Grammy ratings thru the floor...

So why is all this music so popular?? I have wondered this for a while. Part of me thinks I have just turned into an old man "kids don't know real music". And I expect this reaction from a Rush forum. But what is it about bland crap that appeals to the masses. It seems for the last couple of decades most artists fill the stage with dancers etc to take away from the fact that there are few or no musicians.
  • Like 1

So why is all this music so popular?? I have wondered this for a while. Part of me thinks I have just turned into an old man "kids don't know real music". And I expect this reaction from a Rush forum. But what is it about bland crap that appeals to the masses. It seems for the last couple of decades most artists fill the stage with dancers etc to take away from the fact that there are few or no musicians.

I think Neil said it all with the art as expression line.

• Like 3

I try to watch the Grammy Awards to educate myself with today's music. I last 10 mins.

Yep.

I start bitching and my teenage daughter glares at me and says you know you dont have to watch this!

I was dismissed from the room.

• Like 4

I try to watch the Grammy Awards to educate myself with today's music. I last 10 mins.

Yep.

I start bitching and my teenage daughter glares at me and says you know you dont have to watch this!

I was dismissed from the room.

Smart kid! Next time you're getting your undies in a bind I may ask you to exit the thread. lol

• Like 1

I'm gonna go with sex appeal. There's rarely any 'ugly' artists. When there are, it's noted as an exception. Because there's usually no ugly artists. Lady Gaga (and her role in "A Star Is Born", which illustrates this point a few times in the movie) is a great example of the exception to the rule. I don't care much for her music, but can't deny her talent. But she aint supermodel material like a lot of 'performers' who have recording deals right now. [and yes the same applies to males in music, but perhaps less so in the usual sexists ways things that are required for women aren't always required of men]

• Like 2

I'm gonna go with sex appeal. There's rarely any 'ugly' artists. When there are, it's noted as an exception. Because there's usually no ugly artists. Lady Gaga (and her role in "A Star Is Born", which illustrates this point a few times in the movie) is a great example of the exception to the rule. I don't care much for her music, but can't deny her talent. But she aint supermodel material like a lot of 'performers' who have recording deals right now. [and yes the same applies to males in music, but perhaps less so in the usual sexists ways things that are required for women aren't always required of men]

Yeah, She sexy af. (Lizzo) :laughing guy:

MiubqFKl.jpg

Is she an exception to the rule? Adele could be another exception. Out of a few hundred signed artists?

I didn't even think my post was much of a stretch, considering industry insiders have repeatedly explained marketing appeal in past interviews. I'm just hanging my hat on that as the primary driver for why music is taking more and more of a backseat in the value these performers offer.

Edited by stoopid

Is she an exception to the rule? Adele could be another exception. Out of a few hundred signed artists?

I didn't even think my post was much of a stretch, considering industry insiders have repeatedly explained marketing appeal in past interviews. I'm just hanging my hat on that as the primary driver for why music is taking more and more of a backseat in the value these performers offer.

At least Adele dressed appropriately (but has also now lost weight). But I get what you're saying, sex sells, and I'm sure some guys find Lizzo sexy too.

• Like 1

The Grammy ratings were down considerably this year. From the Variety article on the topic.

, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and https://variety.com/...tallion/"]Megan Thee Stallion%5B/url%5DThe primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

Maybe the lineup wasn't as impressive or as much of a powerhouse as they made it out to be. There was certainly no performer I cared to see, and while I'm not their target audience, I can't imagine there were hundreds of millions of others that didn't want to see this crap either.

I have never even heard of any of those people with the exception of Trevor Noah. I am pretty sure he is the unfunny guy who replaced Jon Stewart on the daily show.

If you're serious, you should get out more. Not that you have to like any of their music but to not even heard of them, especially John Mayer, Cardi B, and Miranda Lambert, makes it seem like you're a hermit. But, maybe you are. IDK.

How does going out more get you to know who these artists are? I don't understand that at all. If you don't like that kind of music, you're not all of a sudden going to know them just because you are going out more.

Yeah I guess the people I know don't like that shit either or maybe its more along the lines of this, I would never be friends with people who listen to pop music crap. :)

First of all, not all pop music is crap. Queen was pop. ELO was pop. Steven Wilson has made pop music. Second of all, reading magazines, news papers, social media, etc would typically expose one to them. You ever watch SNL? The news? Commercials?

Chris Martin is from Coldplay. I'd bet you've heard of them.

I find that I'm usually at least familiar with their names but don't know any of their music. Now, it's very possible I do know some songs from the current pop generation but just have no clue who does it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I thought I'd share this article penned by Canadian singer-songwriter Dan Hill regarding The Grammys.

The Grammys, a 42-year retrospective, 1979 – 2021

I agree with him that he got royally snubbed, but don't musicians and singers make music because they enjoy it and if it happens to sell records or win awards, that's a bonus? If you're selling cds or records, and people are downloading it, that means it's liked and you'll get paid. Awards are superfluous.

The show was awful

0_Woman-horrified-after-finding-huge-huntsman-spider-perched-in-her-shower.jpg

So, do you call animal control if one of those pop up in the house? Or an exterminator?

Well they have a deadly bite and they're ferociously aggressive, so interfering with them is risky.

The show was awful

0_Woman-horrified-after-finding-huge-huntsman-spider-perched-in-her-shower.jpg

So, do you call animal control if one of those pop up in the house? Or an exterminator?

Well they have a deadly bite and they're ferociously aggressive, so interfering with them is risky.

Just whack it with a shoe and then run like hell.

• Like 1

Because some of us have taste in music. They've been dead to me since Celine Dion beat Smashing Pumpkins, Beck and Fugees for AOTY. They've become full on Disney pop simps.

I'm not a listener of Celine Dion.

However I researched her 1996 recording Falling Into You, which won Album of the Year at the 39th Grammy Awards - 1997, which beat out the above mentioned.

In defense, this probably helped raise the profile of two other fellow Canadians such as Aldo Nova and Dan Hill, since they wrote, performed, and produced songs for the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJGZpwgtts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oV298uEZxA

I'm always gonna associate that song with the Geico commercial.

The Grammy ratings were down considerably this year. From the Variety article on the topic.

, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and https://variety.com/...tallion/"]Megan Thee Stallion%5B/url%5DThe primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

Maybe the lineup wasn't as impressive or as much of a powerhouse as they made it out to be. There was certainly no performer I cared to see, and while I'm not their target audience, I can't imagine there were hundreds of millions of others that didn't want to see this crap either.

I have never even heard of any of those people with the exception of Trevor Noah. I am pretty sure he is the unfunny guy who replaced Jon Stewart on the daily show.

If you're serious, you should get out more. Not that you have to like any of their music but to not even heard of them, especially John Mayer, Cardi B, and Miranda Lambert, makes it seem like you're a hermit. But, maybe you are. IDK.

How does going out more get you to know who these artists are? I don't understand that at all. If you don't like that kind of music, you're not all of a sudden going to know them just because you are going out more.

Yeah I guess the people I know don't like that shit either or maybe its more along the lines of this, I would never be friends with people who listen to pop music crap. :)

First of all, not all pop music is crap. Queen was pop. ELO was pop. Steven Wilson has made pop music. Second of all, reading magazines, news papers, social media, etc would typically expose one to them. You ever watch SNL? The news? Commercials?

Modern pop is awful to me. It's mostly childish and Disney sounding. Apart from some Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae, it's immature and doesn't appeal to more than just one demographic like the ones before the late 90s when Spice Girls and boy groups ruined it.

Coldplay was tolerable until Mylo Xyloto and the Rihanna duet. Chris is a big sellout just like Adam Levine.

You're not missing a goddamned thing.

Its amazing how much shit you steer clear of when you give up your television. I have no idea what is going on in pop culture and the ignorance is bliss!!

This is why I cut the cord and use Roku streaming channels. I only watch live channels on the Locast app for the Oscars, Rams games and Super Bowl. That's it. Used to do that for Angels baseball games but the team hasn't been good in years.

She went to Juliard and has gone outside the pop bubble with Tony Bennett so she is one of the better ones. She digs some classic metal and prog like Iron Maiden, Priest and Yes (her tee in ASIB) so she's not a phony no talent attention freak like the others.

Speaking of metal, I'm glad that Body Count won just because Ice T was one of many that the Trapt punk trolled on Twitter before getting banned for defending pedos when they're older women. No headstrong person could kick Ice T's and Danny Diablo's asses. What a moron.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

At least Adele dressed appropriately (but has also now lost weight). But I get what you're saying, sex sells, and I'm sure some guys find Lizzo sexy too.

At least Lizzo can sing better than Billie Ellish. Lizzo gets a lot of crap about her weight so I think she just decided to go with it and enjoy herself. IMHO

• Like 1

Modern pop is awful to me. It's mostly childish and Disney sounding. Apart from some Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae, it's immature and doesn't appeal to more than just one demographic like the ones before the late 90s when Spice Girls and boy groups ruined it.

Coldplay was tolerable until Mylo Xyloto and the Rihanna duet. Chris is a big sellout just like Adam Levine.

Most pop music is just click tracks and they only half sing most of the time. They all sound the same to me which isn't good.