail, of course, but that's a barebones account of what happened.

 

Any new members who joined just after we re-opened will have to make another new account.

 

Those of you who had their post counts restored will have to re-submit their requests in this thread in RS.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Everything was going so well after we came back on Easter Sunday -- until we noticed our 80GB of storage was quickly and inexplicably filling to capacity. Considering the old board only took up about 40GB, this was something of a surprise. Something was generating gigabytes of files, to the tune of 10GB in our first 12 hours of operation. That's just silly. Clearly there was something weird left behind from the database conversion, but we couldn't figure it out at first because as soon as the storage hit its limit, the board shut down. We couldn't even put up status updates while we were doing repairs.

 

The disk being completely full also meant we also couldn't run our backup program yesterday, meaning we had to revert to the most recent backup we had which was from right before we reopened. So we lost that whole first day's posts. Better than losing everything, of course, but it still sucks.

 

There's a ton more detail, of course, but that's a barebones account of what happened.

 

Any new members who joined just after we re-opened will have to make another new account.

 

Those of you who had their post counts restored will have to re-submit their requests in this thread in RS.

 

tomb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

The problem with casting poll votes needs to be fixed again, like several things settings adjustments that we did on Sunday and got lost when the storage crashed.

 

Poll votes fixed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can the login cookie duration time value be increased? It seems like it expires sooner than before the software upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, JARG said:

Can the login cookie duration time value be increased? It seems like it expires sooner than before the software upgrade.

 

I need to find that setting. How much time do you think you have now before you have to log in again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

I need to find that setting. How much time do you think you have now before you have to log in again?

 

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the cookie expires after about 60 minutes. Previously the expire was very long -- I could stay logged in for days at a time if I didn't close the browser and/or log off from the site (I purge all cookies when I close my browser). I don't think we need to go back to that, so maybe expire after 12 hours?

 

 

Update: actually, the expire seems shorter than I previously thought, so now I'm thinking it's not a cookie issue, but maybe a session variable issue. Banks use session variables to automatically expire your session if you're inactive after a certain period of time -- maybe that's what's going on here?

Edited by JARG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JARG said:

 

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the cookie expires after about 60 minutes. Previously the expire was very long -- I could stay logged in for days at a time if I didn't close the browser and/or log off from the site (I purge all cookies when I close my browser). I don't think we need to go back to that, so maybe expire after 12 hours?

 

 

Update: actually, the expire seems shorter than I previously thought, so now I'm thinking it's not a cookie issue, but maybe a session variable issue. Banks use session variables to automatically expire your session if you're inactive after a certain period of time -- maybe that's what's going on here?

 

You need to stay more active then.  Have you considered one of these??

 

toilet-computer-chair.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

I need to find that setting. How much time do you think you have now before you have to log in again?

 

14 hours ago, JARG said:

 

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the cookie expires after about 60 minutes. Previously the expire was very long -- I could stay logged in for days at a time if I didn't close the browser and/or log off from the site (I purge all cookies when I close my browser). I don't think we need to go back to that, so maybe expire after 12 hours?

 

 

Update: actually, the expire seems shorter than I previously thought, so now I'm thinking it's not a cookie issue, but maybe a session variable issue. Banks use session variables to automatically expire your session if you're inactive after a certain period of time -- maybe that's what's going on here?

 

I changed a setting, let me know if you see a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

 

I changed a setting, let me know if you see a difference.

Will do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

 

I changed a setting, let me know if you see a difference.

 

No change as far as I can tell. Thanks for trying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JARG said:

 

No change as far as I can tell. Thanks for trying.

 

Are you clicking that Remember Me button when you log in? I have that enabled that on my phone and it's keeping me logged in, while on my desktop I left it unchecked and it logs me out all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

Are you clicking that Remember Me button when you log in? I have that enabled that on my phone and it's keeping me logged in, while on my desktop I left it unchecked and it logs me out all day.

When are you bringing the Professionals in?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

Are you clicking that Remember Me button when you log in? I have that enabled that on my phone and it's keeping me logged in, while on my desktop I left it unchecked and it logs me out all day.

Wasn't clicking it (I don't think I clicked it in the old version, either), but that's done the trick. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hatchetaxe&saw said:

Nice paint job!

 

What's that smell? Is that, FEET?

 

Why, yes it is! We figured it was more pleasant than the "Fields o: Lavender" scent that we had with the old board.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notice everyone's avatars only say Member now instead of Long Awaited Froind and such.  Is that gone for good?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...