RPG: Full Moon Fever vs. Fleet Foxes

choose one  

18 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
    • Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  2. 2. artist

I feel like only a couple people will have a tough time with this one.

For me... the album matchup is tough. Despite some killer hits, I'm not the hugest fan of Full Moon Fever in comparison with other Petty albums I've heard. Fleet Foxes debut is high quality throughout and thoroughly unlike most anything else in my collection. I don't put either one on much, but I think I'm more likely to turn to the solemn magic of Fleet Foxes than the commercial juggernaut of Full Moon Fever.

On the artist side of the coin though, Petty every day. Hard Promises alone could secure that.

• Like 1

For me... the album matchup is tough. Despite some killer hits, I'm not the hugest fan of Full Moon Fever in comparison with other Petty albums I've heard. Fleet Foxes debut is high quality throughout and thoroughly unlike most anything else in my collection. I don't put either one on much, but I think I'm more likely to turn to the solemn magic of Fleet Foxes than the commercial juggernaut of Full Moon Fever.

On the artist side of the coin though, Petty every day. Hard Promises alone could secure that.

HP is my favorite of the MCA Records era to be honest. It's Darkness On The Edge Of Town to DTP's Born To Run in a few ways.

• Like 1

HP is my favorite of the MCA Records era to be honest. It's Darkness On The Edge Of Town to DTP's Born To Run in a few ways.

It also leads off with perhaps his greatest song of all time, The Waiting.

• Like 1

Fleet Foxes trump pretty much everything in the world these days for me.

No-brainer! For me the finest discography of any modern band. They are like Dire Straits in a way, they sound like everything and no one else all at once.

Glad to see them mentioned. I really like Petty, but he's not a favourite of mine, and I like this album, but it's no Wildflowers.

• Like 1

I have no clue who Fleet Foxes are outside of them being a band Segue listens to.

they're a folk-y band. if folk not your thing you will NOT like them, lol

and you will think voting for them over petty is insanity.

Mick

FMF was one of those albums that has a place in my heart from my teenage years. We all loved Tom, growing up in the middle of England, which speaks for his excellence.
  • Like 1

Fleet Foxes trump pretty much everything in the world these days for me.

No-brainer! For me the finest discography of any modern band. They are like Dire Straits in a way, they sound like everything and no one else all at once.

Glad to see them mentioned. I really like Petty, but he's not a favourite of mine, and I like this album, but it's no Wildflowers.

Many years ago we went to see The Shins and Fleet Foxes opened for them. I had heard of them but not heard any of their music and I really liked them. I still prefer The Shins over FF, but not by much.

I have no clue who Fleet Foxes are outside of them being a band Segue listens to.

I don't think they are for you, and Petty is amazing so it's really not ever going to be a tough choice for you.

For the record, I think at this point I'd vote FF over Bruce Springsteen.

I don't think they are for you, and Petty is amazing so it's really not ever going to be a tough choice for you.

Hell, I'd do that and I've never heard a single song from FF.

Not a Petty fan? I really like him, often love his work, but I've never been obsessed. At least not yet.

Not a Petty fan? I really like him, often love his work, but I've never been obsessed. At least not yet.

Nope, love Petty. I was talking about BS.

Oh that's fair. As a Springsteen fan, I know his voice is especially awful for many.

Oh that's fair. As a Springsteen fan, I know his voice is especially awful for many.

My SoCal bias is towards Petty's Laurel Canyon/San Fernando sound. Springsteen has had good moments but he can get too cornball at times. I'm looking at you, Queen Of The Supermarket! Petty never made a Human Touch/Lucky Town.

Worth noting Geddy is a fan of FF.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1