Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021

treeduck

Iron Maiden didn't make it despite being the fourth voted by fans. Crap.

Guys in RnRHoF are total cretins.

The Maiden snub is kind of glaring. Fela Kuti finished 2nd because of an orchestrated campaign online in Nigeria, and I would bet most people had never heard of him otherwise. The other 4 top 5 finishers made it in, and Carole King and Todd Rundgren got in, even though they didn't finish in the top 5. Personally, I think the Foo Fighters are a decent band, but there's nothing unusual or special about them. Why them but not Foreigner? Or Stone Temple Pilots? Soundgarden? The list of "great bands who were really popular," who aren't in is pretty expansive.

• Like 1

The Maiden snub is kind of glaring. Fela Kuti finished 2nd because of an orchestrated campaign online in Nigeria, and I would bet most people had never heard of him otherwise. The other 4 top 5 finishers made it in, and Carole King and Todd Rundgren got in, even though they didn't finish in the top 5. Personally, I think the Foo Fighters are a decent band, but there's nothing unusual or special about them. Why them but not Foreigner? Or Stone Temple Pilots? Soundgarden? The list of "great bands who were really popular," who aren't in is pretty expansive.

Foreigner's not in???? I can understand an anti-grunge bias (seeing as they already have an anti-metal and anti-prog bias), but what in the heck would possibly prevent Foreigner from being in? Hot Blooded, I Want To Know What Love Is, Cold As Ice? These are standards of their era, and they have more of them. I didn't even mention Foreigner 4! That's blasphemy.

Foreigner's not in???? I can understand an anti-grunge bias (seeing as they already have an anti-metal and anti-prog bias), but what in the heck would possibly prevent Foreigner from being in? Hot Blooded, I Want To Know What Love Is, Cold As Ice? These are standards of their era, and they have more of them. I didn't even mention Foreigner 4! That's blasphemy.

Boston is also not in HOF. Their debut was one of the most successful rock albums in the USA.

• Like 1

Boston is also not in HOF. Their debut was one of the most successful rock albums in the USA.

Madness

• Like 1

I see REO Speedwagon isn't in either. I thought the reason metal and prog bands had a hard time was because of the "fame" part of the rock hall, but obviously creating massive rock and roll anthems doesn't mean a thing to those jokers either.

I see REO Speedwagon isn't in either. I thought the reason metal and prog bands had a hard time was because of the "fame" part of the rock hall, but obviously creating massive rock and roll anthems doesn't mean a thing to those jokers either.

REO is actually pretty analogous to Rush, too. Both of them blew up at about the same time (Hi InFidelity was actually bigger than MP), but weren't really big for most of their long careers. They need a good documentary about them.

• Like 2

Here's a few more I think I would've put in by now:

Alice In Chains

The B-52's

Bad Company

Billy Idol

Blue Oyster Cult

Blur

Brian Eno (at least as a producer, goodness sakes)

Chic

The Commodores

Dick Dale

Duran Duran

ELP

George Michael (pop, sure, but look what other massive pop stars are already in)

The Guess Who

INXS

Iron Maiden

Jane's Addiction

Jethro Tull

Judas Priest

King Crimson (they've become increasingly more famous in the internet age)

Kool & The Gang (funk, sure, but again, look at how not Rock and Roll the hall already is)

The Monkees (fame is the key word here)

Motley Crue (and here)

Nas (if we're gonna have rappers, he's an essential)

Oasis

The Offspring

Ozzy Osborne (is this the most egregious snub I've found so far??)

Pat Benatar

Rage Against The Machine

Smashing Pumpkins

The Smiths

Soundgarden

Steppenwolf (Born To Be Wild invented the term heavy metal, if that's not influence I don't know what is)

Stone Temple Pilots

Thin Lizzy

War

Weezer

Weird Al Yankovic

And I know there are more.

REO is actually pretty analogous to Rush, too. Both of them blew up at about the same time (Hi InFidelity was actually bigger than MP), but weren't really big for most of their long careers. They need a good documentary about them.

Yeah took them till Tuna Fish to have much of a real chart hit didn't it? They'd been around nearly a decade already by that point.

• Like 1

Yeah took them till Tuna Fish to have much of a real chart hit didn't it? They'd been around nearly a decade already by that point.

Welllllll, Ridin' The Storm Out was at least a minor hit and it came out in '73, which was 4 albums and 5 years before Tuna.

FWIW, the fan vote doesn't actually count for that much. It counts the same as one voter ballot, of which there are around 1,000 voters from what I understand. It's a publicity thing that doesn't actually move the needle at all.

Dishonesty on top of idiocy. Just beautiful.

Welllllll, Ridin' The Storm Out was at least a minor hit and it came out in '73, which was 4 albums and 5 years before Tuna.

Fair enough. But surely it wasn't as big as Time To Fly right?

Best breakup song of all time IMO.

"Hit," is a somewhat relative term when talking about this stuff. My wife, for example, would not know any of these songs (Ridin the Storm Out, Time for Me to Fly) exist.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wish that there wasn't a Hall of Fame for anything really.

The recipients who're chosen for entry into the hall; there's other's that individual's feel deserve the honor more.

You can't make everyone happy.

Regardless, I'm glad Todd Rundgren is finally getting his due.

I hope Iron Maiden makes the list next year.

Does the sports Hall of Fame go through something similar like this?

Absolutely it does. For every Willie Mays that is obviously deserving, there's a Harold Baines that makes people wonder WTF.

Does that make Frankie Frisch Jann Wenner?

• Like 1

Best breakup song of all time IMO.

"Hit," is a somewhat relative term when talking about this stuff. My wife, for example, would not know any of these songs (Ridin the Storm Out, Time for Me to Fly) exist.

Probably my favorite REO song. It's one of those perfect three chord pop songs too.

• Like 1

So, what's going to happen is that Maiden and Priest will get in, the same year.

Best. HOF. JAM. Ever. \m/

• Like 1

Here's a few more I think I would've put in by now:

Alice In Chains

The B-52's

Bad Company

Billy Idol

Blue Oyster Cult

Blur

Brian Eno (at least as a producer, goodness sakes)

Chic

The Commodores

Dick Dale

Duran Duran

ELP

George Michael (pop, sure, but look what other massive pop stars are already in)

The Guess Who

INXS

Iron Maiden

Jane's Addiction

Jethro Tull

Judas Priest

King Crimson (they've become increasingly more famous in the internet age)

Kool & The Gang (funk, sure, but again, look at how not Rock and Roll the hall already is)

The Monkees (fame is the key word here)

Motley Crue (and here)

Nas (if we're gonna have rappers, he's an essential)

Oasis

The Offspring

Ozzy Osborne (is this the most egregious snub I've found so far??)

Pat Benatar

Rage Against The Machine

Smashing Pumpkins

The Smiths

Soundgarden

Steppenwolf (Born To Be Wild invented the term heavy metal, if that's not influence I don't know what is)

Stone Temple Pilots

Thin Lizzy

War

Weezer

Weird Al Yankovic

And I know there are more.

I would add Joy Division and Pixies. They deserve induction too.

When it comes to prominent jazz guys John Coltrane should be in HOF too. Miles Davis was inducted in 2006.

• Like 1

No and not as good a song either. As Rick N. Backer said, best breakup song ever (along with maybe Miss Misery by Nazareth).

• Like 1

Happy for Todd.

He's been involved in all aspects of music for a long time and his early albums are fantastic. Something / Anything and A Wizard a True Star, etc.

We'd drive around in high school and listen to Something / Anything on 8track. :smoke: I did see Todd at the Schaefer Music Festival NYC in 1974 and I continue to see Todd when he's in town. Last time was 2016.

This

http://youtu.be/HmEXwIaSMPE

Todd totally deserves it, he’s done so much, not just his own music, but producing, etc.

• Like 2