Black Sabbath: Albums Elimination (FINAL ROUND, PLEASE VOTE!!!!!!)

_hi_water._

23 members have voted

1. 1. Eliminate:

• Paranoid (1970)
    • Master Of Reality (1971)

"Vol. 4" has been eliminated.

19. Forbidden (1995)

18. Cross Purposes (1994)

17. Tyr (1990)

16. The Eternal Idol (1987)

15. Headless Cross (1989)

14. Seventh Star (1986)

13. Born Again (1983)

12. Dehumanizer (1992)

11. Never Say Die! (1978)

10. 13 (2013)

9. Technical Ecstasy (1976)

8. Sabotage (1975)

7. Mob Rules (1981)

6. Black Sabbath (1970)

5. Heaven And Hell (1980)

4. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

3. Vol. 4 (1972)

MoR might be instrumentally better, but it`s lyrically less my thing.

So what part of Paranoid's lyrics are more your thing? Anti war stuff a la War Pigs and Electric Funeral? Depression and drug use via Paranoid, Hand Of Doom, and Fairies Wear Boots? Epic Marvel Superheroes except they're actually what their names suggest and they're out for revenge??

So what part of Paranoid's lyrics are more your thing? Anti war stuff a la War Pigs and Electric Funeral? Depression and drug use via Paranoid, Hand Of Doom, and Fairies Wear Boots? Epic Marvel Superheroes except they're actually what their names suggest and they're out for revenge??

I`m probably in a minority that I think of Ted Hughes first with Iron Man, but yes, I would hear a thousand songs about drugs and death and depression before I hear After Forever. But that`s just because I`m a deeply depressed and troubled absurdist :cool:

I`m probably in a minority that I think of Ted Hughes first with Iron Man, but yes, I would hear a thousand songs about drugs and death and depression before I hear After Forever. But that`s just because I`m a deeply depressed and troubled absurdist :cool:

Ah I see, you must be a much bigger fan of Alice In Chains than Mumford And Sons!

I'm religious, so I really dig After Forever and Lord Of This World, but the drug and depression songs are great too.

Gotta say though, Ozzy really lost his train of though halfway through Fairies Wear Boots.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

Ah I see, you must be a much bigger fan of Alice In Chains than Mumford And Sons!

I'm religious, so I really dig After Forever and Lord Of This World, but the drug and depression songs are great too.

Gotta say though, Ozzy really lost his train of though halfway through Fairies Wear Boots.

I know literally nothing about M&S, and not much more about AIC. But generally, yes, I`d rather hear Dylan rambling on about nothing for sixteen minutes in "Highlands" than listen to anything from Slow Train Coming/Saved/Shot of Love. Logically, I`d adore Carve Away the Stone too, but unfortunately it`s not really about Sisyphus or Camus. Very misleading :tsk:
  • Like 1

We really do disprove anything credible about Astrology, given our birthday sharing :lol:
  • Like 2

We really do disprove anything credible about Astrology, given our birthday sharing :lol:

That I can agree on!

• Like 1

RE: Master of Reality...

...it was viewed with disdain by contemporary music critics. In The Village Voice, Robert Christgau called it "a dim-witted, amoral exploitation."[19] Rolling Stone magazine's Lester Bangs described it as "monotonous" and hardly an improvement over its predecessor, although he found the lyrics more revealing because they offer "some answers to the dark cul-de-sacs of Paranoid."

:lol:

Mick Wall writes that "the Sabbath sound took a plunge into even greater darkness. Bereft even of reverb, leaving their sound as dry as old bones dug up from some desert burial plot, the finished music's brutish force would so alarm the critics they would punish Sabbath in print for being blatantly thuggish, purposefully mindless, creepy, and obnoxious. Twenty years later groups like Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, and, particularly, Nirvana, would excavate the same heaving lung sound ... And be rewarded with critical garlands."

critics, lol

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

...it was viewed with disdain by contemporary music critics. In The Village Voice, Robert Christgau called it "a dim-witted, amoral exploitation."[19] Rolling Stone magazine's Lester Bangs described it as "monotonous" and hardly an improvement over its predecessor, although he found the lyrics more revealing because they offer "some answers to the dark cul-de-sacs of Paranoid."

Mick Wall writes that "the Sabbath sound took a plunge into even greater darkness. Bereft even of reverb, leaving their sound as dry as old bones dug up from some desert burial plot, the finished music's brutish force would so alarm the critics they would punish Sabbath in print for being blatantly thuggish, purposefully mindless, creepy, and obnoxious. Twenty years later groups like Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, and, particularly, Nirvana, would excavate the same heaving lung sound ... And be rewarded with critical garlands."

critics, lol

I have to find Christgau's review of Paranoid. If it's not nearly as negative, I'm switching my vote to MoR. My vote was really close so the contempt of the contemptible would be enough to switch.

critics, lol

What a strange perception of those bands, but then Mick Wall has to attack grunge. He is contractually obliged to, as it`s not classic metal.

The awkward thing for me is that the line from Christgau`s Paranoid review -"Personally, I've always suspected that horror movies catharsized stuff I was too rational to care about in the first place" - I`ve always felt exactly like that about anything that`s supposed to strike fear into me :unsure:

*Awkward because I know I`m expected to hold critics in contempt as a Rush fan, but I don`t.

Edited by IbanezJem

Master Of Reality is my favourite Sabbath album. A mighty album.

#2 for me. Add one more song of the same quality and it probably eeks out SBS.

• Like 1

Is it a weird thing for an atheist to love Master Of Reality both musically AND lyrically?

:no:

• Like 1

Results:

19. Forbidden (1995)

18. Cross Purposes (1994)

17. Tyr (1990)

16. The Eternal Idol (1987)

15. Headless Cross (1989)

14. Seventh Star (1986)

13. Born Again (1983)

12. Dehumanizer (1992)

11. Never Say Die! (1978)