The 2021 NHL Thread

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Another sad day for Chicago Blackhawks fans, Duncan Keith has been traded to Edmonton. It was expected since Keith asked to be traded to a western team so he could be closer to his son in Canada. Still it is sad, the core of the Cup winners now is Kane and Toews. We still don't know how Toews will perform after a year off with health issues. :ranton: I feel bad for Kane, the pressure is going to be on him even more which isn't fair. Granted they are going to be getting Seth Jones' brother Caleb but it remains to be seen what kind of mess Bowman will make of the team. :rantoff:

i guess I hadn't been paying enough attention, but I was surprised he's as veteran as he is (37?). This is probably more of an emotional blow for the Blackhawks' fans? Was he still a key performer for the team?

He'll be 38 on Friday. He was killing a lot of minutes on D, so I guess he was useful in that way. I hope he's as productive for the Oilers as Paul Coffey was in Chicago. :P

Ouch, Coffey didn't do much in the one year he was at Chicago. Bet Duncan will do better than that, he's going into it in a different frame of mind since he asked to be traded. Don't think Coffey wanted to leave Edmonton.

I imagine a lot of fans are sad, even if this was a player asking to be traded. Duncan will always be a Blackhawk, he had one fantastic career there. :notworthy:

• Like 2

Another sad day for Chicago Blackhawks fans, Duncan Keith has been traded to Edmonton. It was expected since Keith asked to be traded to a western team so he could be closer to his son in Canada. Still it is sad, the core of the Cup winners now is Kane and Toews. We still don't know how Toews will perform after a year off with health issues. :ranton: I feel bad for Kane, the pressure is going to be on him even more which isn't fair. Granted they are going to be getting Seth Jones' brother Caleb but it remains to be seen what kind of mess Bowman will make of the team. :rantoff:

i guess I hadn't been paying enough attention, but I was surprised he's as veteran as he is (37?). This is probably more of an emotional blow for the Blackhawks' fans? Was he still a key performer for the team?

He'll be 38 on Friday. He was killing a lot of minutes on D, so I guess he was useful in that way. I hope he's as productive for the Oilers as Paul Coffey was in Chicago. :P

Ouch, Coffey didn't do much in the one year he was at Chicago. Bet Duncan will do better than that, he's going into it in a different frame of mind since he asked to be traded. Don't think Coffey wanted to leave Edmonton.

I imagine a lot of fans are sad, even if this was a player asking to be traded. Duncan will always be a Blackhawk, he had one fantastic career there. :notworthy:

Coffey wanted more money so Edmonton traded him to Pittsburgh. Keith's number will probably be retired in Chicago.
  • Like 1

Well The unprotected list was released today. Although I realize this all part of the sport, I am very sad to see some of the names on this list...

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Available

Alex Barre-Boulet (F)

Blake Coleman (F)

Ross Colton (F)

Yanni Gourde (F)

Tyler Johnson (F)

Mathieu Joseph (F) Boris Katchouk (F)

Alex Killorn (F)

Pat Maroon (F)

Boo Nieves (F)

Ondrej Palat (F)

Taylor Raddysh (F) Gemel Smith (F)

Otto Somppi (F)

Mitchell Stephens (F)

Daniel Walcott (F)

Luke Witkowski (F)

Andreas Borgman (D)

Fredrik Claesson (D)

Sean Day (D)

Cal Foote (D)

Brian Lashoff (D)

Dominik Masin (D)

Jan Rutta (D)

David Savard (D)

Luke Schenn (D)

Ben Thomas (D)

Christopher Gibson (G)

Spencer Martin (G)

Curtis McElhinney (G)

Well The unprotected list was released today. Although I realize this all part of the sport, I am very sad to see some of the names on this list...

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Available

Alex Barre-Boulet (F)

Blake Coleman (F)

Ross Colton (F)

Yanni Gourde (F)

Tyler Johnson (F)

Alex Killorn (F)

Pat Maroon (F)

Boo Nieves (F)

Ondrej Palat (F)

Otto Somppi (F)

Mitchell Stephens (F)

Daniel Walcott (F)

Luke Witkowski (F)

Andreas Borgman (D)

Fredrik Claesson (D)

Sean Day (D)

Cal Foote (D)

Brian Lashoff (D)

Dominik Masin (D)

Jan Rutta (D)

David Savard (D)

Luke Schenn (D)

Ben Thomas (D)

Christopher Gibson (G)

Spencer Martin (G)

Curtis McElhinney (G)

I'm thinkin' Gourde.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Available

Alex Barre-Boulet (F)

Blake Coleman (F)

Ross Colton (F)

Yanni Gourde (F)

Tyler Johnson (F)

Alex Killorn (F)

Pat Maroon (F)

Boo Nieves (F)

Ondrej Palat (F)

Otto Somppi (F)

Mitchell Stephens (F)

Daniel Walcott (F)

Luke Witkowski (F)

Andreas Borgman (D)

Fredrik Claesson (D)

Sean Day (D)

Cal Foote (D)

Brian Lashoff (D)

Dominik Masin (D)

Jan Rutta (D)

David Savard (D)

Luke Schenn (D)

Ben Thomas (D)

Christopher Gibson (G)

Spencer Martin (G)

Curtis McElhinney (G)

I'm thinkin' Gourde.

I'm thinking there gonna go after one of the younger guys like Matthieu Joseph, Blake Coleman or Ross Colton

• Like 1

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Available

Alex Barre-Boulet (F)

Blake Coleman (F)

Ross Colton (F)

Yanni Gourde (F)

Tyler Johnson (F)

Alex Killorn (F)

Pat Maroon (F)

Boo Nieves (F)

Ondrej Palat (F)

Otto Somppi (F)

Mitchell Stephens (F)

Daniel Walcott (F)

Luke Witkowski (F)

Andreas Borgman (D)

Fredrik Claesson (D)

Sean Day (D)

Cal Foote (D)

Brian Lashoff (D)

Dominik Masin (D)

Jan Rutta (D)

David Savard (D)

Luke Schenn (D)

Ben Thomas (D)

Christopher Gibson (G)

Spencer Martin (G)

Curtis McElhinney (G)

I'm thinkin' Gourde.

I'm thinking there gonna go after one of the younger guys like Matthieu Joseph, Blake Coleman or Ross Colton

Coleman is the same age as Gourde. Colton would be a logical choice, if Seattle wants to go the young route with you guys. I'd still go with Gourde.

Avs are protecting Kadri? Plus leaving Landeskog hanging in the wind? Seriously Sakic, I don't get this choice at all. :rage:
  • Like 1

Sad day for me as Yanni Gourde is plucked by the Kracken :(

Same feeling here as they picked the Washington Caps Vitek Vanacek. He rotated from the Caps back to Hershey pretty often and it was always fun to see him in goal.

• Like 1

Same feeling here as they picked the Washington Caps Vitek Vanacek. He rotated from the Caps back to Hershey pretty often and it was always fun to see him in goal.

Hawks 'lose' Quenneville. Lots of no-names on Kraken's list. :eh:
  • Like 2

Avs are protecting Kadri? Plus leaving Landeskog hanging in the wind? Seriously Sakic, I don't get this choice at all. :rage:

Landeskoh is a free agent I think, there's probably some weirdness going on

• Like 1

Seems the Kraken are going for a young team, lots of names I didn't recognize but Giordano will be a good veteran for them. I do like their logo and jersey. What cracked me up was couple of the football players trying to say the players names....Marshawn almost said WTF when he had to say Calle Jarnkrok :laughing guy:
  • Like 3

No sooner than the expansion draft closes, Kraken announce Gourde will be having shoulder surgery and be out for the first two months of next season. :huh:

• Like 1

Seems the Kraken are going for a young team, lots of names I didn't recognize but Giordano will be a good veteran for them. I do like their logo and jersey. What cracked me up was couple of the football players trying to say the players names....Marshawn almost said WTF when he had to say Calle Jarnkrok :laughing guy:

They should've given them a Brzeczyszczykiewicz just for kicks. Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 3

2021-22 schedule released. ESPN & ESPN+ kick it off October 12th with the Pens at the Bolts and the Kraken vs Golden Knights. Can't come soon enougn!
  • Like 2

2021-22 schedule released. ESPN & ESPN+ kick it off October 12th with the Pens at the Bolts and the Kraken vs Golden Knights. Can't come soon enougn!

If ESPN's coverage of the expansion draft was any indication, they are not ready to cover the NHL. They were cringey and embarrassing.

• Like 2

If ESPN's coverage of the expansion draft was any indication, they are not ready to cover the NHL. They were cringey and embarrassing.

That was my take too, I was wondering why on earth the NHL would let ESPN near hockey again. They were always shunted to the side for basketball so I doubt things have changed much. I miss NBC already :sigh:

I also hope stupid Comcast can get it together and carry Altitude again so I can watch the Avs.. :smash:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

What little of the draft I watched was cringey and boring. I didn't see any fire or excitement. If pbp isnt any better than this, the season will be disgusting. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

So now the Hawks have the Jones Brothers and rumors are swirling that they are trying to get Lehner back from the Knights. Another member of the Cup winning teams for Chicago 2010, 2013, and 2015, Niklas Hjalmarsson is retiring from the Arizona Coyotes. The 28th will be a busy day, it is looking like the Avs are going to let Landeskog go and possibly Grubauer. Crazy stuff.. Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

So now the Hawks have the Jones Brothers and rumors are swirling that they are trying to get Lehner back from the Knights. Another member of the Cup winning teams for Chicago 2010, 2013, and 2015, Niklas Hjalmarsson is retiring from the Arizona Coyotes. The 28th will be a busy day, it is looking like the Avs are going to let Landeskog go and possibly Grubauer. Crazy stuff..

Rumors missed it by that much, we're getting Fleury. I wish he wasn't 37. :eyeroll: