The Ultimate Music Recommendation Thread

Entre_Perpetuo

Here is a thread for people to ask other people for music recommendations. Feel free to also just freely recommend music to specific users here you think they'll like!

To get things started, seeing as I'm finally on a break from school, if you've given me any music recs in the past few months that I haven't come back and told you I listened to, I'd be grateful to get those recs again now that I have time! I think J2112YYZ had one for me, and I think Segue had another...

• Like 1

Hmm... I want to say it was something from Nightwish or Within Temptation that I recommended to you. Does that sound familiar? It does to me.

That sounds familiar in that I think Segue recommended those to me as well. I think you also recommended something Canadian to me?

Hmm... I want to say it was something from Nightwish or Within Temptation that I recommended to you. Does that sound familiar? It does to me.

That sounds familiar in that I think Segue recommended those to me as well. I think you also recommended something Canadian to me?

Oh yeah, The Tea Party. Check out the album Edges Of Twilight. For Nightwish and Within Temptation it was probably Dark Passion Play and The Heart Of Everything.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, The Tea Party. Check out the album Edges Of Twilight. For Nightwish and Within Temptation it was probably Dark Passion Play and The Heart Of Everything.

That was it! Will do! :)

• Like 1

Ah!!! ... This seems like an interesting thread!

In my endless quest to listen to new stuff I shall throw something out to the forum to see what feedback I can get.

So, I want some stuff by bands I have either ignored or just didn't encounter over the years.

I am going to pick a common theme - They are to be Canadian in origin ....... hopefully that will resonate with some of you.

I have picked three bands which seem to have been around a while but I just have not listened to ....

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

What I am looking for is ..... (yeah, I know, I'm not looking for much lol!) .... An indication of their style, recommended best albums to start with, and albums to avoid.

Or.... are there other bands out there you would suggest as alternatives .... I am familiar with the likes of Saga, Triumph, April Wine and any of the big-hitters internationally.

If I can get a few album suggestions, they will go on to the beer-fueled weekend jukebox for my critical appraisal!!!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

In my endless quest to listen to new stuff I shall throw something out to the forum to see what feedback I can get.

So, I want some stuff by bands I have either ignored or just didn't encounter over the years.

I am going to pick a common theme - They are to be Canadian in origin ....... hopefully that will resonate with some of you.

I have picked three bands which seem to have been around a while but I just have not listened to ....

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

What I am looking for is ..... (yeah, I know, I'm not looking for much lol!) .... An indication of their style, recommended best albums to start with, and albums to avoid.

Or.... are there other bands out there you would suggest as alternatives .... I am familiar with the likes of Saga, Triumph, April Wine and any of the big-hitters internationally.

If I can get a few album suggestions, they will go on to the beer-fueled weekend jukebox for my critical appraisal!!!

Strapping young lad! It is ferocious.

Led by hevy devy aka Devin townsend.

I am not really a fan but devin is an incredible vocalist and his solo stuff is cool. Good guitar player too.

Devin sang natural science on the rush tribute disc , working man.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 3

Criminally underrated band from the late 60s. If you don't know them, here's the place to start.

0001168984.jpg

First band I ever saw in concert at the Fillmore East in October 1969. Believe it or not, The Kinks played with them, but they weren't the lead band - Spirit was..

Great band and music and, yes, very much overlooked back then and mostly forgotten today.

• Like 2

I sat down with Edges Of Twilight last night, I really enjoyed it! Excellent album with lots of different twists and turns and good melodies throughout. Thank you for the rec. :)

• Like 2

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

I am not really a fan but devin is an incredible vocalist and his solo stuff is cool. Good guitar player too.

I forgot he was Canadian! I have only one album from him, Transcendence, but the name speaks for itself.

• Like 3

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

I have the first Arcade Fire EP, and their first album Funeral. And nothing else by them! I was into them right at the beginning... 2003 or 4 I think. I still think Funeral has some brilliant songs on it - Wake Up is well known, but Neighbourhood#1 (Tunnels), Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out) and Rebellion (Lies) are outstanding. I don`t know why but their follow-up records never seemed as good. But I think it`s more because I moved away from them. Funeral turns up on a hell of a lot of "best of all time" lists, and they`ve got a point. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

I forgot he was Canadian! I have only one album from him, Transcendence, but the name speaks for itself.

He`s all over the early Steve Vai record, Sex and Religion, too.
  • Like 3

Criminally underrated band from the late 60s. If you don't know them, here's the place to start.

0001168984.jpg

First band I ever saw in concert at the Fillmore East in October 1969. Believe it or not, The Kinks played with them, but they weren't the lead band - Spirit was..

Great band and music and, yes, very much overlooked back then and mostly forgotten today.

Dayum, what a show.

I sat down with Edges Of Twilight last night, I really enjoyed it! Excellent album with lots of different twists and turns and good melodies throughout. Thank you for the rec. :)

Awesome! I figured you would enjoy them. For a trio they have a hell of a lot going on musically. Give the album Splendor Solis a listen. It was their first album released before Edges and has a similar sound.

• Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

PUP's three albums are worth checking out. They just released an EP called This Place Sucks Ass. Good hardcore pop punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IM472k0Md8

• Like 1

What were your favorite songs? Fire In The Head, Correspondences and Sister Awake are mine.

• Like 1

What were your favorite songs? Fire In The Head, Correspondences and Sister Awake are mine.

Fire In The Head, Correspondences, and Sister Awake were all major highlights, I agree. I also really loved The Badger (just beautiful guitar playing) and Walk With Me.

• Like 1