Limelight: Rush in the '80s

Rod in Toronto

I was thinking of purchasing the 'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' book. Can any of you guys recommend it?

Yes, that book I can recommend, just for the cool pictures and the thoroughness of the history. It's probably not the kind of thing you'll pick up and spend an evening reading, but to dip in and out of it is quite nice and useful. It is a bit of an investment, but as it can also double as a heavy concrete slab, you might find extra uses for it.

Yes, I like the look of it! Since Covid started in March, I have really been focusing on collecting live shows from throughout Rush's career. I thought the book would be a good cross-reference of the live shows.
  • Like 2

I was thinking of purchasing the 'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' book. Can any of you guys recommend it?

Yes, that book I can recommend, just for the cool pictures and the thoroughness of the history. It's probably not the kind of thing you'll pick up and spend an evening reading, but to dip in and out of it is quite nice and useful. It is a bit of an investment, but as it can also double as a heavy concrete slab, you might find extra uses for it.

I found it fascinating! Nova is right, the only drawback is that it is so heavy! :LOL: I couldn't read it my usual way, propped up on my tummy, it almost drilled a hole in me. I sit at the kitchen table and enjoy it there.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! You have talked me into it!!

I think you will like it. My husband even enjoyed reading it and he's not much of a Rush fan (Deep Purple, instead.). He had fun reading the old theaters, reviews and opening bands they used to use; it brought back a lot of memories of old concerts!

• Like 1

Pretty much an encyclopedia of sorts. Dates, attendance, local media articles, nicely made and a big, heavy book.

My birthday present almost two years ago :)

• Like 3

Flushed with success betting on the horses yesterday (and a few beers!) 'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' was duly ordered last night. It arrives on Wednesday.
  • Like 3

'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' arrived today!!

I would say that it would make a great coffee table book except that the legs on my coffee table couldn't take the weight!!! It is a massive book!

Having literally just had a quick browse, It is exactly what I am looking for in terms of the tour details, setlists etc. Perfect for cross referencing against my live sources.

• Like 2

"Wandering the Face of the Earth" is the single best Rush book ever published. Every Rush fan should own it.

It IS amazing. I went to the book release party here in Toronto last year, which had the authors, and a few key figures of the band in a panel. Including John Rutsey's brother, who actually named the band, and one of their first roadies.

How is this going to be much different than the two or three previous coffee table books Popoff wrote about Rush album by album?

The Rush: Album by Album book is terrible. It has a few interesting anecdotes from insiders like Ian Grandy about the very early days, but as it gets deeper into the band's career, it devolves into a collection of opinions from other famous people (Billy Corgan, Jack Black, etc.) that provide no new insight into the music. I gave up reading it halfway through because I wasn't learning anything at all from it. Avoid avoid avoid.

To be honest, I hadn't paid any attention to Popoff's latest series of books because that one was so bad. Seeing as people here are actually finding something worthwhile in them, though, I might check them out.