1986 - THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 6 - Which album from this list of 1986 releases do you consider to be the best?

treeduck

1986 THE YEAR  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you rank #1 from this list of 1986 releases

• Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin
    • Queensryche - Rage For Order
    • Loudness - Lightning Strikes
    • Black Sabbath - Seventh Star
    • Kansas - Power
    • Van Halen - 5150
    • Judas Priest - Turbo
    • Queen - A Kind of Magic
    • Megadeth - Peace Sells...but Who's Buying?
    • Boston - Third Stage
    • Journey - Raised on Radio
    • TOTO - Fahrenheit
    • Accept - Russian Roulette
    • Motorhead - Orgasmatron
    • W.A.S.P. - Inside the Electric Circus
    • Metallica - Master of Puppets
    • Slayer - Reign in Blood
    • Allan Holdsworth - Atavachron
    • Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
    • Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
    • Survivor - When Seconds Count
    • Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye
    • Joe Satriani - Not of This Earth
    • David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em and Smile
    • Eric Johnson - Tones
    • Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy
    • Tony MacAlpine - Edge of Insanity
    • Public Image Ltd - Album
    • M.A.R.S. - Project: Driver
    • Giuffria - Silk + Steel
    • Europe - The Final Countdown
    • Stryper - To Hell With the Devil
    • Ratt - Dancing Undercover
    • Voivod - Rrröööaaarrr
    • Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
    • Triumph - The Sport of Kings
    • Genesis - Invisible Touch
    • Racer X - Street Lethal
    • Billy Idol - Whiplash Smile
    • The Chick Corea Elektric Band - The Chick Corea Elektric Band

Invisible Touch, if I'm being objective, is a great album. But Master of Puppets is just great metal at a time when metal was still being defined, more of a trend setter.

Puppets. And it's not close.

I am not a big fan.....I get it. They were never my cup of tea....ever. I like some of their tunes. But the whole speed metal was a big dud for me. Never got into it nor his awful voice. I do like some tunes on Puppets....And Justice For All and who cannot love the Black album. And I actually quite enjoyed their latest record. The vocals though on the early music was...ugh. And again...speed metal...not my thing. When they matured in their song writing in the later years I became more receptive.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Take back my vote, did not realise Toto's Fahrenheit was on the list!

Possibly my number one album of the decade.

I really like Van Hagar's 5150 so I voted that. (I also really enjoyed Slippery When Wet as a pop thing for a long time though, even though the guy that cut my hair used to bitch about JBJ's obvious hair extensions! :LOL:)

XWIrL6gm.jpg

Edited by blueschica

There is only one album here that features a band at its apex: Slippery When Wet

Sad to say, but that's THE album of 1986 from those listed.

I saw several UK tours in 86, Ozzy, Queen, Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, WASP, Accept...but quite a few didn't make it over here on those tours, including VH, DLR and Priest.

Based on our expectations/worries as to whether DLR could survive beyond Halen, and the quality resultant album, along with Skyscraper, I'd go with Eat Em and Smile.

Managed to see Dave once only, Donington 88, which I have no recollection of whatsoever.....drink man, so sad.

Edited by alpha p

Reign in Blood was a game changer with regards to aggressiveness, speed, and morbid lyrics. I remember a cassette tape being passed around high school. I put it in my "sports" walkman and I was officially turned to the dark side! BWahahhaa! EVIL!!!!

I went with Master of Puppets but if The Ultimate Sin had more consistently good moments like what that album does have, it would be competition for it.

I still have Orgasmatron, but never found it to be exceptional. Maybe I need to give it another listen.

This appears to the last decent year of 1980s music IMHO. 1987-1989 were more blah musically than I even remember them being.

There's some good ones for me in the list Queensryche, David Lee Roth, Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson Loudness, Queen, Toto, Billy Idol, Stryper. Overall though my favourite is Ozzy's Ultimate Sin.

tons of great stuff in these 80s polls, great job listing some of the lesser known gems of the day. this is really where "mainstream" metal takes a bit of a nosedive for me, at least maiden hadn't lost the plot yet but other heavy hitters tried their hand at def leppard and failed severely. meanwhile, independent music was thriving. unlike in the 70s, it seems like creativity and originality wasn't as financially rewarded in the 80s, and it hasn't really changed. obviously there are plenty of times the general public gets it right though

I could name a shitload of good metal albums from these years that didn't even make the poll

• Like 1

tons of great stuff in these 80s polls, great job listing some of the lesser known gems of the day. this is really where "mainstream" metal takes a bit of a nosedive for me, at least maiden hadn't lost the plot yet but other heavy hitters tried their hand at def leppard and failed severely. meanwhile, independent music was thriving. unlike in the 70s, it seems like creativity and originality wasn't as financially rewarded in the 80s, and it hasn't really changed. obviously there are plenty of times the general public gets it right though

I could name a shitload of good metal albums from these years that didn't even make the poll

Are you voting in this one?