Jump to content

Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8


Entre_Perpetuo
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Super25Smasher said:

Move Along is a top ten album of all time for me. I got it on gold vinyl with a rainbow foil cover back in January. Brand New Eyes is also a classic. I haven't listened to Plain White T's in ages. I'll have to give Every Second Counts a spin this week.

     I think it's totally deserving of that. I expected greatness and that's what I got from Move Along. I'm still a bit reserved in thinking how it would rank in my own pop punk / emo theoretical power rankings, since that was my first listen, but I never got bored and found it to be everything you could look for in an emo record. So, for now, solid!  

 

      Yeah Every Second Counts just really surprised me. I was in the mood for something lighthearted and pop punky, but not in a Blink-182 kind of way, so I figured I'd see if it held up, and it kind of did more than that. There were chord progressions that sounded more like Bach than The Beatles, and lots of interesting melodic shapes. A few tracks towards the back end did lose me a bit (including one that's very cringe inducing by today's lyrical standards, one of those "I'm nicer than all the guys you go out with so why not go out with me" pity party tracks), but they close it out with Hey There Delilah which I've always enjoyed. Honestly, lyrically it was kind of surprising, it felt very innocent, but more out of choice than inexperience or youth.  Like they're a bunch of semi-straight-edge kids who don't harbor much ill will towards anyone and would rather make you dance than make you scream.

 

Brand New Eyes feels like my album of the year. If not for the fact that it came out 13 years ago. But hey, this is the first year I've listened to it.  If we're talking definite top ten contenders, at least in the world of pop punk and emo, this is a top 5 contender for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

Move Along is a top ten album of all time for me. I got it on gold vinyl with a rainbow foil cover back in January. Brand New Eyes is also a classic. I haven't listened to Plain White T's in ages. I'll have to give Every Second Counts a spin this week.

 

 

Actually, out of curiosity, do you have a top ten albums of all time list at the ready???

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

 

 

Actually, out of curiosity, do you have a top ten albums of all time list at the ready???

I've thought about this a lot, but I don't think I've counted out ten. These are the first ten that came to mind

Rush - Moving Pictures

Boston - Boston

Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol

The All-American Rejects - Move Along

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory

Belmont - Belmont

State Champs - The Finer Things

With Confidence - Better Weather

Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be

The Offspring - Smash

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I've thought about this a lot, but I don't think I've counted out ten. These are the first ten that came to mind

Rush - Moving Pictures

Boston - Boston

Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol

The All-American Rejects - Move Along

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory

Belmont - Belmont

State Champs - The Finer Things

With Confidence - Better Weather

Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be

The Offspring - Smash

 

 

I don't know why I expected to know more of the records on your list than I do, but for the first four I was sitting here nodding and approving and after that I just remembered how many other things I still need to check out!! lol

 

This is great to know though! Thank you for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

 

 

I don't know why I expected to know more of the records on your list than I do, but for the first four I was sitting here nodding and approving and after that I just remembered how many other things I still need to check out!! lol

 

This is great to know though! Thank you for sharing.

You're welcome! There's a lot of pop punk on there, but a lot of those bands don't sound the same. Belmont is heavier, and more experimental, genre-bending, and technical than many other pop punk bands. Their sophomore album that came out this year expands on all of those aspects. Motion City Soundtrack is pretty emotional, and is very much influenced by early Weezer, as well as bands like Superchunk. There are some pretty Pinkerton-esque moments on that album. State Champs and With Confidence are more straightforward pop punk, although the With Confidence album has a beautiful piano ballad, and decently varied tempos, and the State Champs album is very energetic. Where You Want To Be has a lot of fast-paced punk songs, as well as some slower tracks and an acoustic ballad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 6:48 PM, J2112YYZ said:

The issue with bonus tracks is that they are often not included because there's no place to put it on the album without ruining the flow and impact of the rest of the songs. I have never heard that song before but where could they have placed it on the album without possibly killing the vibe of the album?

A lot of the bonus tracks on Judas Priest albums are leftovers from the Turbo sessions. Turbo was supposed to be a double album called "Twin Turbos", but the idea was scrapped, and nine of the 11 songs from the second discussion have surfaced over the years, with 3 or 4 appearing on Ram It Down, a few more on reissues, and one in a boxset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Super25Smasher said:

A lot of the bonus tracks on Judas Priest albums are leftovers from the Turbo sessions. Turbo was supposed to be a double album called "Twin Turbos", but the idea was scrapped, and nine of the 11 songs from the second discussion have surfaced over the years, with 3 or 4 appearing on Ram It Down, a few more on reissues, and one in a boxset.

One of my favourite Priest songs is a bonus track. Prisoner Of Love

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Super25Smasher said:

A lot of the bonus tracks on Judas Priest albums are leftovers from the Turbo sessions. Turbo was supposed to be a double album called "Twin Turbos", but the idea was scrapped, and nine of the 11 songs from the second discussion have surfaced over the years, with 3 or 4 appearing on Ram It Down, a few more on reissues, and one in a boxset.

 

Considering it's one of the worst Priest albums the idea to not make it a double was a good one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

 

Considering it's one of the worst Priest albums the idea to not make it a double was a good one.

The album has quite the cult following now. It's really not that bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Avenged Sevenfold- The Stage 

 

The trumpets on Sunny Disposition amuse the hell out of me. Love this song, and I find myself singing "and no one likes cheap wiiiiine" at every other moment.

 

Ridiculous album. I love it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I agree.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I don't enjoy Ram It Down. But Turbo is good. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it.

 

But hey, I got mocked around these parts for saying I love Point Of Entry lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I don't enjoy Ram It Down. But Turbo is good. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it.

 

But hey, I got mocked around these parts for saying I love Point Of Entry lol

 

Ram It Down isn't good either but the title track and Blood Red Skies crush everything on Point Of Entry and Turdbo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

 

Ram It Down isn't good either but the title track and Blood Red Skies crush everything on Point Of Entry and Turdbo.

Disagree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Point of Entry is a top 5 Priest album for me.  Turbo might be too.  I'd have to think about that a little.

Point Of Entry is top five for me as well. I love it's smooth metal sound. It's a change of pace, and one that I think they pulled off wonderfully.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was locked
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...