• Miss Gradenko
    • Synchronicity II
    • Every Breath You Take
    • King Of Pain
    • Wrapped Around Your Finger
    • Tea In The Sahara
    • Murder By Numbers

oooooooooooooooooooo

Okay okay I know Zep is the epitome of an easy vote and Sting is only slightly less annoying than Bono... but this has gotta be a close album matchup for more than just me right? I mean, we're talking two of the greatest albums in the classic rock canon here! Heartbreaker vs. King Of Pain! The Lemon Song vs. Miss Gradenko!

or how about... Moby Dick vs. Mother... lol

Hm, I should also note that these were the first two albums I heard from these two bands.

I checked out LZII from my local library around the summer before my sophomore year of high school. Some other notable albums I first heard that summer are: Styx - Crystal Ball, Pink Floyd - Animals, Radiohead - The Bends, Muse - Origin Of Symmetry, U2 - War, and Yes - The Yes Album. And, aside from Muse, those were all my introductions to their respective bands! Not coincidentally, all of these are either my favorite or second favorite album by their respective bands as well.

As for Synchronicity, it was later in the first semester of my sophomore year of high school when I had to stay the night at a friend's house during the school week that I discovered it. My friend was the head drum major in our high school marching band, so he was really cool and very chill as well. I noticed what appeared to be a little turntable next to his bedroom door while I was over, and when I asked him about it he let me borrow it for the night along with his handful of vinyl records to listen to. The first one that caught my eye was Synchronicity, and I decided it would be the first one I'd play. I set up the little player on the floor of the guest room, took the album out of the sleeve, set it down carefully on the turntable, unlatched the tone arm, and gently set the needle down at the start of the album... and seconds later I was greeted with one of the most inviting and exciting little synth riffs I'd yet heard, then a big snare hit and the album was off to the races. I was blown away. That very moment is when I decided I'd be needing to get my own record player and start my own record collection.

So... I guess I'll vote Synchronicity for the first question, lol.

• Like 2

I'm the only one to vote for "Every Breath You Take". :)

I thought pretty hard about it. I only wound up going with WLL for Bonzo's drum fills.

• Like 1

So... I guess I'll vote Synchronicity for the first question, lol.

Same here. Whole Lotta Love takes question #2.

As for the third part, I'd have a hard enough time picking three best songs from either one of these albums, let alone both combined. So I'll just watch and see what others pick.

• Like 1

This would have been harder for me with a different Zep album...but II isn't my fave by quite a margin. Synchronicity is pretty close to perfect for a pop record - interesting, surprising, catchy, smart with some very good and inventive playing. I tire of the hits from it...but that's not the record's fault. As a piece, it's great.

I actually watched, for the first time in many years, the Every Breath You Take video on youtube...which was interesting, because it kind of made me re-engage with the song. You still hear it a lot out in the world..but I never really listen to it. It is not close to my favourite Police track...but I was reminded that it actually is a really good song. Whole Lotta Love, on the other hand, I can just go the rest of my life and never hear again. It's fine, it's a heavy groove, the breakdown is cool...but as a song I just don't give a shit about it anymore. I don't get anything from it.

• Like 1

Unusual take from me here.

I like the Police, but I think Synchronicity is in last place in their list.

I like Zeppelin, but of their first six it's again their least.

This was tough for me.

I actually watched, for the first time in many years, the Every Breath You Take video on youtube...which was interesting, because it kind of made me re-engage with the song. You still hear it a lot out in the world..but I never really listen to it.

I have a version where the lead vocal is taken off. There is quite a bit going on in that song that may be lost to this.

They have at least 2 albums I would put ahead of it. I wonder if people are so big on the hits that they do not think too much about the rest of it.

I actually watched, for the first time in many years, the Every Breath You Take video on youtube...which was interesting, because it kind of made me re-engage with the song. You still hear it a lot out in the world..but I never really listen to it.

I have a version where the lead vocal is taken off. There is quite a bit going on in that song that may be lost to this.

They have at least 2 albums I would put ahead of it. I wonder if people are so big on the hits that they do not think too much about the rest of it.

:no:

Quite the opposite. I love the deeper cuts on Synchronicity to death, and I even enjoy Mother. The hit parade on side 2 is just the icing on the cake for me.

Quite the opposite. I love the deeper cuts on Synchronicity to death, and I even enjoy Mother. The hit parade on side 2 is just the icing on the cake for me.

The hits? Breath, Synch I and II, Wrapped, King of Pain. That's half the album...all iconic songs.

So I guess these are the duds: Tea In The Sahara, Walking In Your Footsteps, Oh My God, Murder By Numbers, Miss Gradenko?

Hmmm...

• Like 1

The hits? Breath, Synch I and II, Wrapped, King of Pain. That's half the album...all iconic songs.

So I guess these are the duds: Tea In The Sahara, Walking In Your Footsteps, Oh My God, Murder By Numbers, Miss Gradenko?

Hmmm...

EBYT, KOP, and WAYF are so iconic I sometimes forget Synch I and II are also hits, lol.